Junk Food in Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait, so pesticides in beans, apples, and cranberries make you fat? Are we to assume that the pesticides in these foods synergize with the calories in big macs and twinkies to make America fat?

Interesting thought. Main cause? Doubtful. Contributory? Possibly

One thing is interesting...obesity is becoming a sign of poverty in America. Similar to how being tan was back in Renaissance Europe.

Members don't see this ad.

Wait, so pesticides in beans, apples, and cranberries make you fat? Are we to assume that the pesticides in these foods synergize with the calories in big macs and twinkies to make America fat?

Interesting thought. Main cause? Doubtful. Contributory? Possibly

One thing is interesting...obesity is becoming a sign of poverty in America. Similar to how being tan was back in Renaissance Europe.

Whether pesticides and other environmental chemicals/toxins make us fat or not, they should be avoided if possible for overall health reasons. Cost of organic foods is an issue but from what I've seen it's getting a little better. And poverty is also stressful, which helps pack on the pounds as well.

I ate so much talapia in undergrad I think I got mercury poisoning once or thrice. Now that I am entering my first year of med school I am confident that the two years of eating my own disgusting cooking in undergrad has made me a terrific cook for a busy person.

Also, European ovens are great if you are only cooking for yourself. Very little clean-up and they make d@mn near everything from bagles to chicken to french fries.

Members don't see this ad :)
recent paper on PBDEs:

http://www.ehponline.org/members/2009/0900817/0900817.pdf

RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, N.C. July 13, 2009 - A study published online 18 June 2009 ahead of print in the peer-reviewed journal Environmental Health Perspectives (EHP) suggests that diet is an important route of exposure to polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs). PBDEs are a class of flame ******ants that are commonly found in consumer products such as polyurethane foam, electronics and textiles.

PBDEs have been measured in dust, air and both animal- and plant-derived foods. Dust has been thought to be the foremost route of exposure to PBDEs, but the new findings of this study suggest that diet also may play a significant role. Serum levels of PBDE congeners were associated with consumption of fat from poultry and red meat but not with consumption of fish or dairy products.

Although it is not known how flame ******ants get into commercial animal products, possibilities include the contamination of animal feed, contamination during processing or packaging and general contamination of the environment. PBDEs accumulate in fat tissue and resist degradation in the environment.

"Our study offers the first large-scale look at the effect of the American diet on PBDE body burdens showing significant associations with poultry and red meat consumption," wrote the team of authors from the Boston University School of Public Health. "As PBDE-containing products continue to degrade and enter the waste stream in larger amounts, future exposure to PBDEs may begin to shift more heavily from the indoor environment to the outdoor environment and, consequently, the diet."

PBDEs have been shown to cause adverse endocrine, neurologic and hepatic effects in laboratory animals. Human studies to date suggest PBDEs may affect male development, reproductive hormones and fertility and thyroid hormone homeostasis.

Being skeptical is ok. But anyone who wants to see "proof" that pesticides and other chemicals are actually harmful is just not logical. There are thousands of chemicals out there. Don't expect anyone to do research on most of them any time soon. Why do it anyway? In this country we wait until you're sick and then we try to cure you. Who in his right mind would spend all that time to study a pesticide just to warn the public that it is dangerous? Use some common sense here. If it is a chemical that is not usually found in food, you're better off to stay the hell away from it. That's more common sense than trying research every chemical in our food to prove to you that they are dangerous. I care about this issue, but I myself would never spend so much time researching any chemical. It just doesn't make sense.

The above doesn't mean that the function of most pesticides are unknown. Some have been shown to be carcinogens and neurotoxins, yet they are still in our foods all the same. So what's the point of research again?

I am surprised that a few would-be doctors here tried to mock an idea by claiming that somehow pesticides have calories. Even if you didn't care to read the whole thread and to see the arguments about why they could be implicated in obesity, one would hope that a future doctor would have the foresight to understand that any given chemical can affect the body in a number of ways. Always thinking of calories and the most rudimentary energy transfer doesn't say much about your cognitive abilities to understand a given mechanism. I am a strong believer in the view that there are actually questions that are just unintelligent.

cluelessness.jpg

Last edited:
I ate so much talapia in undergrad I think I got mercury poisoning once or thrice. Now that I am entering my first year of med school I am confident that the two years of eating my own disgusting cooking in undergrad has made me a terrific cook for a busy person.

Also, European ovens are great if you are only cooking for yourself. Very little clean-up and they make d@mn near everything from bagles to chicken to french fries.

Tilapia isn't a mercury carrying fish.

If you showed any evidence of pesticides causing obesity, I would give you more credence. Your response was basically "there are thousands of chemicals that haven't tested, so let's assume it is causing obesity". Why can't you assume that some cause weight loss? Or hair to turn pink? Or IQ to shoot up 20 points?

Being skeptical is ok. But anyone who wants to see "proof" that pesticides and other chemicals are actually harmful is just not logical. There are thousands of chemicals out there. Don't expect anyone to do research on most of them any time soon. Why do it anyway? In this country we wait until you're sick and then we try to cure you. Who in his right mind would spend all that time to study a pesticide just to warn the public that it is dangerous? Use some common sense here. If it is a chemical that is not usually found in food, you're better off to stay the hell away from it. That's more common sense than trying research every chemical in our food to prove to you that they are dangerous. I care about this issue, but I myself would never spend so much time researching any chemical. It just doesn't make sense.

The above doesn't mean that the function of most pesticides are unknown. Some have been shown to be carcinogens and neurotoxins, yet they are still in our foods all the same. So what's the point of research again?

I am surprised that a few would-be doctors here tried to mock an idea by claiming that somehow pesticides have calories. Even if you didn't care to read the whole thread and to see the arguments about why they could be implicated in obesity, one would hope that a future doctor would have the foresight to understand that any given chemical can affect the body in a number of ways. Always thinking of calories and the most rudimentary energy transfer doesn't say much about your cognitive abilities to understand a given mechanism. I am a strong believer in the view that there are actually questions that are just unintelligent.

cluelessness.jpg

If you showed any evidence of pesticides causing obesity, I would give you more credence. Your response was basically "there are thousands of chemicals that haven't tested, so let's assume it is causing obesity". Why can't you assume that some cause weight loss? Or hair to turn pink? Or IQ to shoot up 20 points?

Start here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Read it and report back. You can also go to PubMed and search "obesogen" for others. Have fun.

Start here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Read it and report back. You can also go to PubMed and search "obesogen" for others. Have fun.
You are too generous. We are talking about a student who is already in medschool and should be able to figure out some of this stuff on his own. Using google isn't that difficult either if one needs a paper to have a clue as to how a given chemical could affect any given organism. But so be it. I just have a feeling that your kindness is going to be repaid by lack of understanding and appreciation. You can only lead a horse to the water...

Start here:

I read that article, as well as a more prominent one in Endocrinology a few years back. Most of the data is very limited to in vitro studies and at concentrations that would never be approached in a normal diet of non-organic food. Furthermore, the most supported (and not even that strongly supported) substance that acts on the endocrine system is from plastics, not pesticides or herbicides. It is so obvious that even if some synthetic compounds cause weight gain, which has not been close to proven, the reasons for recent weight gain are the huge increase in food production efficiency (which ironicly enough is partially due to herbicides, pesticides, and genetic selection) and the decrease in the proportion of jobs that require physical labor.

If any of these evil chemicals or herbicides were in fact truly effective in making humans more efficient at storing energy, it would be a great step forward in combating starvation in the 3rd world.

You are too generous. We are talking about a student who is already in medschool and should be able to figure out some of this stuff on his own. Using google isn't that difficult either if one needs a paper to have a clue as to how a given chemical could affect any given organism. But so be it. I just have a feeling that your kindness is going to be repaid by lack of understanding and appreciation. You can only lead a horse to the water...

I despise Salvadore Dali's mustache! It was a thin crappy creepy waxed mustache, a despicable thing. Whenever I see that disgusting little mustache, I go watch reruns of Tom Selleck and Magnum PI, a manly mustache, a welcome contrast. "Storm over Toledo" crushes Dali.

I despise Salvadore Dali's mustache! It was a thin crappy creepy waxed mustache, a despicable thing. Whenever I see that disgusting little mustache, I go watch reruns of Tom Selleck and Magnum PI, a manly mustache, a welcome contrast. "Storm over Toledo" crushes Dali.
Hahahahahaha. I don't like mustaches either. However, Dali is an exception. His mustache was truly a work of art. So was his character, for that matter. He was so crazy that the mustache should be the least of your worries. And if you read his bio, you'll see that in fact he wasn't crazy. He just was very intelligent and knew how to promote himself. Mustache was part of the "image."

dali-mustache.jpeg

Members don't see this ad :)
My future mother-in-law got me the complete idiot's guide to cooking... for guys. I have no idea how to cook, so this will be interesting. I'm going to male a serious effort to continue eating healthy

newsflash: they use pesticides in china. They are not fat. Lets not try to find excuses for our sedentary lifestyles and overconsumption of calories.

"Endocrine disruptor" - haha. how far along are you in med school?

cluelessness.jpg

And heeeere's where you lose me. You have a different opinion, fine. You even want to try to educate on your different opinion, fine.

But when you stoop to name calling, and even including a graphic to emphasize, you lose all credibility.

Reminds me of the kid in the sandbox who gets all upset and stomps home with his toys.

Too bad... I was enjoying the exchange of posts until this.

newsflash: they use pesticides in china. They are not fat. Lets not try to find excuses for our sedentary lifestyles and overconsumption of calories.

"Endocrine disruptor" - haha. how far along are you in med school?

Endocrine disruptor is a term used by experts in the field. Apparently you don't read this literature?

I love junk food, I think it's probably the biggest part of my food pyramid. The main bulk of junk food for me comes from snacks, but I love eating fast food and other stuff as well. One of my friends is trying hard to stop eating fast food because he is gonna be a "doctor", but I told him my stragety...

Me: Ma'am, you're gonna have to start up a diet and stray away from McD's. They are bad for you and you should say NO!
Ma'am: OK. Thank you

1 minute later

*Pulls out Big Mac and savors every bite*

:laugh:

I love junk food, I think it's probably the biggest part of my food pyramid. The main bulk of junk food for me comes from snacks, but I love eating fast food and other stuff as well. One of my friends is trying hard to stop eating fast food because he is gonna be a "doctor", but I told him my stragety...

Me: Ma'am, you're gonna have to start up a diet and stray away from McD's. They are bad for you and you should say NO!
Ma'am: OK. Thank you

1 minute later

*Pulls out Big Mac and savors every bite*

Yeah, everything to do with the pesticides and nothing to do with this kind of behavior.

Yeah, everything to do with the pesticides and nothing to do with this kind of behavior.

No one said pesticides are everything and behavior is unimportant. Let's not get carried away.

No one said pesticides are everything and behavior is unimportant. Let's not get carried away.

Oh, I know. In this thread, anyway. In the news, you would think that pesticides are the only reason that many people are as fat as a hog.

I have food sensitivities that have forced me to continue to eat healthily as a medstudent. I usually can't eat anything served in the cafeteria or sold in the vending machine and I can't call out for pizza or hit subway with my classmates. I have to bring my lunch with me everyday and I usually just make enough at dinner for 3 servings (dinner for me and my husband and lunch for me). I'm a big fan of things that I can cook a big pot of and then eat off of for 2 days like beef stew or homemade tomato meat sauce. Also do alot of grilling on the george forman or broiling + veggies. Salads are super fast too. For the clinic I'm planning on carrying protein bars with me so I can get a fast lunch everyday.

I actually often buy the pre-made food at the grocery store. Not the boxed kind with preservatives but the stuff made fresh by the store usually near the deli's. It seems expensive but one of their $6.50 meals can last me for three dinners so I figure its not so bad. I'm a tiny person though.

I eat a lot of cereal, soup, and salads also. Its not that hard to make. I'm probably the world's worst cook. I also sometimes get frozen fruit thats cheap and eat it cold. Rather tasty.

So I've been noticing that I've been living mainly on ramen noodles for most of the last week or so...The particular kind of instant noodle I'm eating right now included a packet of sesame oil and a block of dehydrated egg (yeah, I know) with the requisite powdered stock and noodle cake. :barf:

I've lost weight during med school so far because I find meals are a waste of time when I could be sleeping or studying. Often, I settle for fruit I have stashed in my room, a dinky little sandwich from the local 7-11, a bag of chips, or the aforementioned ramen. And I can't be alone in this.

So what are your favorite junk foods in med school? (Or, if you don't eat junk and manage to stay healthy, then what do you eat? How do you find time to prepare it? etc.)
:spam: :spam: :spam:

I actually often buy the pre-made food at the grocery store. Not the boxed kind with preservatives but the stuff made fresh by the store usually near the deli's. It seems expensive but one of their $6.50 meals can last me for three dinners so I figure its not so bad. I'm a tiny person though.

I eat a lot of cereal, soup, and salads also. Its not that hard to make. I'm probably the world's worst cook. I also sometimes get frozen fruit thats cheap and eat it cold. Rather tasty.

Ohhh, I love those ideas. Snacking on frozen fruit while studying is the best idea ever, since it takes forever to eat and tastes just like candy! Just make sure to portion it out so you don't accidentally mindlessly eat the entire 3 lb bag or whatnot.

Although I'm not a medical student, I'm wondering what everyone eats for breakfast that's filling and healthy? Unfortunately oatmeal and cereal both tend to make me very hungry about an hour or two later, which defeats the point of eating breakfast in the first place. I guess fruit might be a good idea, but it's just not enough food for a full breakfast.

I'm wondering what everyone eats for breakfast that's filling and healthy? Unfortunately oatmeal and cereal both tend to make me very hungry about an hour or two later, which defeats the point of eating breakfast in the first place. I guess fruit might be a good idea, but it's just not enough food for a full breakfast.

On days I eat oatmeal, I bring an apple or a banana for the pre lunch pangs. Also a good bet is to get those cartons of egg whites and make a "McMuffin".

i make everything in huge amounts and eat it forever. it's boring, but life goes on. whole grain pasta, whatever sauce is on sale, chicken breast or meat balls (depending on my iron levels that week), frozen veggies. i eat cereal a lot, and tuna (not together, of course). i live in philly, and i just can't bear to eat another cheesesteak. i swear, in a world of cheesesteaks i would prefer to starve. fiber one bars are good. oatmeal, apples. oh, and i drink about my body weight in coffee everyday.

toasted blueberry bagel with peanut butter mmmmmmm

It really doesn't take that much more time to prepare something healthy than it does to cook ramen.

I cook a lot of pasta, turkey burgers, fish tacos, salads with chicken.

such the model student! I wanna be just like you next block!

You know I like to cook (and BTW...that food I made for breakfast that time is definitely not the norm...LOL), but I have honestly only cooked one time this entire semester!

That's pretty sad! Luckily I have such an amazing mother that she pretty much cooked enough lean protein for me that I just have to thaw out, heat up, add leafy greens, and then leave!

wow, and you lose weight with these junk? I go straight for Fruit Snack (gummy fruit flavored candy) and all sugary baked goods available

so far, gained 10 lbs

I eat tequila and steak for breakfast, crack and hot sauce for lunch, and a tub of lard for dinner. I am also an Olympic athlete and 4.0 med student. My genes triumph over all of yours.

You must be quite a daredevil. Riding your bike in the carpool lane, holding the cereal bowl with one hand, the spoon with the other, and trying to muster all your cerebellar power to guide the spoon through your helmet into your mouth without spilling any of the milk into your eyes, nostrils, and ears. Well, actually they would be more like hitting you in the face at over 65mph!

Ok, so let me know how it goes. If you manage to do it, I will need some photographic evidence. And your entrance into the Guinness hall of fame will be automatic. Do you think you can put it as an EC on your pre-residency resume? Hahahaha.

hahaha except that it would just fall straight down... unless you instantaneouly stopped the car while the milk and cereal were in mid-air.

I eat tequila and steak for breakfast, crack and hot sauce for lunch, and a tub of lard for dinner. I am also an Olympic athlete and 4.0 med student. My genes triumph over all of yours.

Actually,

I just talked to God and he just said you are going to die on Thursday! But he said, Beyonce, Megan Fox, and I on the other hand, would be the only ones to survive what's to come in 2012. So basically I will be the new Adam, paired with two gorgeous Eve's (he realized one was not enough last time)!

Clearly my genes are better!

Oh...BTW...you might want to eat Turkey and gravy tomorrow since it will be the last time you will get to taste it!

of course I am kidding

hahaha except that it would just fall straight down... unless you instantaneouly stopped the car while the milk and cereal were in mid-air.

An astute physical observation considering that both you and thy milk are moving at the same speed. However, even if you are not accelerating or decelerating, you are forgetting the frictional force of the air (cv^2). So, regardless of your acceleration, as soon as your spoonfull is lifted out of the shelter of your bowl, the contents will immediately be accelerated until they hit the velocity of your bike, such as 65MPH. This is because the air is not in your inertial reference frame. Now I know you haven't tried it, so as a word of advice, preferably you want to put the bowl over your face and imbibe the concoction that way - the distance between it and your face will be so small that the particles won't have enough time to accelerate to large velocities. Now of course, you might consider making two egg-shaped windows in your bowl so you can actually see the road while you're pulling this off. Sure, it could be disgraceful (that's why you don't want the bowl to be completely transparent), but at least you will be able to do the whole thing with one hand, leaving the other hand to keep you safe, such as by guarding your jewels in case you do hit that center divider at 65MPG.

Your alternative, more daredevil option? As soon as you take that spoon out of your bowl, throw the contents with everything you got away from your face. Assuming you reach somewhere around 50% baseball pitcher speed of 60mph, the food will comfortably land in your mouth at 5MPH. Now get out there and do it. We want some pictures here.

gerber graduates yogurt melts. 120 cals for the whole freakin bag.

Yes, its baby food. Don't knock it til you try it. If you like yogurt, at all, you'll love these :)

Speaking of pomegranite. They have chocolate covered pomegranite at costco.

And they're amazing. Though the sugar from the chocolate probably outweighs the benefits of the fruit. But I don't care.

I eat pretty well. I make a huge dish of something tasty one or two times a week, and I eat that until it runs out.

On days I eat oatmeal, I bring an apple or a banana for the pre lunch pangs. Also a good bet is to get those cartons of egg whites and make a "McMuffin".

If you mean Egg Beaters, where do I find them? Are they on the shelves in the refrigerated sections, or in the baking items aisles?

Oh, and great tips with the fruit for pre-lunch pangs. Definitely healthier than just starving, leading to overeating at lunch time!

If you mean Egg Beaters, where do I find them? Are they on the shelves in the refrigerated sections, or in the baking items aisles?

Oh, and great tips with the fruit for pre-lunch pangs. Definitely healthier than just starving, leading to overeating at lunch time!

They're next to the eggs in the refrigerated section.

I've recently started packing these Diamond brand flavored almonds that you can get at the store in my bag. I like salt and vinegar and wasabi and soy flavors. When I get hungry, I crave salt so these do it until I can eat something more substantial.

Whenever I see a physician who is overweight I find myself doubting his/her credibility. "This fatty is gonna tell me about eating being healthy?" And I suspect many patients think the same. Sure one doesn't really affect the other just like a fat football coach can't actually do what he excepts of his players, but the impact is there nonetheless. You should develop good eating habits now, it doesn't get easier with time. Not to mention the decrease in you faculties which arise from poor dietary choices.

I eat pretty well. I make a huge dish of something tasty one or two times a week, and I eat that until it runs out.

This is what I do. I go shopping for vegetables on the weekends, and then I throw them all into a pan, add some herbs and spices, cook them 1/4 of the way, add brown rice, and cook until the rice is done. I am still the same weight as I was when I started school.

This is what I do. I go shopping for vegetables on the weekends, and then I throw them all into a pan, add some herbs and spices, cook them 1/4 of the way, add brown rice, and cook until the rice is done. I am still the same weight as I was when I started school.

Exactly. This is something that I did not figure out myself - maybe because I don't care much about food and how it tastes as long as it is non-toxic. One of my gfs mentioned to me the art of cooking meals half way so that when you reheat, you don't overcook and make a mess. Another important factor is the container. I have stopped using plastic a long time ago and use only clay plates or glass jars to microwave and store food.

Also, for those watching their budget, you don't have to buy everything organic. I have attached a list from EWG (Environmental Working Group) pesticide ratings and by buying organic the top 12 or so fruits/vegetables, you can cut down the pesticide intake by over 90%.

FDA really isn't doing its job. Cosmetics/shampoos contain known carcinogens. The canned food you buy contains BPA (some brand's, like Trader Joe's, are BPA free). So the term "junk food" doesn't apply only to "fast food," but to a lot of regular food we buy every day. I don't know whether eating an apple covered with high doses of pesticides and parafins is supposed to be healthy or downright crazy. You save 50 cents/lb by avoiding organic food but then maybe pay thousands or with your life for their salubrious effects.

Attachments

• Organic Food Guide.pdf
    295.9 KB · Views: 135
Warning ==> do not try this at home:

This is an old trick I learned back when I was a serious slacker (not much has changed since then). Well you take the 10 cent packet of ramen and eat it dry (it's not that bad, infact I do this all the time for a snack). Right after that, you chug down a 20 oz bottle of water and keep sipping water through out the day.

Effects = full all day (and I don't mean just full, I mean stuffed). I suggest at least using a vitamin for that long day in advance. Also, don't say I didn't warn you, but the farts are just awful . . .

Now thats aside, just eat PB/Jelly, thats cheap and keeps you full.

I
We really need human dry food, much like the dog food. I find it surprising that no one has invented human dry food company. So many professionals and students would benefit from it. I mean imagine if your entire meal for the day could be in the form of kibbles in your pocket. Not too tasty perhaps, but the goal here is health and efficiency. One time I seriously considered buying human grade food made for dogs but never really pursued it. We eat food to survive, mainly. These days we have really steered away from this concept and turned food into recreation. The dry food might not be a hot seller among women because they usually really savor their food, but guys don't really care that much about what they eat. I don't either, as long as it doesn't make me sick later on. So I think dry food would be a pretty hot seller among guys (and maybe female medstudents).

:roflcopter: I don't remember the last time I laughed so hard after reading something on SDN.
Lol @ "kibbles in your pocket"
-Roy

FDA really isn't doing its job. Cosmetics/shampoos contain known carcinogens. The canned food you buy contains BPA (some brand's, like Trader Joe's, are BPA free). So the term "junk food" doesn't apply only to "fast food," but to a lot of regular food we buy every day. I don't know whether eating an apple covered with high doses of pesticides and parafins is supposed to be healthy or downright crazy. You save 50 cents/lb by avoiding organic food but then maybe pay thousands or with your life for their salubrious effects.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Also, there is zero evidence for health benefits of organic food.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Also, there is zero evidence for health benefits of organic food.
1.It's called sarcasm.

2. So then that word was correct according to you- no sarcasm then.