Just can't get myself to start studying for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ciardeme

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I can't seem to get myself back into the swing of things. I absolutely dread the fact that i have to put myself through this again. It really isn't like me. I am usually very disciplined in this kinda thing! Is there anyone else having trouble opening their Kaplan books again? :(

Members don't see this ad.

yes,I understand what you are going through, I feel the same way . I hate going to kaplan but I spend all my time in there. I hate kaplan books too. Thats why I ordered new examcraker books, I just had to do that. some thing new , something different and their audio CDs are really cool (I just listened to only one yet.)
I really don't know what to say but I dont think we have any other choice besides start studying.April will be here before we even realize. so.. I put my mcat scores from august right by my bed side so I see it all the time.I hate it a little more than my Kaplan books .

Just start studying concepts you like to study (may be not from kaplan book) and then see hopefully you will get your self started....Goodluck.

Originally posted by Optimistic:
•yes,I understand what you are going through, I feel the same way . I hate going to kaplan but I spend all my time in there. I hate kaplan books too. Thats why I ordered new examcraker books, I just had to do that. some thing new , something different and their audio CDs are really cool (I just listened to only one yet.)
I really don't know what to say but I dont think we have any other choice besides start studying.April will be here before we even realize. so.. I put my mcat scores from august right by my bed side so I see it all the time.I hate it a little more than my Kaplan books .

Just start studying concepts you like to study (may be not from kaplan book) and then see hopefully you will get your self started....Goodluck.•••

Hey Optimistic,

You should listen to CD #5, which talk about approaches to the verbal section. After applying their methods to the princeton reviews, things are lot easier. Hope you're enjoying the audio osmosis as much as I am. :p :p :p :p :cool: :cool: :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Smooth,

What are their techniques for verbal?

Thanks!!

I also listened to #5--was doing it for the chem section, which is on the same CD--and decided to start at the beginning with the Verbal, and guess what? All of the things they say NOT to do on the MCAT--I DID! For example, other test preps advise to read the questions, then the passages, and to not read all the way through, and to underline, mark key words, concepts, etc. ExamKrackers advises to read carefully and thoroughly, and to not read the questions first, and not to mark anything! I haven't listened to any of the other CD's yet, but am eager to try this new strategy as soon as I get around to doing practice tests.

I am too agree!! I took the MCATs last year. Didn't do well on it at all after studying for months. Now I am very discouraged and terrified about the fact that I'll have to deal with this test again. So I thought I should take the MCAT in August instead. Hopefully, this will not put me too much behind. Have any of you guy thought about the August MCAT as an opinion? Good Luck Studying :)

Do it in April instead. I have heard people that apply late have smaller chances...just a thought.

Tweetie

august? no way..stop padding yourself and/or procrastinating..take that sucker in april so you're ok time-wise. if you mess up...just remember during test day..you can always take it again in august. that relieves pressure i've heard. :clap:

besides, taking it in august will put you pretty far behind. you'll be getting interviews in late jan and early feb that you would have gotten in october, november, december if you'd done the april..since there are less interview spots available the closer you get to the end of the cycle, you won't get as many interviews..not as many as you would have with the same app but having been complete at schools a couple months earlier.

if you need motivation just go here
<a href="http://www.geocities.com/mcat4_02" target="_blank">daily mcat questions by yours truly + hopefully others</a>

I agree completely with Caveman. I know it's really really really hard to get yourself up to study for that test for the second time. I also know how surprisingly quick it is that you forget things that you'd studied inside and out only 9 months ago.

I was in the same situation last year. I took the MCAT for the first time in August 1999. I only got 27, so I knew that I'd have to retake it the following April. But then January came, and then February came, and I just could not motivate myself to start studying. So I just said, okay, it's better off just taking my sweet time and delaying until August 2000. Well, few more months passed and, before you knew it, it was the end of June and I'd barely started for it. I studied like crazy for 6-7 weeks leading up to the MCAT and managed to do well. But the August MCAT has pushed back my admissions timeline, and I've only received two interviews so far (with no acceptances), whereas I'm sure that I would've received a lot more had my files been complete in the summer. So I made the wrong choice and now I'm paying for it with a delayed admissions timeline.

If you're going to delay retaking the MCAT till August, make sure that delaying the MCAT will be in your best interest. If you delay it because you can't motivate yourself at this time, most likely you will find yourself in the same predicament with a couple months to go till the August MCAT. However, if you've started studying and find that you need more than 2 months to fully prepare for the MCAT, then delaying it might really be the right thing to do.

Your inability to motivate yourself is not a reflection on your laziness, and I can totally empathize. This is a very trying process and sometimes it all gets to be too much. Hang in there!!!

Thanks everyone for the advice!! I am already started studying for the MCAT this week actually. I did horrible on the verbal section. With that verbal score, I definitely need more than 2 months to improve.
However, do you guys really think that taking the August MCAT has a huge disadvantage? How about if you apply early and the only thing adcom have to wait for is the MCAT result? I already took the test twice. With all the classes and my research job, I don't see how I have time to study. Do you think that I should try to take the MCAT in April anyway? Thanks for your help.

Hi, if you don't have the time to study for the April test and you feel that you stand a much better chance of scoring well in August, then take it in August. But, if can make the time to prepare for the April test, then I do think that's better.

This is my first time going through an admissions cycle with a good MCAT score, and I took the August test. So far, I feel as if the August test has really pushed me back and that it is the primary reason why I've only received two interview offers. But, who knows, maybe I'll get 3 invites in the next couple months and then get accepted late, and everything works out in the end. So I can't say for sure at this point just how much disadvantage the August test imposes on your applications in the long run.

Originally posted by *****:
•Do you guys really think that taking the August MCAT has a huge disadvantage? How about if you apply early and the only thing adcom have to wait for is the MCAT result? I already took the test twice. With all the classes and my research job, I don't see how I have time to study. Do you think that I should try to take the MCAT in April anyway? Thanks for your help.•••

*****, you transformed into "cutie" !!?
:confused: :) :)

Sorry, I just change my displayed name. The old one stands for my anniverary and since my boyfriend and I just broke up I didn't want to keep that displayed name anymore.
Anyway. otter, thanks for your advice. When did you turn in your appl? I am pretty sure you will hear more from the schools within the next few months. It seems like everything is really behind this year. Good luck to you
:)

Cutie, sorry to hear about your relationship. I hope you're doing okay. :(

I turned in my AMCAS in July, got most of my secondaries between early August to mid September, and basically turned them in within a week of receiving them. If you're going to take the August MCAT, you should definitely NOT wait to turn in your AMCAS and secondaries until after the MCAT. However, I don't know that this makes a difference at some of the schools. The bottomline is, the August MCAT will not reach schools until mid-late October, and that will inevitably set you back at most schools with rolling admissions. Okay, it's past 1am so I'm going to sleep. But good luck and hang in there!

Listen to St. Elmo's Fire, by John Parr. Probably the most inspiring music out there. You'll be up and running in no time. :)

I know what you mean. Studying for the MCAT is not the most fun thing in the world. However, I am so disgusted with the inevitable rejections that I feel will be soon making their way to my mailbox, I am determined to kick some MCAT butt this time. My goal is to score so high on that darned exam that the eyes of admissions committees will bug out all over the country and I will have the pleasure of rejecting schools before they can reject me next time around! I am determined that revenge will be mine (at least I hope so :eek: )! Good luck to you all!

Medical123, are you planning to take this April MCAT? I know that it's tough to be motivated when you're not sure how your status would be in the following months? I basically just gave up on waiting to hear back from any school, and start my studying. I know you can do it. Good luck :clap:

Yeah, I am going to take the April MCAT. Last year, a school left me hanging until April 15th before I got my rejection letter after I had interviewed. By then, it was too late to register for the April exam. The admissions advisor that I talked to told me the the rejection was because of my physical sciences score. I got sick in August and bombed the test and I am sure that is why I have not heard anything from most of my schools. I am just trying to psych myself up for the worst possible case scenario and if I don't do well in April, I plan to try again in August. I don't want to wait around and not take the exam and have what happened to me last year. I am determined that I will be a doctor and I will not give up until I do it.