Just curious... difficult for DO student to get into PMR? Also... anything about lifestyle + sal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

license43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
An MD has about a 90% of matching into PMR compared to about 75% for DOs. PMR is the most DO friendly ACGME specialty with the highest percentage of DOs per specialty, but MDs still hold the advantage. I think that the MSK background could be a benefit and help you into practice.

Generally, the more you work, the more you get paid. You'll also make more working in a high need, less desirable location. The case load varies considerably from provider to provider, but the specialty does at least buy you the opportunity to have a decent work life balance. The work can be very rewarding but also very taxing emotionally.

Look at the stickies.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There's a lot of info on this forum to answer your questions thoroughly, you just have to read through it.

"I think the perception is that yes, DO students can and have an advantage in getting into PMR residencies because they have more musculoskeletal training and their philosophy in Osteopathic medicine is preferred for the PMR specialty. Is that true???"

As a DO I don't think there is any such perception as what you state nor is the osteopathic philosophy preferred over allopathic medicine. Most people who match are MD's, and because more people are now applying to PM&R, it is even more competitive to get a spot as a DO student. I think the real perception is that almost all DO's will loose most of their osteopathic skills by the time they complete years 3 and 4 of medical school and complete an ACGME internship. Also, DO schools typically don't have any faculty that are physiatrist and there are only a couple DO PM&R residencies. If you want to go into PM&R I would really work on making my application stronger than the MD students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a below average DO student across the board with low COMLEX 1,2 and a repeated a semester. I did as many aways as I could and killed it. Matched Categorical .. If there's hope for me, there's hope for you.

Reactions: 3 users
I was a below average DO student across the board with low COMLEX 1,2 and a repeated a semester. I did as many aways as I could and killed it. Matched Categorical .. If there's hope for me, there's hope for you.

Wow! Awesome man! You must have really made an impression during your interview. Congrats!