Jury duty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobbyseal

Boat boy
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I got summoned for jury duty in my legal residence state which is halfway across the country. What's the best way to get out of this? Do I need a letter from the CO of the hospital or would my department head be enough?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

That should suffice. I'm Air Force, but at Wilford Hall Medical Center they had an overprint signed by squadron commander stating you are active duty military and you're military duties/position precluded you from serving on Jury Duty.

Check with your orderly room, they may already have a pre-printed form. I'll look to see if I still have a copy lying around somewhere.

Alternatively, you could just call the jury clerk (there's often a name and number on the summons) and tell them your situation. You aren't the first person to join the military and move out of state whilst still paying taxes to their home state. Since the clerk is the one who'll be handling your excusal from jury duty in any event, you might as well start there and then see if any further documentation is required.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm at school half across the country from where my legal residence is (car registered there, taxes paid there, etc.) I got summoned for jury duty a while back and called them and said, "so uh....I dont live there currently, I'm living in another state where I attend school". The lady said, "ok no prob, just fill out the part of the form that says blah blah blah and send it back" That was the end of it. I don't even think you need to bring this up with anyone in the military, just call the court office and tell them you aren't living there. There was a box on the paperwork I got that I just checked and signed and then I mailed it back in

I call the court clerk. It was fairly easy. They just wanted to see a copy of my orders. So, I faxed that over to them. I called back a few hours later and they said that I was all clear. A letter was to be put in the mail. Thanks for everyone's help.