Just finished my first semester of college ... Winter break now what

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JTMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm 18 years old and just finished my first semester at a local cc I believe I got a's in all 4 of my classes now that winter break is here what would be a good use of this time off ? Input will be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Sleeping, eating, and having fun. You're a freshman. Just relax.

Reactions: 8 users
Go get step 1 books and start studying. If you have time, I would also recommend studying for step 2.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Enjoy your break. Prevent burnout.

All in due time, take it easy for now.. You'll have more than enough to do when the time comes.

I'll give some actual advice:

So, if you seemed to handle this semester well, then I suggest looking into places to start clinical volunteering. You could finish off any orientation/training type things during the break and begin volunteering next semester.

Reactions: 2 users
Look for meaningful clubs/organizations/activities to start getting involved in and can eventually take over a leadership role in. Longitudinal involvement in several activities throughout the span of your undergrad career is always a plus.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys I'm 18 years old and just finished my first semester at a local cc I believe I got a's in all 4 of my classes now that winter break is here what would be a good use of this time off ? Input will be appreciated
Find something you love to do that isn't even remotely related to medicine and get on a schedule of doing it. Then continue to do this hobby throughout undergrad.: thank me in four years.

Go get step 1 books and start studying. If you have time, I would also recommend studying for step 2.
I kindly asked for advice not sarcasm I'm new here and need all the advice I can get thank you

See if you can find a research opportunity and publish the work as first author before the end of break. I mean your question is silly. You get 2-4 weeks of winter break max. What do you honestly expect to do in that time. Just enjoy it and start doing things once you get back to school. Shadowing is possbile. Do it for a week

See if you can find a research opportunity and publish the work as first author before the end of break. I mean your question is silly. You get 2-4 weeks of winter break max. What do you honestly expect to do in that time. Just enjoy it and start doing things once you get back to school. Shadowing is possbile. Do it for a week
Our winter break is little over a month

Our winter break is little over a month
still not enough to do anything that requires committment over a long duration which is pretty much everything except shadowing. Unless you are on campus and want to start getting connections for setting up research opportunities (not sure if CC have research or if there are universties close by). I advice you relax and start doing things once school starts.

still not enough to do anything that requires committment over a long duration which is pretty much everything except shadowing. Unless you are on campus and want to start getting connections for setting up research opportunities (not sure if CC have research or if there are universties close by). I advice you relax and start doing things once school starts.
Thanks for your opinion:)... I will most likely shadow a doc if I get the opportunity

Now that winter break is here what would be a good use of this time off ?

79a43dc837de279da2c9a16c529783fcda530505d4057d7a910df0a72be84af9.jpg

Lol in all seriousness you could look at volunteer and shadow opportunities, but I'd just take it easy. You kicked a** this semester, time to relax and celebrate!

Take it easy and sleep! sleep like a bear in winter! This is advice from someone who thought they could bust their asses with no breaks. It is completely FINE to spend a week or two, heck even a whole month doing absolutely NOTHING. It is healthy for you

Congrats on a great semester!
Here's a few things I would start looking into, if I were in your shoes:
1) Clinical Volunteering: Hospice, Nursing Home, Local Hospitals, Anything
2) Did any of your classes pique an interest in research? I am woefully ignorant of how cc students go about pursuing research opportunities; I come from a state school, so in-house, on-campus research is the norm, here. But if you're not that interested in research (yet), move on...
3) Non-clinical, yet relevant, Volunteering: consider tutoring middle school/high school kids at risk of dropping out. Maybe volunteer (or get paid) as an athletics coach/assistant coach. Any kind of work that gets you one-on-one contact where you get to make a tangible, rewarding difference in someone else's life. Do some good for others, and watch how that effect cycles back to motivate you and drive your own passions.
4) Read a book. Any book. Not young adult or cheesy romance. Try a book that'll really get you thinking about something. Some of your deeply held convictions maybe. Back when I had a little more time, I used to enjoy reading stuff by Dostoevsky and JP Sartre. Not that I agree with all of it, of course, but it used to just get me thinking about things other than organic chemistry and physics. Remember that, when it comes time to apply to medical schools, academic competency is just one of many competencies you need to demonstrate.
5) Sleep a lot. Re-energize. Rejuvenate. Then come back to class in January and absolutely manhandle your courses.

Maybe start looking into some clinical volunteering and shadowing. But you should just try to chill for the most part.

You should have had enough time to play around as a kid. You're an adult now, so start preparing for the future.

Freshman year is an ideal time to switch majors/career options.I'm assuming you're on these forums because you're interested in becoming a doctor. To make an informed decision, start volunteering and shadowing as soon as possible. You should figure out early on whether it is actually something you are passionate about by experiencing the field for yourself. Many pre-meds don't make it to the application cycle because they were off-put by their medical experiences.

Of course, volunteering/shadowing only takes up a small fraction of your time. The rest of the time can be spent at your leisure. :D

Do whatever you like. Shadowing is a low-commitment yet useful activity. Personally I feel incredibly inactive if I'm not doing ANYTHING besides hanging out with friends/vegging in front of the computer, and I usually do some volunteering at least once a week (again, rather low-commitment) when I'm home.

You could also look up some REUs (research experience for undergraduates) which are summer research programs that often offer a stipend + give preference to applicants who come from CC or non-research-heavy unis. Applications are usually due around Jan/Feb, so now would be a good time to check them out + find some LOR writers. Just google (Name of Random Research University that you're interested in) + (Chem/Physics/Bio REU) and you'll probably get some hits.

'Course, you can always step ahead of your peers and take a winter course.
Though I'm still getting heart palpitations from having to remember 300 years of US history in 2 weeks...

A lot of great insight I appreciate it guys