Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Silver Spring, Maryland
Status
Well...let me start off by saying that my days now consist of about four things: MCAT prep, going to class(and kaplan, which I hate hahaha), studying for normal classes, and finally working out.

If I'm feeling restless, I will out outside in my backyard and do some flips...drill some kicks...etc. Working out makes you feel SO GOOD and it does NOT leave you drained, but rather the release of endorphins pumps you up for studying after having an ice cold glass of water and maybe a protein shake or some brain food(banana!).

Of course if you're not a martial acrobat...you can always go take a walk with jogging in between, a full jog, sprinting --> But in my opinion you should work up a sweat and get your heart rate in the fat burning target zone for the full effect.

Don't underestimate the power of working out in conjunction with your brain workouts, because rather than draining you it ENERGIZES you. Try it out...and remember the same workouts do not work for everyone. Find the one that raises your energy level the most and stick with it on a consistent basis. Stress levels will decrease, pre-test anxiety will dissolve, and you'll create a better base from which to study.

Yeah...and if you're wondering what a martial acrobat is you can check the video in my sig ;0

mercy4052

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
Status
I agree with you. After work, I ride the elliptical for an hour. It reenergizes me to study in the evening after working all day.

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
I completely agree with you too. :thumbup: Working out is absolutely essential during MCAT prep... well, in life in general too! It helped me ease my worries, cleanse my system, and become refreshed or energized.

MDtoBe777

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2004
Status
Yup..I'm with you too. Hey, do you listen to Audio Osmosis while working out? I was doing that, but it just ruined my whole work out routine..it slows me down and makes me think and probably adds stress to my life. Haha...working out should be a stress reliever, right?

firebird69guy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Status
Turkeyman said:
Well...let me start off by saying that my days now consist of about four things: MCAT prep, going to class(and kaplan, which I hate hahaha), studying for normal classes, and finally working out.

If I'm feeling restless, I will out outside in my backyard and do some flips...drill some kicks...etc. Working out makes you feel SO GOOD and it does NOT leave you drained, but rather the release of endorphins pumps you up for studying after having an ice cold glass of water and maybe a protein shake or some brain food(banana!).

Of course if you're not a martial acrobat...you can always go take a walk with jogging in between, a full jog, sprinting --> But in my opinion you should work up a sweat and get your heart rate in the fat burning target zone for the full effect.

Don't underestimate the power of working out in conjunction with your brain workouts, because rather than draining you it ENERGIZES you. Try it out...and remember the same workouts do not work for everyone. Find the one that raises your energy level the most and stick with it on a consistent basis. Stress levels will decrease, pre-test anxiety will dissolve, and you'll create a better base from which to study.

Yeah...and if you're wondering what a martial acrobat is you can check the video in my sig ;0

Yeah.. exercise encourages neuronal development (brain) according to a scientific american article I read recently.

vincikai

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
Status
Turkeyman said:
Wow that's really some crazy work out.
:eek: i guess i will stick with fencing :D

myodana

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
BX, NY
Status
Medical Student
totally agree. i'm a pilates instructor, and i unfortunately fell out of my normal exercise routine during my studying for the august mcat. carrying around that heavy kaplan book wreaked havoc on my lower back, and it really took a while to get back into shape afterwards. keep working out!!!

stoleyerscrubz

Registered User and Stuff
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
NY
Status
Medical Student
I'm a personal trainer so I know how much it sucks to help people get in shape and you have no time to do it yourself. I put on 6lbs since going premed and I started an exercise program so I can be in great physical shape for the MCAT and also for spring break afterwards
:cool:

myodana said:
totally agree. i'm a pilates instructor, and i unfortunately fell out of my normal exercise routine during my studying for the august mcat. carrying around that heavy kaplan book wreaked havoc on my lower back, and it really took a while to get back into shape afterwards. keep working out!!!

myodana

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
BX, NY
Status
Medical Student
stoleyerscrubz said:
I'm a personal trainer so I know how much it sucks to help people get in shape and you have no time to do it yourself.
i know - that drives me crazy!!! if this is bad, who knows what it's going to be like IN med school.

(ps - got into einstein yesterday!!!)

GaryM

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2004
Status
This is all sooooo true!!!
Since I started working out again, I find that I can concentrate so much better. I can sit and study for longer periods of time.
I'm also finding that I'm not napping as much during the day, and sleeping much better at night.