Just an observation I made yesterday at Shock Trauma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C.A.R25

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys , I wanted to share some observations I made over time from volunteering at the University of Maryland Medical center's world renown shock truama center. :)

I have been there for about 3 months or so, and I only have seen 2 DO residents there (but thats only in one department, never been in the ER much).

The DO doctors were working side by side with MD's and they were pretty friendly too. I guess the only real thing I could note that was different is that one of the DO residents had problems installing a chest tube in a stab victem who had hymothorax, but the MD's treated them like equals (atlest from my observations so far).

Why is there a stigma placed on DO's though? :confused:

PS--> I even saw one or two IMG (from carribean schools), one (that was once a VET but did med school in the carribean) had a residency in the pathology department and the other was probably primary care.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the stigma comes from those who don't work with D.O.'s and those who had a bad experience with one and unjustly generalized it to the whole profession.