Just decided to pursue Neurology - have some questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toxicmegacologne

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-

So I've been set on surgery (ortho, gen, urology) or anesthesiology since before medical school, but I've recently completed my neuro clerkship and was enamored. I never even considered it, and I'm pretty in the dark about the residency process. From preliminary research it doesn't seem to be too competitive (Idk why), which is nice.

Question:

What does it take to match a more desired residency program (location-wise)? I would love to be in either NYC or Boston (significant other works in finance and they have offices in both locations). NYP, Mount Siani, NYU, MGH, BW, and other "big" names would obviously be nice, but any of the hospitals in those areas will do. I know for EM Step 1 is less important compared to Step 2/ERAS. What is considered most important for Neuro?

About me:

Step 1: 252
So far I've gotten HP and Hs in second year
Run-of-the-mill ECs (research, etc).
Concerns: It's looking like I'll get a HP in Neuro (not H) not sure if that's a big deal or not.

(Sorry if this format is weird I'm on a bus home and working on my iPhone 5)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're looking fine. Step 1 is important for neuro, perhaps partly because of its legacy in the SF Match. Yours is good. Anyway, lots of options in both of those cities. Finding a prelim in those locations might be harder than the residency part.

You're looking fine. Step 1 is important for neuro, perhaps partly because of its legacy in the SF Match. Yours is good. Anyway, lots of options in both of those cities. Finding a prelim in those locations might be harder than the residency part.

Thanks for the response.

I'll admit that I'm a little confused by the prelim year. Are there many programs with combined prelim + 3 years of neuro?

Thanks for the response.

I'll admit that I'm a little confused by the prelim year. Are there many programs with combined prelim + 3 years of neuro?

Yes but unfortunately the top programs in the two cities you listed are the primary offenders about being stuck in the neanderthal ways of not making their programs categorical. NYC will be a little more categorical friendly than Boston though and I would expect you to be competitive there.