just a honest opinion please......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Makan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have graduated from business school (double major finance and accounting/150 credit hours of school with a 3.7 GPA) last june. I really became interested in dentistry about couple of years ago but didn't wanna change or switch majors but now i am enrolled in school as a biology major to finish my prereqs. I am taking Chem II, Phy II and biology this semester and I will take Organic Chem I, II and another Bio and Biochem in spring and summer and I'm ganna study for DAT on my own and take in mid summer and apply for dental school in like Aug. I'm starting to do lots of shadowing and other stuff as well. I really really want to do this regardless of the workload.
My question is that "if i even have chance" of getting into a school for fall 2008 or not? cause if i don't I would like to take my time and try to do more and do better for 2009.
I would really appreciate any respond/advice/opinion I could get from you.
Thanks. (State of Michigan)

Members don't see this ad.

You significantly lower your chances of getting into any school in the midwest by applying in august. You really need to get your app in to AADSAS by june otherwise it falls into the abyss of all the other applicants. August, you may not even get interviews at some schools. Applying early in June isn't a probelem even though you wont have taken your DAT until mid summer. Your app will begin processing (which takes at least 6-8 weeks) in june, so by the time you take your DAT it will get to the schools about the same time your app does. Biggest piece of advise aside from strong GPA and DAT is get a lot of experience, and apply early.

Hope this helps out!

APPLY EARLY!!! That means June.

One other possibility is to submit your app in June without having taken the DAT yet. I've heard of some other people who have done this and even one or two who got interviews based solely on their GPA. At least it will make the dschools aware of you before you get your DAT done so you may be at the top of the app pile once your scores come in. Also, make sure you decide on which schools to apply to ahead of time so you can have your scores sent out as soon as you are done taking the test. Beginning of August really isn't too late to get some first round interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for all the info.

You will seriously be fine. But like it was said before, apply no later than late June and then take the DAT's no later than mid August. This is the route I went; I submitted my application June 30th, took the DAT's August 11th, got interviewed (all before december) and accepted to every school I applied to and am going to Harvard. So seriously, don't sweat it, just apply asap and kill the DATs. Goodluck!!

I've been where you are before. I was a business major too and had to take all of the prereqs to apply to dental school.

Make sure that you apply early even if you don't take the DAT until August. Start working on getting letters now.