Just an observation I made yesterday at Shock Trauma

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by C.A.R25, Sep 29, 2002.

1. C.A.R25

C.A.R25 Junior Member

Hey guys , I wanted to share some observations I made over time from volunteering at the University of Maryland Medical center's world renown shock truama center. :)

I have been there for about 3 months or so, and I only have seen 2 DO residents there (but thats only in one department, never been in the ER much).

The DO doctors were working side by side with MD's and they were pretty friendly too. I guess the only real thing I could note that was different is that one of the DO residents had problems installing a chest tube in a stab victem who had hymothorax, but the MD's treated them like equals (atlest from my observations so far).

Why is there a stigma placed on DO's though? :confused:

PS--> I even saw one or two IMG (from carribean schools), one (that was once a VET but did med school in the carribean) had a residency in the pathology department and the other was probably primary care.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. awdc

awdc Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think the stigma comes from those who don't work with D.O.'s and those who had a bad experience with one and unjustly generalized it to the whole profession.