Jury Duty day before mcat.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbaumann1123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got a letter today summoning me to jury duty September 11th. My MCAT is September 12. I'm trying to stay calm.

Members don't see this ad.

don't worry too much i'm sure by then you will be prepared for your mcat and also you can treat it as verbal practice critically analyze the lawyers and witnesses arguments/claims

Try writing them a letter requesting a postponement? I had a date right before finals and they granted me a later date.

Members don't see this ad :)
don't worry too much i'm sure by then you will be prepared for your mcat and also you can treat it as verbal practice critically analyze the lawyers and witnesses arguments/claims

But if the case goes more than one day ill miss my test and won't get a refund from aamc. And worse, I have the last date so can't retake til January, and by then ill have forgotten much of my 2 grande TPR course :/ and be in school and working of course

You can request a postponement within 10 days of your jury duty invitation. You won't even need to stop by the courthouse.

I told them I was studying for the MCAT as reason for postponement and my new jury duty date is 4 months from now :)

It depends on your state or county, but where I live, there is one afternoon in the week before jury duty where you can ask to be excused. The judge will excuse you, postpone it, or deny your request.

Check the jury duty rules for your court district.

Also, your 9/11 jury duty may be just a day for jury selection and the trial may begin the next day. Hopefully you won't be selected in that case.

Just talk about jury nullification or come off as an extremist.

I wore my dont tread on me hat with a bunch if libertarian gear and they didn't let me

I have my citizenship interview the morning of my mcat date.. Not much I can do to change it unless I shell out $100 to change test date or postpone the interview for a few months. Still debating

Postpone jury duty. I think you can go online and ask to reschedule your jury duty citing a "hardship." The hardship is that you cannot reschedule MCAT, assuming prior dates are full or you won't be prepared in time for a sooner date, and if you don't take it in Sept., you'll be stuck waiting until January. I would claim that the extra 4 months between September and January would either be a financial hardship or that it would jeopardize your score which stays in your permanent record. You might even add that the thought of jury duty the day before the MCAT is causing anxiety, an additional psychological obstacle, perhaps also a hardship. And changing the jury duty date would relieve you of anxiety. And mention how much you paid to take the mcat and that it will be lost if selected for a jury on that date.

I have been advised to say that I am going out of town and already have plane tickets because they allow postponement for that. I'm scared ill get in trouble if they find out its not true. I'm thinking if my request to postpone due to mcat reasons gets denied then I used up my only chance and can't try again with another excuse. But there's no way I can risk not taking it after paying for a TPR course and putting my life on hold for 3 months to study. Plus I start taking classes and working full time after I take it and studying again with that schedule would be hell on top of already wasting 2 grande on my course. Ugh

i was in the same boat, just one day earlier though (scheduled for 4/25 with the test date 4/27). they were super helpful in just postponing it because I said I was currently a student and jury duty would interrupt mandatory activities for my career development (not untrue at all!).

They moved it a month later, and when I got my juror number and called in the night before, they didn't even need me to come in at all.