Just another nontrad in need of advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachelc

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Thank you in advance for reading.

Some stats real quick:
cGPA: 3.87
sGPA: 3.97
Female, Native American/Caucasian, in Chicago
A.S. Biology 2013 (4.0)
B.S. Mathematics and Computer Science 2017 (3.87)

I've been working as a systems engineer the past 2.5 years since I graduated. As you might be able to tell from the biology degree, I've had dreams of becoming a doctor for a long time, but I let people talk me out of it. Now a ways into my career, I'm deeply regretting my decision to not pursue medicine. I can't imagine doing anything else.

So I'm going for it. But I'd like some input on my best path forward. I financially support my mom and brother so I need to continue working full-time for the foreseeable future. The classes I still need to take are Orgo II and Physics I & II. I took an Intro to Biology for Majors class, as well as Microbiology, Physiology, and Anatomy, each one semester and with lab. Will that satisfy the biology requirement, or do I need to take something else? Is it a big concern that all of these courses were taken 6+ years ago at a community college?

Considering budget concerns, is it ok to take these courses at a community college over the next year? My goal is not to get into a super competitive MD program. I would be happy with MD or DO, assuming I can get a decent MCAT score.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

From my own experience, as long as your course meets the graduation requirement for biology, chemistry, and physics major, those courses that you took 6 years ago do meet the pre-requisite requirements. I took those classes 10 years ago they still counted for this application cycle.
It is recommended to take at a 4-year college, and i believe that there is truth to that advice. I did take some classes at community college (Physics I and II, Statistics) , but i made sure to either call or sit down with medical school advisors to ensure that the schools accept those classes. If the schools that you plan to apply to are fine with those courses being taken at CC, its great so you can save money.
Save time to study for MCAT, my only mistake was that I did not spend enough time to study for it due to working full time like you as well, especially CARS section. Its a good idea to practice 10 CARS passage daily, it will help you tremendously later on as its a section that cannot be studied, you need to do as many as you can.
Best of luck in your journey!

Reactions: 1 users
The classes I still need to take are Orgo II and Physics I & II. I took an Intro to Biology for Majors class, as well as Microbiology, Physiology, and Anatomy, each one semester and with lab.

Will that satisfy the biology requirement, or do I need to take something else?
No, these classes are fine!

Is it a big concern that all of these courses were taken 6+ years ago at a community college?
If you continue to do well with current coursework, it should be OK. NOTE: different medical schools have differing expiration dates on pre-reqs. You will need to research this on your own.

Considering budget concerns, is it ok to take these courses at a community college over the next year?
Given your financial concerns this will be OK.

Do you have a tribal card?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I do have a tribal card. I'm a citizen of the Cherokee Nation.

CC classes will limit some of the places you can apply to as some schools will not consider them (of course this is a mute point since many of your prereqs were taken at CCs and it makes no sense to retake all of those). And while taking courses at a four year college is preferable, nontrads tend to get more slack when it comes to CC courses, esp if the decision was driven by financial and/or geographic limitations. Sometimes we can piece together these things based on a person's disadvantaged/EO status, family income, dependents, etc

Reactions: 1 user
It would be completely acceptable to take these courses at a community college. What you can do is explain your circumstances somewhere in your application so the schools can appreciate how much you are juggling while meeting your premed requirements. Spend some time thinking about how to best convey who you are and what you are going through / have gone through, and you’ll be golden!