Just failed Step 3. How screwed am I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SierraMist14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a PGY-1 starting anesthesia in July. I just found out that I failed step 3 by a few points. I honestly don't think I was ready for the exam; and the stress of intern year on top of trying to study really messed me up.

Now, it is May. I had planned to use the rest of my intern year to study for anesthesia, but now I have to retake this exam. Would you recommend I take it in a month and use the last few weeks of June to study for anesthesia or start studying for anesthesia now and push Step 3 to a later date?

And how screwed am I for applying for fellowships?

I'm really bummed out at this point. I hadn't failed anything along this journey until now. I can't believe it.

Members don't see this ad.

Make passing step 3 your first priority. It's OK if you start CA1 without knowing any anesthesia. Your program will assume you know nothing anyway. But you don't want to be a CA1 who's distracted by step 3.

Reactions: 2 users
Make passing step 3 your first priority. It's OK if you start CA1 without knowing any anesthesia. Your program will assume you know nothing anyway. But you don't want to be a CA1 who's distracted by step 3.

Ok, I'll do that. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
It can be overcome, but, as mentioned above, it can lead to distraction and a rocky start if you don't get that exam in your rear view mirror. Of all of the exams to fail, you likely picked the right one. Most know that the exam is just a thorn in people's sides and few do any prep work for it, so scores typically plummet compared to step I and II scores.
Do well on ITE's and impress your faculty early on and a fellowship can be attained. Prove to everyone that it was just a fluke and that you are not a risky candidate to become board certified, because, let's face it, that is why people care about these tests. People who do well on them usually do well on the Basic and Written ABA exams. That is what PD's want to have reassurance for.

Reactions: 1 user
It can be overcome, but, as mentioned above, it can lead to distraction and a rocky start if you don't get that exam in your rear view mirror. Of all of the exams to fail, you likely picked the right one. Most know that the exam is just a thorn in people's sides and few do any prep work for it, so scores typically plummet compared to step I and II scores.
Do well on ITE's and impress your faculty early on and a fellowship can be attained. Prove to everyone that it was just a fluke and that you are not a risky candidate to become board certified, because, let's face it, that is why people care about these tests. People who do well on them usually do well on the Basic and Written ABA exams. That is what PD's want to have reassurance for.

Thanks for the advice! Will-do.

Don't worry. Do group study if u can and particularly clinical scenarios. Befriend internist, obgyn and run the question banks with them. Lots of us fail In service exams, board exams the first time but eventually we succeed. Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
Don't worry. Do group study if u can and particularly clinical scenarios. Befriend internist, obgyn and run the question banks with them. Lots of us fail In service exams, board exams the first time but eventually we succeed. Good luck
Tell me a bit more about how you got your name, inquisitiveanus...

Reactions: 1 users
Just took day 1 today... What a strange test. <50% medicine. Seemed like all stats and strange pseudo-ethical judgment calls where all the answers seemed less than ideal mixed with some esoteric derm (5 derm questions and each rash looked exactly the same) and step 1 material.

Just pass it and you are fine. I failed Step 2 CS and it is so far in my rearview mirror that I hadn't thought about it in years until this thread.

Pretty much on point. Dude life happens, plenty of time to prove yourself later.

Hi all,

I'm a PGY-1 starting anesthesia in July. I just found out that I failed step 3 by a few points. I honestly don't think I was ready for the exam; and the stress of intern year on top of trying to study really messed me up.

Now, it is May. I had planned to use the rest of my intern year to study for anesthesia, but now I have to retake this exam. Would you recommend I take it in a month and use the last few weeks of June to study for anesthesia or start studying for anesthesia now and push Step 3 to a later date?

And how screwed am I for applying for fellowships?

I'm really bummed out at this point. I hadn't failed anything along this journey until now. I can't believe it.
Stay positive. Focus on passing it and take it step by step. Speaking from personal experience, it is not the end of your academic journey, fellowship included.