just curious

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brr

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an interview at buffalo...I was excited at first, but now many people tell me that it is not a very good school. HOw do you determine whether school is good or bad and what is so bad about Bufalo?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

i live in upstate ny. probably just the weather. its not that bad really. winters can be cold btu then there's lots of skiing and nyc is like 4 hours away.

I interviewed at Buffalo and I loved it there. It's a very high-tech school and what's not to love about getting out of class at noon every day. Too bad I got put on a post-interview hold. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
brr said:
I got an interview at buffalo...I was excited at first, but now many people tell me that it is not a very good school. HOw do you determine whether school is good or bad and what is so bad about Bufalo?

Thank you.

I go to SUNY @ Buffalo for undergrad and my dad's part of the admissions to the med school so I might be able to help you. The South Campus is where you'll probably spend the majority of your time while in med school and there are many housing opportunities for students and stores are just a walk away (Walgreens, TOPS, Valu,...). There are shuttles that will take you to North Campus and also there's the Metro. The weather can get tough in the winter, but this year we've been having a weird winter. It's warm and the snow just melted away; normally we're buried in snow at this time of year. The hospitals (Buffalo General, ECMC, and Roswell Park Cancer Institute) are located in downtown Buffalo. Many graduates say that there is nothing to do here, but I've also heard other people say that Main Street in the University Heights, Chippewa Street in downtown, and Elmwood Avenue are alive at night. I can't tell you much about the med school itself since I'm just a freshman in college, but I've talked to current med students there and if you want to know more, just pm me and I'll give you their e-mail addresses so that you can ask them questions. I hope this was helpful.

Hermit MMood said:
i live in upstate ny. probably just the weather. its not that bad really. winters can be cold btu then there's lots of skiing and nyc is like 4 hours away.

NYC is NOT 4 hrs away from Buffalo. Buffalo is in western NY, and it's the westernmost city (close to Toronto & Niagara Falls, nestled right between Lake Ontario and Lake Erie). I've heard wonderful things about UB's medical school, and I'm a big fan of western NY myself (I'm from Rochester, which is about 60 miles east of Buffalo). Yeah, the weather can certainly suck in the winter, but the people in western NY are some of the nicest in the country, which I think makes up for much of the snow and cold weather.

Buffalo's more like a 7 hr. drive from NYC.

I think the school is great. Buffalo itself is very industrial and rather boring. The only way youll make it to NYC in 4 hours is in a helecopter. It is near toronto and a stones throw from Niagra. I would never settle there, but school there would not be so bad.

brr said:

Thank you.
Buffalo actually has a quite good regional reputation. I work in a hospital in Long Island and my co-workers have all said good things about Buffalo. Additionally, if you're from NY the tuition + living expenses in Buffalo is the best you're gonna get. I think that it gets a lot of crap for having awful weather, but then again a lot of other places in this country have just as bad or worse weather. Buffalo for some reason has this very prevalent reputation for having the worst weather imaginable. It's not nice weather, but I do think it's a bit exaggerated.

I don't know much about the school at Buffalo, since I live in Cali, but my really good friend/recent-breaker(no, shatterer, I should say, considering I can't eat for crap)-of-my-heart happens to be an OB/GYN resident in Buffalo, so I've spent a fair amount of time there. Ah, but that's another story, and I'd like to actually spend ONE night since New Year's NOT crying my eyes out. Oops- too late. Sigh. I don't date friends, and I thought this was it, but anyway, I digress- sorry - it's still quite fresh.
***Back to Buffalo***
His good friend is in med school at Buffalo, and loves it. I've heard nothing but positive about the school. He even has time to be an amazing DJ. There's an incredible music scene. I even considered moving for a short time, even though I'm used to SF, Santa Cruz and Tahoe. I could do it. I kicked myself for not applying to Rochester, but my post-bac program had crap advising.
Elmwood Ave is cool (check out "off the wall"). Cool enough to where I can compare it to College Ave in Oakland/Berkeley. There's always something going on around town, and if there's not, Toronto is only a 2 hour drive.
That's my 2 cents, for whatever it's worth. Good luck. I hope you get in there. It really seems like a great place. Besides, that's Ani DiFranco's home turf- how could it not be cool?

wow, thanx for your replies!!! That was so encouraging and helpful!!!
Now I can't wait to go there. Good luck to all of u :love:

brr said:
wow, thanx for your replies!!! That was so encouraging and helpful!!!
Now I can't wait to go there. Good luck to all of u :love:

Oh yeah, great. Good job guys! Here comes one more that we'll have to fight against for a seat come August. Good thinking guys. Real good. :rolleyes:

Haha. Just kidding. Good luck at your interview. Like everyone said, you'll really like it up there. ;)