Just finished first year...some seasoned advice would be appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spillsomepaint

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's some background:
I graduated from a large research university last year with a BS in Psychology (doubled with Painting) with a great gpa, okay gre's, great rec's, and solid research and clinical experiences.
I've just finished my first year at the New School for Social Research master's program. (I considered not disclosing, but anyone who has read my stuff on these boards can knows that's where I go). I was really pumped about getting accepted here last year. It seemed like a really great fit, even if their funding was pretty much non-existent. I really liked the intellectual atmosphere they had, and the liberal areas of research were a great fit for me.
So my first year has ended and I am underwhelmed. There is ZERO community/structure/direction in the program. There is a laundry list of problems that me and several other students have identified with the program, and have actively tried to get addressed throughout this first year, with some small successes (I won't go into detail as I don't want to post a rant about my program). Bottom line, I don't think the loans I have to take out justify an education I feel is lukewarm at best. I have partial funding at this point, but even if I had more I don't know if that would make me feel better about staying here.

I am really open as to what I could do in the future. I know I want to do clinical work, and I feel very strongly about this, and have excelled in my clinical placements and courses. I have strong research interests in an area that is not heavily researched (LGBTQ sexual scripting), but to be honest I see myself more as a clinician in the future rather than an educator/researcher, so I think I would be comfortable in a more clinically focused atmosphere. I do fear though, that if I go somewhere without the heavy research component I will be missing out on the intellectual inquiry and satisfaction that I derive from research.

So, I am investigating other options, but I don't really know how to approach this. I don't know if I should 1. finish my masters, while applying to other programs or 2. not finish, as in not take classes next term, while applying to other programs.

I have been told various things from applying to other PhD programs, other PsyD programs, or MSW programs.

With the lack of community and advising in at my current program, I feel pretty lost here, hence my plea for advice from you guys! Any insight, advice, etc. would be greatly,greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
oh and ps. if you read through all of my ridiculously long post, thank you!!!

hey spillsomepaint! i'm sorry things aren't working out for you. i was really interested in your program, worked at a lab there, know several grads, and they seem to like it, but then again i met them in thier later years in the prgm, and they had all been in a very focused lab from 1st year, so they likely had more structure and mentorship than you.

are there multiple programs that you'd like to apply to that you didn't last year? for programs you applied to last year, how will your app be different, besides doing 1 year of coursework?

hey spillsomepaint! i'm sorry things aren't working out for you. i was really interested in your program, worked at a lab there, know several grads, and they seem to like it, but then again i met them in thier later years in the prgm, and they had all been in a very focused lab from 1st year, so they likely had more structure and mentorship than you.

are there multiple programs that you'd like to apply to that you didn't last year? for programs you applied to last year, how will your app be different, besides doing 1 year of coursework?

I think that, yes, there a some programs I didn't apply to last year that I'd be interested in applying to now. I probably wouldn't reapply to many of the same programs I applied to before, as I have more knowledge about what I want out of my program and education. Besides 1 year of course work, I've been a research assistant in a lab at the New School, and participated in a student academic group concerning qualitative research methods.

Also, another question, how is GPA looked at if you have a masters degree? My GPA in my program is a 3.4.( I still have 2 semesters left) Is this a poor GPA for a graduate degree?