Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Just another high school SDNer...but maybe a little different, maybe..

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Med-tallica, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Med-tallica

Med-tallica Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm one of those teens who's more obsessed with how my future is going to turn out than who I'm going to the prom with. A few months back I was one of those gung ho high school pre-meds, the ones that often regurgitate the same question-threads ever so often on SDN. I planned on majoring in a hard science, minoring in something else, get shadowing/mentoring hours; you know, make myself look pretty for the adcoms and what not.​
    Being a doctor has been one of those childhood aspirations that grew especially due to convenient whispers from my parents all throughout my childhood. So its something I've sort been manipulated/grown into more or less. The only problem is, my last few months of thinking about the future, and browsing SDN, I started wondering if I really want to do what I thought I wanted to do(become a physician). As my exposure to SDN has really dispelled some insanely naive notions.​
    The problem is there is alot of uncertainty about getting into a medical school, as I'm sure most of you are more worried about than my personal quandry. I really don't know what I want to do anymore. Sure going to medical school is an aspiration which is a ways away, but if things don't pan out I don't know what I can see myself doing. All of which is making me second-guess my undergraduate plan(I start next year).​
    So if y'all wise SDNers could take even an ounce of time from your stressful schedules, and perhaps impart on me even an ounce of wisdom I would be greatly appreciative.
    Much Love,
    Rock On:horns: ,
    Med-tallica.

P.S. Congratulations to those who are "in", and good luck to those still going at it.

2. LadyWolverine

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    MedTallica,

If you're anything like I was, you'll change your mind 154 times during (and possibly after) your undergraduate experience regarding "what you want to be when you grow up."

My advice to you is to stop worrying so much about your future. It's alright to be a bit apprehensive, but seriously, enjoy where you are right now. One of the best years of my life was my senior year of high school. I didn't spend it worrying about how I was going to get into medical school or what my career path should ultimately be. I finished high school armed with a vague direction and good study habits, but I didn't stress about the details. You'll figure that out in college.

Just work hard in high school, get good grades, take classes that you enjoy, and that will carry over into college. You'll find your niche. And, honestly, start partying like a high school senior. You SHOULD be more obsessed over who you are going to prom with at this point...that's what high school students do. Don't miss out on moments that you'll remember for the rest of your life (and I'm not just talking about prom here). It really does go by so fast, and then you wish you had taken advantage of your youth a bit more.

Listen to me, at the ripe old age of 26. But, seriously, I would love to be in your shoes again. Senior year is all about having fun. Now get the f*** off SDN and really *live* your last year as a minor. :D

3. CTSballer11

CTSballer11 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Welcome. Try not to stress out over your future, you are so young, enjoy highschool. Hang out with friends, party, play sports or do whatever floats your boat. Try and get some shadowing in there and see if becoming a physician is what you truly want. Contemplating your major and your future career is important but as I mentioned earlier do no let it rule your life. Medicine is a long road, take sometime to make sure it is what you want. Happy Holidays.

4. Depending on what university you go to, up to 1/4 of the freshman class may enter thinking they are going to be premed. The fact is that at graduation probably 1/40 or even 1/400 actually have followed through. As a high school student you shouldn't have a plan for your entire life worked out yet because a) it will change anyway, and b) any plan too strict will prevent you from finding real happiness in college/life because you will have blinders on.

Remember this: if you are in a position to have a career instead of a job (I hope you understand what I mean), you need to follow your heart/likes/gut/whatever because your career will be intimately associated with your personality and self-image. Success follows passion.

So if you want to be premed, that's fine, go ahead and start doing the appropriate science classes etc. as your premed advisor says to, but explore a diverse bunch of subjects while doing general education requirements freshman year and find a major you really like (don't pick one just because its requirements overlaps with premed requirements). You may find that you would rather go to some form of grad school or other professional school; you may decide that you don't want to do any of that; you may find a job or career that you love more than you love medicine -- and if that happens it is okay to take the other path.

People get hung up with thinking they have to go to the school with the best rep possible, have the most advanced degree possible, have the highest paying job they can possibly get, have the fanciest job title available to them etc. That is all a bunch of BS. Sometimes the "2nd best" thing is actually better because it makes you happier. On your death bed the only thing that will matter is whether or not you are happy with the decisions you made.

5. TX515

TX515 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Man oh man if I knew then what I know now. Some say don't worry about your future plans, enjoy your youth. It is good you are thinking about your future and trying to make a map to follow. Some say you will change your mind lots of times. I changed my mind once.
    Go ahead and go pre-med, don't be scurd. I don't want to give you a major to follow because it should be a personal decision for you. I'd consider biochem or immunology if I could do it over again, but that is not saying I'd choose it over my biology major. What school will you go to? I am not sure if you can become certified as an EMT-Basic with only a high school diploma but if you can, I highly recommend you do this. It would be great for you to work as an EMT during the summer. During the school week, volunteer a few hours per week in a hospital. Or, you could look for work as an ER tech and just do that part time year round, which I think is a good decision. I think working a part time job will be good even though grades are so important. It demonstrates that you are able to handle a load greater than just academics. If you do these things, you will be on the road to becoming golden.
    Your first year, concentrate on making all A's. Grades come first. If you make great grades, particularly your first year, you will be even more closer to becoming golden.
    Good luck to you. PM me if you have any other questions.

6. Kazavana

Kazavana Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

the answer is simple... party like its 1999!! while, ofcourse, taking as many 101 classes as you can in ur undergrad. This should expose you to many other fields that may interest u and you may not know about which you may decide to pursue instead :D But dont forget to party, your only young once :(

7. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I can assure you, you don't need any more than an HS diploma to be an EMT-B. It's not a bad idea for a college freshman (although I'd say to do in in the spring semester), because then he can actually log some hours working as one before applying (and earn some money).

Anyways, for the OP - some people know all along what they want to do and do it (I always wanted to be a doctor), some people waffle around and then do something, and some people think they know what they want to do but never do it. If you really want to be a doctor, you sound like you're capable of that. In the meantime, enjoy yourself and have fun in college. Starting out as a pre-med isn't a commitment or anything.

8. gary5

gary5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Now, and during college, get volunteer experience working one-on-one with patients, the more sick the better. If you really enjoy helping them, then this career is for you. If you're bored, then you should find something else. The most important part of a career is neither money nor prestige nor challenge, but that you enjoy it hour after hour, day after day.

9. silas2642

silas2642 silas2642
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's really normal that you're already having second thoughts-- you're presumably eighteen or so, you're still in high school, and you have some growing to do. I would say that when you start college to try stuff out that interest you... if an english literature course turns you on, then take it. If you really are into psychology, then take some psych courses. The key is to just maintain a strong gpa and don't blow off your core science courses; this will come back to bite you in the ass should you choose medicine.

In the meantime, find out if this is the field with you. Like the other posters have already said, volunteer in a hospital, spend sometime with sick people, shadow doctors and find out what it's like. Talk to medical students, read books on the medical profession. If it's for you, then you'll get in, and if it's not you'll either be unsuccessful, or get into medical school and end up miserable for the next ten years of your life.

10. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

you have SO much time to figure out what you want to do. get exposed to a medical environment, and if you despise it, then it's probably not what you want to do. also, there might be something in college that you'll become extremely passionate about...something you never saw coming. the best thing you can do is go to college with an open mind (which it looks like you're starting to develop).

11. robotsonic

robotsonic Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Med-tallica,

It's fine to start thinking about medical school and your career, but don't let that prevent you from discovering other careers. College provides the perfect opportunity to explore every area that interests you, from biology to philosophy to advanced calculus. My advice is to use your time in college to explore *everything* that interests you. There are two major benefits of this: 1. You may find the perfect career, something that you never suspected, which is totally unrelated to medicine. 2. If you do decide to do medicine, you will know that at least you gave every other field a shot, thus preventing future doubts about your decision (which would likely happen if all you studied in college was biology and chemistry).

Good luck. And have fun :)

12. olsontf

olsontf futuredoc

Pre-Medical

Dude...you are in high school right now, HIGH SCHOOL. It is a time to sneak out with friends and get plastered to the wall only to come back and have your mom and dad find out, or take the car out and go to your girlfriends to have illicit sex until your parents come home from work. I am a pre-med right now and very happy. I had fun in high school and didn't even think about what the hell i wanted to do after 4 years of high school. High school to me was about finding out about myself and finding some sort of purpose in my life. Undergrad is where you find out what direction you will go in. Man, you are losing some serious years of no responsibility and experimenting with all sorts of fun stuff if you keep on worrying about what you're trying to do in life. My advice... do as many sports teams as you can, go have many endless nights of fun with your preferred beverage and ladyfriend(s), and enjoy not having sh** to do. Peace

13. Pretty POHA

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think it's great that you're already thinking about what you want to do. And being prepared does NOT equal obsessing about things so much that you don't have fun!

Success is 99% effort (& 1% circumstance) -- so if you set yourself up for success by giving 100% every time you try for something (don't give 110%, you'll burn out faster, just give it your full effort-- half-assed-ness is a shame).
    So if this means you give 100%, and you get great grades now, then good for you! It's good to think about things ahead of you!!!

But for as much as you work hard, you also must play hard.

14. autoimmunity

autoimmunity Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Telemachus said it best when he said success follows passion.

15. excalibur

excalibur Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    To the OP,
    Take pre-med courses when you start college and do your best in them. If you like it and want to keep taking more of them, then do it. If you don't, take some other classes that interest you. It really is that simple. That's what college is for.

Reminder: In high school, it's pretty normal not to know what you want to be when you grow up.