Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Just a studying rant...

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by MDee, Dec 7, 2008.

1. MDee

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I decided to try new study habits for my third round of exams (I'm an MS1). Normally, I would cram 3-4 days prior to the exam and do decent on the exam. However, I didn't like feeling stressed and worried if I would pass. So, I changed my study habits. What I did was take all the lectures for that block and space them out so I would study 1/day (and learn it cold then review it the next day or two before I moved on to the next lecture) until the day before the exam, where I would just review all my weak points and do practice questions. I knew the material COLD inside and out. So, you'd think I would do SIGNIFICANTLY better on the exams, right?

WRONG!!! I actually ended up doing WORSE than if I would have crammed, despite knowing the information solid. WTF?!:mad: What a waste of 2.5 weeks of studying.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. meister

meister Senior Member
    Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You'll probably retain it long term ten times better studying that way. I wouldn't get discouraged, it was probably the test.

4. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My two cents: Ideally you would want to study all the lectures of that day on the day of or the day beforehand the actual lectures and you kind of want to have finished reading the material at least a few days before the actual test so you can use those remaining days to just do practice questions and review. I've done the 1/day and it isn't as helpful as the few days free before the exam to review all that material again through Q & A and so forth.

5. themudphud

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Your new approach is more sound than cramming. Keep it up and consider adding some last minute cramming (maybe a day or two before the exam).

6. Tensyle

Tensyle 3 more months
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    it could just be the exams were harder. I always think, if i know the material cold now, it will help alleviate some studying for Step 1. Exams at our school do not have all board-style questions, so they may not be a good indicator of how well you know the material. my 2cents.