Just checked MDapplicants, stats for NYMC up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blahwhatever

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I checked MDapplicants.com to get an idea of 2007 acceptances, and the stats of the acceptances listed were pretty high. Almost all of the ones listed had greater than 3.7 gpas, or MCAT scores that were around 34 and up.

I have a 3.47 gpa, and I thought I had a chance at this school, but I don't think so anymore.

Are there people on here who have still gotten accepted to NYMC in 2007 with gpa/mcat scores that are lower? Would love to hear from you, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

keep in mind that not everyone uses mdapplicants. mdapplicants in general is pretty skewed upwards.

I got an interview to NYMC with a 3.51 and 31Q mcat, and although I'm declined, i'm pretty sure many others with my scores (and lower) got invited to interview.

Keep your head up and definitely add it to your list. It never hurts, and you always have a chance.

I checked MDapplicants.com to get an idea of 2007 acceptances, and the stats of the acceptances listed were pretty high. Almost all of the ones listed had greater than 3.7 gpas, or MCAT scores that were around 34 and up.

Good for you, sir! Way to go straight to the source! It's a little bit like using wikipedia to find the latest medical studies. Ever thought about checking MSAR or US News?

I have a 3.47 gpa, and I thought I had a chance at this school, but I don't think so anymore.

Oh fine, I'll check it for you. Average GPA is 3.5 and average MCAT is 30, according to US News. You can gauge your chances accordingly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good for you, sir! Way to go straight to the source! It's a little bit like using wikipedia to find the latest medical studies. Ever thought about checking MSAR or US News?

I just checked the NYMC website and I found this:

"What are the average grades and MCAT scores of the first-year class?

Typically, the first-year class arrives with an average undergraduate GPA of 3.5. The average composite MCAT score is 30, with the following breakdown: verbal reasoning, 9.5; physical sciences, 10; biological sciences, 10."

I imagine its pretty accurate, seeing how its from the school's website and all.

the data on the website is a little old since we're about to launch a brand new website this summer...

I think due to location, strong match, and new facilities were closer to 31 3.6 thesedays... not a HUGE difference but definitely noteworthy. this school loves people who treat them like they actually like the school and arent using it as a backup. go into it with that philosophy good luck!

It's probably important to mention that they take a large portion of their actual class from the waitlist most years....and the admissions office is saying that they will just start to accept from the waitlist this week. So mdapplicants.com should just be showing people that were directly accepted so far. It doesn't represent what their actual class is going to look like come August.

keep in mind that not everyone uses mdapplicants. mdapplicants in general is pretty skewed upwards.

I got an interview to NYMC with a 3.51 and 31Q mcat, and although I'm declined, i'm pretty sure many others with my scores (and lower) got invited to interview.

Keep your head up and definitely add it to your list. It never hurts, and you always have a chance.

Agree -- it's a very self selecting group that posts there and cannot be looked at as an average as the average and below people often don't make profiles. Use that site as simply illustrative of the backgrounds of some people who get in, not as any statistically useful data.

Your first mistake was trying to draw any kind of conclusion from mdapplicants. Not only do the profiles there represent an extremely small sample of all applicants, they were very self-selected. To me, it's a fun site to look at but not necessarily to gain any insight from.

Use the MSAR or USNews for more accurate information.

Stats for all US schools are up

What I'm interested to know is what kind of bell-shaped distribution med schools have for MCAT & GPA scores. Typically, you wouldn't really expect a lot of high MCAT scores for most schools unless you're talking top-tier, so it's not a straight bell curve but shifted a bit. I'd like to know what it looks like though.