Just changed career from Accounting to Veterinary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MooSuga

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was in accounting and then decided I prefer a career in Veterinary care. Now, I'm half way towards finishing my undergrad in Accounting but with no science classes. Is there any tips for me? I know I have o take a lot of bio, chem, and etc.

But I read somewhere that you don't really need an undergrad dregree, and that it is possible but harder to get into vet school with some credit. Any ideas?

I will probably finish all my schooling by the time i hit 30. :(

But it's well worth it!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

Im probably the least qualified person to answer your questions (since I am new to these forums and quite frankly know much less then most of the people here), but Ill give it a shot anyway.

While it is possible to get into Vet School without the undergrad degree and just the prereq classes finished, I believe this is only acceptable at some schools The accounting degree might seem useless, but you want that diploma. It will feel good once you have it hung on your wall in that expensive wood frame as a constant reminder of all the years you wasted.(studying CSE in my case).

Seriously though, if you are relatively close, I would just finish the accounting degree and meanwhile try to squeeze as many vet prereqs into your schedule as possible (remembering to completely abandon your social life). You may in the end need a year of postbach work to complete the reqs, but I think it is worth it for a diploma

I studied Computer science for 3 years before deciding to pursue Vet med. and many forumers have worked in completely unrelated fields for many years before pursing vet school, so it is never too late. I havent actually gotten into vet school yet (which would make this a much more inspiring post), but I have applied and am praying for the best.

My last words of wisdom are to remember that actual vet experience is critical to your application, and some of these crazy forumers have 1000s of hours in the field, so get started now. Try to get experience in an assortment of vet med fields, such as small animal, large animal, exotics, research etc. The more the merrier.

Sorry for the long post.

V

I'm no stranger to volunteer and community service work. I have volunteered to many shelters and clinics within in NYC. I'm just wondering if volunteering seems more helpful in an application than actually working at an animal shelter.

Also, I am a bit nervous with the biology and chemistry classes, its been a while for me. But in HS, I was an A+ student with science but on a university level intimidates me. Any suggestion on favorite books and notes? Appreciate it all...thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have already started clocking those volunteer hours, then you have a huge leg up already. Don't forget to diversify though. I, for instance, have all my hours at SA hospitals, which is bad. While you are still in school, find a professor doing interesting research in anything vaguely biology related (animal related is of course the best) and email them until they give you a lab position. Vet schools love research experience, I would guess it shows you are academic, and not just interested in playing with puppies

In terms of Sciences courses, I wouldn't worry. You sound smart enough, and ultimately, the classes are not that hard. The worst part of intro science classes is that they are crammed full of premed students who push the curve up and up. In the end though, if you are willing to put in the time, you will do fine. Everyone knows Vet students are smarter and more driven then premed students anyway.

V

If you have already started clocking those volunteer hours, then you have a huge leg up already. Don't forget to diversify though. I, for instance, have all my hours at SA hospitals, which is bad. While you are still in school, find a professor doing interesting research in anything vaguely biology related (animal related is of course the best) and email them until they give you a lab position. Vet schools love research experience, I would guess it shows you are academic, and not just interested in playing with puppies

In terms of Sciences courses, I wouldn't worry. You sound smart enough, and ultimately, the classes are not that hard. The worst part of intro science classes is that they are crammed full of premed students who push the curve up and up. In the end though, if you are willing to put in the time, you will do fine. Everyone knows Vet students are smarter and more driven then premed students anyway.

V

Hi guys, welcome! Actually, in my experience it has been the pre-vets that are the most intense and tend to give the pre-meds a run for their money.

I applied to 4 schools this year and none of them required you to have a degree, just the pre-reqs. But you will hear it over and over, check with each school you are interested in because they all have different requirments.

Also, you mentioned diversifying volunteer opportunities. I been planning on going to foreign countries like Africa and Thailand and volunteering at wildlife conservatory programs and such. I'm hoping that will provide me with some diversification to my volunteer work.

And I've read in some thread about "shadowing" a vet, I have somewhat of an idea what that is. But how does one go about doing it and is it necessary? im pretty sure you can gain alot of knowledge from it

Hi guys, welcome! Actually, in my experience it has been the pre-vets that are the most intense and tend to give the pre-meds a run for their money.

I applied to 4 schools this year and none of them required you to have a degree, just the pre-reqs. But you will hear it over and over, check with each school you are interested in because they all have different requirments.

Which schools have you applied to? I was planning on applying to schools close to home (NYC) which is Upenn and Cornell. I'm guessing even with the prereq's you will have to maintain a high GPA but is the GRE necessary? I checked their websites and I couldnt find info on them...maybe I wasnt looking hard enough possibly. But any advice and info is much appreciated.

thanks in advance!

GREs are almost certainly necessary. I know Penn requires them, no idea about cornell, but I would assume they do. Penn's website does mention GREs somewhere, it even gives the average scores for accepted students. Dont forget to take them nice and early so you have time to retake them if you are not happy with your scores.

gone

Last edited:
Biology GRE (Ohio, Georgia when I applied).

Aren't you 2011? I applied Ohio State 2011 and they definitely didn't require the Bio GRE as I got in without it. I don't believe they require it now either, but hopefully ri23 can chime in if it's changed. It's UGA and Oklahoma State that required it for last cycle.

gone

Last edited: