Just curious about Foreign MD to DO transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if its possible? How would it go? Would a foreign med student, such as myself, be forced to take OMM? or could I go straight into 3rd without having received any OMM training?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Check out the WUHS/COMP website, they will take MD transfer(I don't know about foriegn though, but I don't see why not). You will have to take OMM, andd I don't know how they would work it. Good luck.

lmbebo said:
does anyone know if its possible? How would it go? Would a foreign med student, such as myself, be forced to take OMM? or could I go straight into 3rd without having received any OMM training?

thanks

Of course you would have to be educated in OMM. There's a whole section on OMM on the COMLEX which DO students are required to take (equivilant of the USMLE that MD students are required to take). OMM is not something you can just learn by reading a textbook, it's hands-on learning, since OMM is hands-on. As a result, I think it might really hurt you to even transfer since you will be missing out on that knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might also have to take COMLEX Step 1 too (in order to take Step 2 and 3).

In some states, in order to get licensed, you have to take the COMLEX if you're a DO graduate (and the USMLE won't be accepted as substitute). Some state don't care if you take USMLE or COMLEX, as long as you take all 3 steps. So you have to look into this.

I think the rule of thumb is if a state have seperate board of medicine and board of osteopathic medicine, they have seperate requirements for licensure ... but of course, there are exceptions

lmbebo said:

thanks

I know that NYCOM has a special program for immigrant physicians that want to practice medicine in the United States. It used to be an accelerated program (3 yrs instead of 4) but I think they recently changed it so that they would have to go through the same classes as the rest of the students in the DO program (including OMM of course) and take the same boards. For NYCOM's entering class, they mentioned that I think 60 spots out of ~300 are reserved for physicians in this special situation (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Hope this helps!

thanks.

the NYCOM program seems like a waist of time and money. Its basically repeating med school once you're done with med school.

I know whats required of OMM. I was just hoping that a school would allow, someone like myself, to transfer into the 2nd year. And take OMM as a 2nd year. I believe it is part of you're 1st year curriculum though. And then sit for the COMLEX exams.

Its just looking like its not even worth the effort, especially since the school I'd like to enroll in, TCOM, doesn't accept transfers. Would like to be closer to home.

thanks for the replies.