Apr 20, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
I've had a few friends who just used the EK subject books along with the FL's and they scored above 30s on their mcat. I was wondering if anyone had the same experience recently or is TBR needed?

Sep 18, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I've had a few friends who just used the EK subject books along with the FL's and they scored above 30s on their mcat. I was wondering if anyone had the same experience recently or is TBR needed?
oh man what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another, don't just base your schedule on your few friends or the few people who comment here, make a schedule, and put some 'test measures' in between to see how you are progressing (AAMC CBTs if you really have to). The consensus is that if you are REALLY strong in sciences, EK is sufficient, but it varies from one to one. The best thing to do is to start off EK, and do some tests and see how you are doing, if you can score well then yeah why not.

My only suggestion to you is to get AAMC topic list and use it as your 'bible' making sure EK doesn't miss a lot (I'm sure it does)

Also I think TPR is the middle ground between EK and TBR, so a good option might be to refer to TPR for areas that you are weak at?

Gauss44

5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
That can work with the sciences if you understand, and truly understand, every last question in the lecture books (NOT the 10001 books). EK is concise because they left out all the fluff. You can't skip anything in EK lecture books without risking a bad score.

Jun 23, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
To maximize your score, I wouldn't recommend using just one company, regardless of which one it is. Each one has its strengths and weaknesses; in this case, I think EK is severely lacking in a lot of the smaller details that the MCAT tests on. That being said, EK was great with concepts and overall organization of material. I would suggest something like TPR or Kap for details to use along with EK.

Aug 24, 2013
221B Baker Street
Status
Medical Student
EK is a very good resource, like everyone said. I've noticed that many other resources like Kaplan gets way too specific for the scope of the MCAT. But they are right, nothing beats more practice questions from many sources. Especially do all the practice exams from AMCAS.

Jul 29, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I do not believe EK is suitable by itself to adequately prep for the MCAT. The reason I say this is that they are very general in describing the material and if something doesn't click(half the material for me) it really helps to have a more in depth source like TPR or Berkeley. I even found that EK didn't cover a few critical aspects of some subjects. Unless you are very fluent with the material already, the probability of EK doing the trick is not one to risk. That being said I found EK to be very helpful when I needed a quick review of something or if TPR/Berk got too in depth. EK's 1001's and 101 verbal are fantastic practice sources as well so by all means use them just don't short yourself by not investing in other prep sources.

1TB4RKSB4CK

wussup doge
5+ Year Member
May 6, 2010
Miami
Status
Pre-Medical
I think EK is great for reread days. It saves time by giving you the most concise info then from there, you can read your notes or supplement a bit from TBR.