Just Finished First Week of M1 - Ask Me Anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just out of curiosity, and not really trying to get into some deep religious conversation, but does the same hold true for muslims who apply? and yeah, im not sure where he got that from. his situation is very weird, he got a DUI, while he technically never got convicted, it is still on his record, and in our state, it will never come off. i think his med school dreams are shot despite being a stellar applicant (minus the dui) but he is trying anyways.

We are accepting of other faiths, but our mission statement is "To continue the healing and teaching ministry of Jesus Christ, 'To make man whole.'"

Members don't see this ad.

We are accepting of other faiths, but our mission statement is "To continue the healing and teaching ministry of Jesus Christ, 'To make man whole.'"
Can you eat shellfish or pork or wear clothing of 2 cloth? Its just there are so many rules in the Bible its hard to keep up (and im a devoted catholic) Do you guys only pick and choose what biblical rules apply to the school because different denomination focus on different things ? Do you guys only look at the New testament not the old ?? Please dont take this as offense i am just curious . Also from my experience , Christian girls are the freakiest so I would love to go to Loma Linda and sully the waters :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
*shots fired*
If i'm correct he goes to Loma Linda School of Medicine which is a good school... stop talking about things you do not know and that US news report ranking isnt the say all end all .. Back on topic Hindu how is the bar scene ? Do the students form clicks?

This is an interesting question that I'm still grappling with actually. Bar scene is that of a normal college town - AKA lots of ****ty bars with cheap drinks and stuff, and a grimy dance floor. I am waiting until the undergrads get back to form a more representative scene. As far as cliques - I would say yes, but if there was an "in" clique, I suppose I would be part of it. Its not really a clique either, there were just a group of us that hung out before school started and became comfortable with each other. Of this in clique, we just go to the pool and pre-game and that kind of thing together. That being said, even at times I feel as I am not truly a part of it - as I am like 5+ years older than many of the people in this clique. But its more that people self-select not to be in it - they perceive the clique to be cliquey and thus develop an attitude that they/we are unfriendly, which really is not the case. Apparently other classes in the med school call this/our clique "The Plastics" or "Grey's Anatomy" lol. I find the bar scene difficult/different since I am visually different than most people who go to the bars - AKA a shorter in stature non-white dude, but I make it work lol.

What are the names of all the classes you took this year?

Currently taking anatomy, embryology, biochem, problem based learning, histology, pharmacology, and pharmokinetcs.

Did anyone quit yet? lol

Not that I know of lol, but apparently 20% of our class fails the first block...

Why were the Ms2 girls upset with you flirting with the chick ? I would assume the older one gets the more okay they get with their sexuality ?? How is the climate towards minorities ? are they treated like a token individual or "one of us"

Can you eat shellfish or pork or wear clothing of 2 cloth? Its just there are so many rules in the Bible its hard to keep up (and im a devoted catholic) Do you guys only pick and choose what biblical rules apply to the school because different denomination focus on different things ? Do you guys only look at the New testament not the old ?? Please dont take this as offense i am just curious . Also from my experience , Christian girls are the freakiest so I would love to go to Loma Linda and sully the waters :)
From my experience, it's the Mormon girls that are secret freaks

Sooo...not accepting of other faiths, then. Which is fine, but you can't really claim both.

Sooo...not accepting of other faiths, then. Which is fine, but you can't really claim both.

We are happy to include people of other faith traditions in our school, but that does not change the values we stand upon or the curriculum we teach. We will not discriminate against you if you are of a different faith, but we will continue to pray in class and reflect on Biblical passages in religion class. Our mission statement remains the same. We are not "not accepting of other faiths", because we accept them as our classmates and they can get into our school if they are qualified candidates who are stil dedicated to the Christian principles we stand upon. Our school has a policy (it is on our website) of admitting a certain number of people who are not Adventist but are still dedicated to Christian principles and they help diversify our class, which we need. The fact is people of other faiths don't want to be here at Loma Linda because the majority of them would never apply here (or they would look at the secondary questions and realize this is the wrong school for them).

And may I add that I rejected a scholarship from a 20 medical school to come to Loma Linda. I think that "unranked" Loma Linda still had more to offer me than the top 20 I rejected. I could have gone to a top medical school, but I feel that Loma Linda offers me things I will not find anywhere else on the planet. At my school, we have 24 hour moratorium (voluntary, but most people do it) from studying. What other medical school on the planet can you take a break from studying for a 24 hour Sabbath or rest and relaxation without feeling like everyone else is studying ahead of you?

good for you, we get it. you're religious. you like Christianity.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is just something about overbearing religious beliefs being implemented in a school that teaches medical curriculum that makes me uneasy.

Reactions: 2 users
Then don't apply to schools with a religious focus.

Ah yes, if that were the only way to avoid these overzealous individuals who think they are healing people in the name of God. I can't trust the judgment of someone who bases their entire life around a book written thousands of years ago, especially when it comes to something as science based as medicine.

What other medical school on the planet can you take a break from studying for a 24 hour Sabbath or rest and relaxation without feeling like everyone else is studying ahead of you?

I'm pretty sure every medical school does. Its called drinking Friday night and then being too hungover all Saturday to do anything else....

Ah yes, if that were the only way to avoid these overzealous individuals who think they are healing people in the name of God. I can't trust the judgment of someone who bases their entire life around a book written thousands of years ago, especially when it comes to something as science based as medicine.

You're going to be in for a rude awakening when (if) you actually enter the profession and find that a lot of physicians are religious. They may not hold convictions as strong as the students/alums of Loma Linda, but if you negatively judge everyone who "bases their entire life around a book" you aren't going to have many colleagues to turn to. (This is assuming you're not the type who only has disdain for Christians, and would also judge the Jewish physician who avoids the hospital cafeteria in order to keep kosher, the Muslim physician who skips the laparoscopic pig lab, and the Sikh physician who wears a bouffant cap over his religious head wrap just as harshly.)

What you just wrote is just as obnoxious as the stance you are objecting against.

Overbearing atheists are just as bad as overbearing religious folks.

In other words, do your own thing and don't preach if you don't like being preached to.

Reactions: 5 users
You're going to be in for a rude awakening when (if) you actually enter the profession and find that a lot of physicians are religious. They may not hold convictions as strong as the students/alums of Loma Linda, but if you negatively judge everyone who "bases their entire life around a book" you aren't going to have many colleagues to turn to. (This is assuming you're not the type who only has disdain for Christians, and would also judge the Jewish physician who avoids the hospital cafeteria in order to keep kosher, the Muslim physician who skips the laparoscopic pig lab, and the Sikh physician who wears a bouffant cap over his religious head wrap just as harshly.)

any of that applies to every day life. my issue is 1: when i have to hear about it without asking and 2: when their religious affiliation clouds their judgment as a physician. i have a feeling i wont have to experience much of either in the work place.

What you just wrote is just as obnoxious as the stance you are objecting against.

Overbearing atheists are just as bad as overbearing religious folks.

In other words, do your own thing and don't preach if you don't like being preached to.
I agree with you, this guy has no filter , you should see what he posted on my feed, and then added a bible verse, I didn't know that you could be atheist and a christian at the same time. 22301 Alum take many seats.

While I would never apply there and the whole concept makes me rather uneasy, I give respect to LL for being upfront about their code of coduct and general purpose. Clearly there are people who want that type of environment and succeed there.

My uneasyness comes from the feeling that it can probably get to be an echo chamber (I went to a super liberal college and this was certainly the case at times, so im not just picking on religious people) and I sometimes wonder what kind of information they are getting on us queers. Having strong beliefs is fine and good, but not every patient follows those beliefs and rules, and they still deserve to have access to evidenced based healthcare.