Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2014
Hi all. My son is going to LECOM erie...doing really good...has a 3.9 GPA...going into 3rd year. Just got his results from Step 1...got a 246, which from what I read looks like a good grade. Waiting for his Comlex scores. This is my question...he wants to go into IM with a potential neurology or cardiology specialty...coming from a DO school as opposed to a MD school...will there be a significant bias towards residency programs? He is not looking to get into one of the super competitive top residencies...more so a good mid tier large hospital that has a good reputation. Just a concerned parent...appreciate the feedback

Feb 11, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
(1y)
Grades are competitive. What matters now is how he performs and is received in clinicals. Performance and personality/attitude during clinicals are things that I have seen make or break intellectually competitive applicants. LORs matter.

The best of luck to him.

Reactions: BorntobeDO?

Wjldenver

5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Status
Non-Student
I saw that your son went to Cornell, graduated with a 3.6 GPA, and got a 35 on his MCAT. What on earth is he doing in a DO school? If I was his dad, I would have given him a lot more of advice/assistance up-front, and I would have helped him get into a MD program somewhere.

Reactions: Neopolymath

LebronManning

2+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2017
Pac-12
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
To OP, seems like your kid is doing everything necessary to succeed from a DO school. His step score certainly is great. Now, it's all up to clinical performance and his personality on the wards that will allow him to succeed. There are plenty of DO neurologists and cardiologists who probably did worse on step 1 than your son.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sephirakra

2+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Hi all. My son is going to LECOM erie...doing really good...has a 3.9 GPA...going into 3rd year. Just got his results from Step 1...got a 246, which from what I read looks like a good grade. Waiting for his Comlex scores. This is my question...he wants to go into IM with a potential neurology or cardiology specialty...coming from a DO school as opposed to a MD school...will there be a significant bias towards residency programs? He is not looking to get into one of the super competitive top residencies...more so a good mid tier large hospital that has a good reputation. Just a concerned parent...appreciate the feedback
FYI: neurology is a separate specialty from IM, not a subspecialty like cardiology.

Roxas

Giggity!
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Twilight Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Reading the above posts, this thread is full of assholes. You guys enjoy making fun of and putting down a concerned dad on a forum? Get help.

To OP, seems like your kid is doing everything necessary to succeed from a DO school. His step score certainly is great. Now, it's all up to clinical performance and his personality on the wards that will allow him to succeed. There are plenty of DO neurologists and cardiologists who probably did worse on step 1 than your son.
Incorrect. I'm putting down either an elaborate troll, or a parent who seriously needs to chill the **** out. Based on post history it seems like daddy is going out of his way to flex nuts about stats and humblebrag their way around sdn.

OP
R
Oct 20, 2014
I saw that your son went to Cornell, graduated with a 3.6 GPA, and got a 35 on his MCAT. What on earth is he doing in a DO school? If I was his dad, I would have given him a lot more of advice/assistance up-front, and I would have helped him get into a MD program somewhere.
Believe me...he tried and I did all I could to help...he ended up with a 3.47 cum at cornell and the rest is history

Reactions: Wjldenver

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
ell, NYU IM will refuse to take him, but Case or Cleveland Clinic will. So can Dartmouth. Do I need to drop more names?

Reactions: nimbus

Wjldenver

5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Status
Non-Student
Believe me...he tried and I did all I could to help...he ended up with a 3.47 cum at cornell and the rest is history
Richny, kudos for staying involved with your son’s career. Your next assignment is to help him be a strategic residency applicant so he can maximize his potential. All applicable info. is available on SDN if you look for it.

Reactions: Goro
OP
R
Oct 20, 2014
Incorrect. I'm putting down either an elaborate troll, or a parent who seriously needs to chill the **** out. Based on post history it seems like daddy is going out of his way to flex nuts about stats and humblebrag their way around sdn. Its obnoxious. If some neurotic dingus wants to post the ridiculous ~250 WAMC threads for themselves that's one thing, but this is a new level of helicopter parenting.
Not what my intention is at all...sorry you feel that way. My son worked his butt off at Cornell, tutored students, did all recommended EC'S and was basically told it would be no issue to get into med school. He applied all over with zero results his first year out. On his second go round he applied to both MD and DO programs...only got one interview...LECOM...they accepted him right away. So you need to excuse my paranoia...he is going to graduate in 2021 from LECOM as a DO, has a very good Step 1 and a really good gpa...and I just concerned that he has the opportunities he has worked so hard to achieve. I guess in this day you arent allowed to ask questions like this unless you want to be disrespected. Oh well...I do appreciate all the informative responses.

Roxas

Giggity!
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Twilight Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Not what my intention is at all...sorry you feel that way. My son worked his butt off at Cornell, tutored students, did all recommended EC'S and was basically told it would be no issue to get into med school. He applied all over with zero results his first year out. On his second go round he applied to both MD and DO programs...only got one interview...LECOM...they accepted him right away. So you need to excuse my paranoia...he is going to graduate in 2021 from LECOM as a DO, has a very good Step 1 and a really good gpa...and I just concerned that he has the opportunities he has worked so hard to achieve. I guess in this day you arent allowed to ask questions like this unless you want to be disrespected. Oh well...I do appreciate all the informative responses.
Asking questions is fine. Constantly reminding everyone in every post what a prodigy your son is and restating how amazing his grades/ test scores are shows a lack of self-awareness that is oozing. Something that hopefully he does better with, but if not will definitely hurt him come residency application time if left uncorrected.

Humility is your friend.

Reactions: BorntobeDO?
OP
R
Oct 20, 2014
Wow...what mean spirited people are on here. I am not speaking for my son...I am speaking for myself. He has all the confidence he needs...not some jerk that sits at his computer to make snide useless comments about others. I am done with this post

OP
R
Oct 20, 2014
Asking questions is fine. Constantly reminding everyone in every post what a prodigy your son is and restating how amazing his grades/ test scores are shows a lack of self-awareness that is oozing. Something that hopefully he does better with, but if not will definitely hurt him come residency application time if left uncorrected.

Humility is your friend.
so sad...so sad.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Lol there isn't a chance in hell I would ever let my parents do stuff like this. I don't even let them know what I'm planning outside of general "oh I'm interested in this field, I did pretty well on the board exam" etc.

Your child is about to become a physician, let them be an adult and just sit back and watch proudly from the sidelines. There is no need for you to be involved.

Dwan

7+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Your son will be fine. Neurology is not a competitive specialty, although you apply to it separately from IM. For the IM specialties, programs like the ones Goro listed are sufficient. You don't need to go to a top IM program to get into a competitive specialty.

shadowlightfox

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I wonder if OP also sets up dates for his son. I can already picture the tinder profile his dad must have authored:

Richny's son, 20-something years old
Picture: Baby picture

My son likes to play, is a very hard worker and very studious in medical school. He's going to be a doctor. He got 246 on step 1.
He is a very good boy.
Is looking for beautiful, thin woman.
My son is allergic to average scores. His face swells big at the site of 230, Step 1 score or your weight...appreciate you swiping right...tks

Last edited:

Ho0v-man

2+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Just a thought, maybe look over your sons personal statement before he applies. With stats like that apply MD and DO and only getting 1 interview, that screams red flag somewhere. And then he gets into the only school without secondary essays that also doesn’t review the personal statement until after the interview. That’s the only thing I can think of.

Hope it works out!

darknecrosforte

Masculine-presenting transgendered lesbian
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
May 8, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Just a thought, maybe look over your sons personal statement before he applies. With stats like that apply MD and DO and only getting 1 interview, that screams red flag somewhere. And then he gets into the only school without secondary essays that also doesn’t review the personal statement until after the interview. That’s the only thing I can think of.

Hope it works out!
With the grammar and word choice in the OP, I'd say nah... lol

SterlingMaloryArcher

2+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2017
The Commonwealth
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree it's the helicopter parenting of a near-30yo that seems so ridiculous. CollegeConfidential is bad enough but thats for parents of 17yo's

I wonder where OP went to school and what their ocupation is.

Reactions: libertyyne

DO2015CA

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Please cut the cord. How do you know your sons scores?? As an adult, my family didn’t even know what my Mcat was let alone anything in Med school

BorntobeDO?

5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2013
Status
Medical Student
He should be fine unless hes weird on the wards. The numbers are just fine for what your asking.

BorntobeDO?

5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Your son must underwhelm on either his personal statements, LORs or one of the subjective components. Only one DO interview tells me you either applied to a very limited amount of DO schools or there is something really wrong with the app. You need to figure out what he did wrong and correct it. He had the numbers then, and he does now. That means something else is missing if the results aren't what he wants.

BorntobeDO?

5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Rehab is great. Risperdal is a helluva drug ;)
Can't cure cluster B with risperdal. Maybe LSD according to some researchers, but those guys eat mushrooms so do we really trust them?

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Woah, this thread is rough.

OP, your son will be fine. Make sure he applies broadly to mid-tier academic programs all over the country, not just in NY or PA. He'll be fine for Neuro (separate specialty), and will likely be OK getting a solid mid-tier IM program.

Premed admissions are unfortunately unpredictable and vary wildly depending on where you are and your state of residence. There's a ton of applicants in NY and PA, and IS preference doesn't help much there (kind of like CA - despite there being public schools the competition is just way too high).

Last edited:
Reactions: Goro and Taverly
Jan 5, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Try to get your son to be involved in research if possible, Mid tier/upper mid tier IM programs love to see some research on an app. But quite honestly as long as your son matches into a residency(academic or community) that has an in house Cardiology fellowship he will be fine, as far as the DO bias I haven't seen it but after residency the DO/MD/IMG bias quickly fades and no one cares where you went to medical school only where you went for residency. For Neurology your son with a 246 USMLE can pretty much walk into any program(lol jk but you get the point), there were over 100+ DO's who matched into a Neurology residency last year and like 8 people went unmatched, its just not very competitive at the moment.

DO2015CA

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't know what's scarier, an overcoddling OP posting in place of his adult son, or the number of people taking this thread seriously.
You would think they’re trolling but I had a classmates parents ask me what my mcat score was when we were all moving into on campus housing at the start of OMS1. So I just believe people like this would make a thread.

Medic741

2+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Ah Cornell.

Leave your kid alone and let them grow up which... they should have done *before* starting medical school... Yikes.

Reactions: nimbus and Goro
Oct 10, 2018
This is just a post about from a parent asking if their kid is on the right track. Obviously they would include the stats in the post. We don’t know their life, maybe the parent is paying for med school and wants to make sure son is on the right track and isn’t wasting their money.

OP didn’t ask for parenting advice, so I don’t see the need for all the snide and rude comments in here. And if you’re so sensitive, fragile, and insecure about yourself that another person talking about their sons stats triggers you, then maybe you should see a therapist.

To OP, sorry for the rude comments. SDN is full of miserable med students who love to project and spread their misery any chance they get. Honestly the way some SDNers talk about med school and how much they play the victim, I wonder why they don’t just drop out.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Unpopular opinion, but a lot of you in this thread are straight up dicks and sound very jealous. This is just a post about from a parent asking if their kid is on the right track. Obviously they would include the stats in the post. We don’t know their life, maybe the parent is paying for med school and wants to make sure son is on the right track and isn’t wasting their money.

OP didn’t ask for parenting advice, so I don’t see the need for all the snide and rude comments in here. And if you’re so sensitive, fragile, and insecure about yourself that another person talking about their sons stats triggers you, then maybe you should see a therapist.

To OP, sorry for the rude comments. SDN is full of miserable med students who love to project and spread their misery any chance they get. Honestly the way some SDNers talk about med school and how much they play the victim, I wonder why they don’t just drop out.
Lol

DO2015CA

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Unpopular opinion, but a lot of you in this thread are straight up dicks and sound very jealous. This is just a post about from a parent asking if their kid is on the right track. Obviously they would include the stats in the post. We don’t know their life, maybe the parent is paying for med school and wants to make sure son is on the right track and isn’t wasting their money.

please go on

shadowlightfox

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Unpopular opinion, but a lot of you in this thread are straight up dicks and sound very jealous.
I think "concerned" would be a more appropriate word.

Although, if there was anything I'd be jealous about, it would be that whenever I try to troll, people see through it too quickly and I don't end up generating as many serious responses as OP. So I guess there's that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roxas and Medic741

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I don't know what's scarier, an overcoddling OP posting in place of his adult son, or the number of people taking this thread seriously.
Do NOT underestimate the number of Tiger Parents out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.