Just began career change, chem 1&2 grades low

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NDavenport

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just began a career change, hoping to go to medical school. I began by taking chem 1 and chem 2 this summer, wound up with a B+ in chem 1 and I'm going to be lucky to come away with a B in chem 2. It is pretty disheartening, especially considering the effort I've put in.
Can anyone tell me how these lackluster grades will play in my applications? Moreover, if for whatever reason I wind up with a C in chem 2, is there any way to recover and end up with a strong application?
Your advice/help is, as alway, appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

B+ (3.5) is a good grade in most people's books. B is also nbd.

C's are obviously not ideal but as long as you don't get too many you'll be fine. only thing that really matters is your GPA. I started my first year 3.5/3.0 and ended up 3.7/3.5 and being very well prepared for the MCAT.

B+ (3.5) is a good grade in most people's books. B is also nbd.

C's are obviously not ideal but as long as you don't get too many you'll be fine. only thing that really matters is your GPA. I started my first year 3.5/3.0 and ended up 3.7/3.5 and being very well prepared for the MCAT.

A B+ is a 3.5 at your school? Man, I wish I went there.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A B+ was a 3.3 at my school, but most schools on the +/- system have it at 3.5

a.PNG

Reactions: 2 users
A B+ was a 3.3 at my school, but most schools on the +/- system have it at 3.5

Nah man I've never seen a B+ weighted higher than a 3.3. If B+'s were 3.5s I don't even want to think about what that already ridiculous MD matriculant median GPA would be and what the 10th percentile GPA would be at some of these schools.

To answer the OP's question C's are never ideal but there was a saying for a long time on Yale Med school's website "if med schools didn't take students with C's there would be a whole lot of empty classes even at the top schools". It's not uncommon to even see people with multiple C's get into medical school without having to do some form of post-bacc/SMP; it's what the final GPA is and the trend that matters. A 3.7 with 3 C/C+'s from the first 2 years of college isn't an issue.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone,
I just began a career change, hoping to go to medical school. I began by taking chem 1 and chem 2 this summer, wound up with a B+ in chem 1 and I'm going to be lucky to come away with a B in chem 2. It is pretty disheartening, especially considering the effort I've put in.
Can anyone tell me how these lackluster grades will play in my applications? Moreover, if for whatever reason I wind up with a C in chem 2, is there any way to recover and end up with a strong application?
Your advice/help is, as alway, appreciated.
Overall GPA is what matters. One or two subjects isn't going to mess you up too much. A B+/B isn't bad at all provided that you've got As in your other subjects. And it's actually quite normal to struggle for your first year, especially since it's a while since you've been in school.

If your exam scores haven't been improving, consult your school's educational resources (tutor? adviser?) if you're lost on what you need to do to improve your study method. If your work schedule is coming in the way of your studies, reassess your courseload or find ways to be more efficient with your studies (watch videos instead of reading books, typing instead of writing, record lectures instead of writing, etc ).

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for everyone's replies. I guess I'm mostly concerned because I already have a BA (and an MA), but took no AAMC prereqs during undergrad. I heard if a candidate took prereqs late, like I am, they need to get an even higher gpa than the typical, fresh from undergrad candidate. Is that not true?

Thanks for everyone's replies. I guess I'm mostly concerned because I already have a BA (and an MA), but took no AAMC prereqs during undergrad. I heard if a candidate took prereqs late, like I am, they need to get an even higher gpa than the typical, fresh from undergrad candidate. Is that not true?

You just need to do well. You probably aren't going to take as many science classes as a typical pre-med as you are focusing mostly on your pre-reqs so its imperative to do well in these science classes you do take. Doing well in organic chemistry will qwell alot of fears someone might have about a C in gen chem.

@nverqrui what is your problem dude, just let go of the fact that we didn't agree in the other thread...those 2 quotes don't even make sense in the context of this thread.

Have I ever claimed or even insinuated that I don't make mistakes? No. Way to pull my post out of context in a completely unrelated thread.

@GrapesofRath I stand corrected, 3.3 it is.

Last edited:
Neither of those grades are app killers, so relax a bit. The bigger issue is that you struggled in relatively easy classes. Figure out how you can do better before fall semester starts. Go in with a plan that addresses why you did poorly in chem, and look for what is and isn't working.

What do you take next semester?

Thought I was gonna see a C or D before I opened this thread. You're fine even though those grades should and could be higher. You should start getting A's in some of the other sciences. If you get an A in organic chem, it'll help because it is much harder than gen chem and people would see other factor were at play and it was your first science and etc. Upward trends are always a plus so don't feel like a disappointment but use those grades as further motivation.

Neither of those grades are app killers, so relax a bit. The bigger issue is that you struggled in relatively easy classes. Figure out how you can do better before fall semester starts. Go in with a plan that addresses why you did poorly in chem, and look for what is and isn't working.

What do you take next semester?
I agree; the fact that I'm struggling through the gen chems is another factor that worries me. I won't be taking any courses in the fall, but will be going to a formal post bac program the following fall to cover the rest of my prereqs, get a committee letter, etc. I plan to start then with physics and bio, probably orgo. In the meantime I'll get a job in a lab, work as an EMT, and volunteer. I also get to audit classes at my wife's university for free, so I'll probably audit orgo to get a foundation in it.