Just accepted, any expert advice on taking good notes during lectures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Astatedental

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was just accepted. I was wondering if any body has established any good note taking methods during lectures over the course of their 4 years journey that would help incoming freshman?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I mostly just memorize the slides through and through. I hardly take notes.

Reactions: 6 users
that is what most current dental students keep telling me. I was just curious if any one found an effective way during lectures to try and retain more information besides just listening

Members don't see this ad :)
that is what most current dental students keep telling me. I was just curious if any one found an effective way during lectures to try and retain more information besides just listening

You get bogged down by trying to take notes in class. Just listen. Watch the recordings later and then take your notes.

Reactions: 4 users
Or completely ignore the lecturer and make your study guide outlines. That's what I do now that the semester is almost over.

yeah I was wondering if anybody did that. Makes sense to do something productive if you don't gain much from lecture.

I mostly just memorize the slides through and through. I hardly take notes.
Yup. This is what I do. When I do take notes I use notability on my iPad though.

Reactions: 1 user
If the ppt is clear, don't take notes. If your school records lectures, don't show up to class. Watch the lecture at 1.5-2.0 speed and study the ppt.

Reactions: 2 users
Everyone studies differently. The advice posted here is all subjective. Whatever worked for you in undergrad will probably work in DS.

If the ppt is clear, don't take notes. If your school records lectures, don't show up to class. Watch the lecture at 1.5-2.0 speed and study the ppt.
lol I also do this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to be in this club so badly... Sighs.. Time to chug milk and cry xD

Listen in class. Most of the information goes too quickly to truly take notes. Memorize the PowerPoints later. If the lectures are recorded, listen in 1.5x to 1.75x speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea. I just got accepted last week so I still don't know a lot. I plan to look into tho.

Love it.

I found the thing that helped my notes the most was staying awake during lecture. Unfortunately I rarely followed my own advice.

Has anyone ever read "How to Study in Med School"? I read it for a class in undergrad. Basically the author contributes his success in med school to condensing all the learning material every night into his own pages of notes then reviews his notes on the weekend. I'm wondering if this method would work well for D School!

Here's the book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1434...cal+school&dpPl=1&dpID=41CsI5a7WnL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Has anyone ever read "How to Study in Med School"? I read it for a class in undergrad. Basically the author contributes his success in med school to condensing all the learning material every night into his own pages of notes then reviews his notes on the weekend. I'm wondering if this method would work well for D School!

Here's the book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1434...cal+school&dpPl=1&dpID=41CsI5a7WnL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile
I don't know about other people, but I frequently don't have the time at night to take the notes from earlier that day and condense them because I'm studying for whatever exam is in the morning. It isn't uncommon to have 3-4 exams a week. Between being in class all day, basic living needs, etc. it does really limit the amount of time you have during the week. Most of my catching up is during the weekends.

I also have mostly stopped taking my own notes and just study the powerpoint slides. We don't use any textbooks, so the material is already mostly condensed into slides anyway.

My method in the first half of fall quarter was:
Slides --> take notes --> make flashcards

Now, I simplified it to:
Slides --> make flashcards

This method saves me a lot of time because typing 500 powerpoint slides into a word doc just for one exam (each week) takes forever.

It all depends on your exam schedule. If your school does block exams then taking notes and reviewing it all throughout might be helpful but if you have 2-3 exams every week (like my school) you won't have enough time in the day to review what you just learned and study for upcoming exams. Most people in my class seem to just review ppts and recordings 2-4 days before the exam. Others review everyday..... and are usually gunners lol...

In terms of taking notes during lectures... I don't recommend it because there is too much information... most of which is new. I would just highlight key points in the notes section and try to listen in lecture.

We will being having one monthly exam that condenses all classes into one exam. Glad it will work this way because several exams a week sounds terrible !

this is this type of stuff that I was hoping to find! this will be a huge help! how do you link the slides to the audio tho? p.s. thanks I really appreciate that reply.

Convert the powerpoint to a PDF, then you can have the slides follow the audio recording. If you have classmates that are also interested, contact the company to see if you can get a group buy going.

Convert the powerpoint to a PDF, then you can have the slides follow the audio recording. If you have classmates that are also interested, contact the company to see if you can get a group buy going.
How?

Best way to take notes in dental school- buy the notes from your classes notetaker ;)

Some schools (mine) have notetakers which is someone who is responsible for taking notes for individual classes. You pay that individual for access to detailed notes, study guides, quizlets, etc.

I only buy for class that are either extremely hard to keep my attention or are rather difficult subjects. But some people buy notes so they can skip classes. It's a pretty good system especially if you are a note taker for an important class.

Some schools (mine) have notetakers which is someone who is responsible for taking notes for individual classes. You pay that individual for access to detailed notes, study guides, quizlets, etc.

I only buy for class that are either extremely hard to keep my attention or are rather difficult subjects. But some people buy notes so they can skip classes. It's a pretty good system especially if you are a note taker for an important class.
For you, how much does such access cost typically?