Just deciding on dentistry... do I have time for this application cycle?

Aug 11, 2016
Just shadowed for the first time and this is what I want to do. Between shadowing and DAT I figure my application won't go in until around November or December and I'll stick to schools without hard 100+ shadowing hours requirements. But what do you all think? I have all my prereqs done except orgo 2, which I am taking this semester, biochem and anatomy lab.

Also, has anyone had a professor write them a letter of recommendation before the end of the course? I have one professor in mind who will write me a nice letter but not a second :/

DKB15

5+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2013
Status
Dental Student
If I were you I would wait till next cycle and get everything together. I was about to apply and decided to wait because my DAT would not of been done plus things would of felt rushed. If you wait till next cycle you can have everything ready to go day 1.

My advice would be to trust the process.

Reactions: smurfeyD

Polkadotfan

5+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
I would wait. If it doesn't even go out until Nov or Dec you are really behind the curve because a lot of acceptances go out Dec 1st. You wouldn't have even been looked at at that point.
I would do well in the classes, get the 100+ shadowing hours, volunteer, rock the DAT and then be ready to submit next cycle. It sucks waiting, but to waste at least 1000 dollars on rushing an application and then 400$ + on the DAT isn't worth it because you'll be taking it super rushed and in the middle of classes.

nonociceptors

7+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2012
Status
wait

unless your GPA and DAT are excellent I don't think you'd have a chance. even then, most schools will have fully booked pre-dec and early post-dec interviews by the time they review your app.

Reactions: workofshart

lemoncurry

tequila mockingbird
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2006
Vermont
Status
Dentist
I would wait, because applying that late you might be lucky to get a waitlist spot at best. It's not cheap and I would wait to spend that kind of money when you have a much better chance at getting a chair. Besides, if you don't do well on your DAT you still have time to take it again.

Aug 9, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
I would apply, but maybe to only your top three max. That way when you apply early next year as a reapplicant, they can see you made improvements to your application and that a big plus to them.

Reactions: gangazi