Just finished first year, now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pericardium

CPR certified
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I just finished OMS1 and started summer. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what I should do between now and end of 2nd year to do well on boards? Thus far in school, I am ranked about ~60th percentile in my class; I did slightly below average my 1st semester, then worked my way up to top quartile during 2nd semester.

Thanks for reading

Members don't see this ad.

live, play, maybe do sketchy micro? sleep x 9million

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same questions after my first year (about what to do to help with year 2). I spent a large amount of time studying for various year two disciplines which ultimately turned out to be a huge waste of time IMO. In hindsight, it is best to spend this break relaxing and recharging for the next year (because it is quite intense). So long as you are not failing or are on the verge of doing so, I wouldn't worry to much about where you rank in your class as it does not really matter.

Reactions: 1 users
Solidify and maintain your knowledge base from first year. Chill and relax.

Hi all, I just finished OMS1 and started summer. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what I should do between now and end of 2nd year to do well on boards? Thus far in school, I am ranked about ~60th percentile in my class; I did slightly below average my 1st semester, then worked my way up to top quartile during 2nd semester.

Thanks for reading
1) Continue to do well. That is your best prep for Boards.
2) Talk to your OMS2 Faculty about how best to prepare for their courses.
3) Enjoy the summer!!!

"I dunno, get married."

What do y'all recommend if we've already covered certain systems like GI, Renal, Cardio, and Neuro?

Hit FA, Pathoma, and sketchy and USMLE RX for these section?

What do y'all recommend if we've already covered certain systems like GI, Renal, Cardio, and Neuro?

Hit FA, Pathoma, and sketchy and USMLE RX for these section?

How about those $50,000 worth of ppt slides from your class? It must be worth something.

So going to Disneyland isn't an option?

Do nothing after year 1. And enjoy every second of it.

Chances are if you were fine first year second year you'll be fine as well. No reason to even board study at this phase, way too far out.

Reactions: 3 users