Just called MSU-CHM regarding a 7 in VR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.D-man

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The admissions advisor I spoke with said that a 7 in VR is not an insurmountable obstacle (but a 6 would be). Although it is low, and lower than they like to see, they understand how wierd the VR section is. Additionally, since I did very well in the sciences, it is clear that I am able to comprehend passages and use critical reasoning.

The L I recieved did not seem like that big of a deal to her. That part can be made up for by writing a good personal statement and good essays in the secondary application. She said that with my grades (although she only inquired about my BCPM), clinical experience, and community service work I have a good chance.

That being said, I am not going to battle the MCAT again... unless I don't get in next year.

Members don't see this ad.

good for you. good luck with the process.

I really don't like VR.

The admissions advisor I spoke with said that a 7 in VR is not an insurmountable obstacle (but a 6 would be). Although it is low, and lower than they like to see, they understand how wierd the VR section is. Additionally, since I did very well in the sciences, it is clear that I am able to comprehend passages and use critical reasoning.

The L I recieved did not seem like that big of a deal to her. That part can be made up for by writing a good personal statement and good essays in the secondary application. She said that with my grades (although she only inquired about my BCPM), clinical experience, and community service work I have a good chance.

That being said, I am not going to battle the MCAT again... unless I don't get in next year.

I'm in a similar situation but with a 5 in VR. hopefully, msu won't discriminate against michigan students.

I'm in a similar situation but with a 5 in VR. hopefully, msu won't discriminate against michigan students.

They probably will... I have a 32 and have heard nothing yet. Although, I know of people who have got a 28 and below and they have already interviewed. I just don't get what they look for in applicants, I have all the community service etc. on top of a good score too. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
They probably will... I have a 32 and have heard nothing yet. Although, I know of people who have got a 28 and below and they have already interviewed. I just don't get what they look for in applicants, I have all the community service etc. on top of a good score too. :mad:

Things often seem random, don't they? =\

Regarding the low scores on VR, I heard from the admission counselor at MSU that only if the applicant's native language is NOT an English, the low score (5 and 6, and maybe 7) can still be considered competitive along with an average or higher score (10s in science) elsewhere.

Regarding the low scores on VR, I heard from the admission counselor at MSU that only if the applicant's native language is NOT an English, the low score (5 and 6, and maybe 7) can still be considered competitive along with an average or higher score (10s in science) elsewhere.

Although I was born in the US, I did not start speaking primarily in english until the seventh grade. so technically, english is not my native language. i'm not sure what i put on my amcas application though.