SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Just a pre-med....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by tommyboy, Aug 21, 2002.

1. tommyboy

tommyboy New Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Southern California
    I'm returning to school to do my pre-med stuff (bio, chem, oc, etc) and am probably two to three years from applying. Does anyone have any feedback on whether it's ok to do pre-med classes at a junior/community college or should I stick to a 4-year university. I have my BA so that isn't an issue. Also does having a second BA/BS help?:p

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ckent

ckent Banned Banned

Jul 31, 2000
    Smallville/Metropolis
    My pre-med advisor used to advise all of us to avoid trying to do pre-med reqs at a community college. If I were you, I would enroll in a post-bach program to get all of your pre-med reqs taken care of at one place. Do a search on the internet, there are some very good ones out there. I know that a local college in my state has a post-bach program that sends students to places like Wash U med and Harvard, if you are interested in a program in Maryland, do a search at http://www.goucher.edu

4. Centrum

Centrum SMILEY KING 7+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2002
    TX
    Oh you must change your avatar. Only I can use Twain. :)

5. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat 7+ Year Member

Jan 30, 2002
    California
    Dude, play nice. That was his first post. First say, "Welcome to SDN!" and then tell him he has to change his avatar.

6. Centrum

Jul 12, 2002
    TX
    Oh my bad. Welcome to SDN buddy. Greattt to have you along. Now change that avatar. You dig? ;)

7. Bikini Princess

Bikini Princess 7+ Year Member

May 26, 2002
    actually i think "Frost Weasel" had that avatar before u, centrum.

8. Diogenes

Jan 30, 2002
    California
    :laugh: :laugh: Centrum is a poser! Well, what do you expect when you don't customize your avatar?

9. Centrum

Jul 12, 2002
    TX
    I am yet to see a post by Mr. Weasel, so by his long absence he has forfeited the right to Twain over to me.

10. Centrum

Jul 12, 2002
    TX
    [​IMG]

11. Diogenes

Jan 30, 2002
    California
    Non-use does not indicate a forfeiture of rights to one that uses -- just ask LA and Arizona about Colorado River water.

12. Diogenes

Jan 30, 2002
    California
    Is that an invitation? Sorry, I don't swing that way.:p

13. Centrum

Jul 12, 2002
    TX
    Well it does in my book.....

14. Centrum

Jul 12, 2002
    TX

Lame D. Very lame.

15. Diogenes

Jan 30, 2002
    California
    Yeah, but I'm not into smilies, so I had no proper rebutal.

16. Centrum

Jul 12, 2002
    TX
    Fair enough.

17. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2001
    Omaha
    To the original question--Take most if not all of your prereqs at a 4-year institution. If you wanted to take a summer course at a CC that might be ok, but certainly do not take all of them there. I don't see any value getting a 2nd BS, though. Just take the classes. I also see little value in the formal post-bach programs, except the ones that give you very strong priority in their med school.

18. tommyboy

tommyboy New Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Southern California
    JBJ,

Thanks for your reply. Your opinion seems to be consistent with the "advice" I got from a couple of med schools I called. If you consider the opinion of the secretary that answers the phone to be advice, Although who knows, she may sit on the AC for all I know...... The post-bac school in my area actually has linkages to med schools so that seem to be a great option. Thanks for your help...

BTW Centrum.....thanks for your most sincere welcome....I think Mark will stay for now.....;) :cool:

19. Centrum

Jul 12, 2002
    TX
    Hey dude, always here to make people feel welcome. heh.

20. BlueAvocado

BlueAvocado MD/DO Hopeful Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Jul 16, 2002
    Hey I am in the same boat, I am a BS graduate in Business Administration. I just strated my pre meds at a comunity college this week. I m taking Chem 1a and General Physics and hopefully next year i am going to transfer to a 4 yeah university. I talked with a Admission Counselor at UC Davis and he tole me that I can take the lower level classes such as General Physics and Chem at Community college and the rest i should take at a 4 year colllege.

This is exactlly what i am doing. Next year i am hoping to transfer if not UC Davis I will probablly go to Sac State. Anyways they want to see that you can do the science classes at upper level. thats my .02 cents PM if u have any questions.