Just finished the GT QBank - my brief thoughts on it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
Removed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read various posts over the past few months with some people having raved about Gunner Training. I originally had had no intention of going through GT, but had entertained myself with the free-trial. I realized I had learned some stuff even from just the few questions I had done, so I decided to just bang out the QBank.

Let me make a point clear: GT says on its website that it has 6018 questions, and it uses this as an advertising scheme with regard to comparing itself to UWorld, Kaplan and Rx, which all have 3000 or fewer Qs. I decided to purchase a month of GT on top of the one-month free-trial, and I was surprised to see that the QBank has 2648 questions, not 6018. The additional 3500 questions or so come from their flashcards, which are not USMLE-style questions. When people talk about having "mastered" a % of GT, they're referring to the # of flashcards they've completed, not anything related to the QBank.

That being said, I can tell GT would be a phenomenal platform if one has a considerable amount of time (e.g. an MS1 or early-MS2), but I'm not in that position, so I decided to go through just the 2648 QBank Qs, which I did at ~200 Qs/day x ~2 wks. My performance on the GT QBank was ~85% (85, 94, 84 on USMLE Rx, FA Q&A, Kaplan QBook, respectively).

I found the questions to be very weak compared to USMLE Rx, FA Q&A, Kaplan QBook, Robbins Review of Path and University of Utah Webpath. They tend to be mostly one-step-style without much thinking involving, and in fact, some of the questions were so lame that I was embarrassed to have even been spending time on them. I would say that many of them were only slightly better and longer versions of BRS-style questions. So why did I continue going through them? For every 50-question block I had done, ~35 were cake-easy, ~10 were okay and ~5 taught me something I had either never encountered before or had served to reinforce a detail in FA that I had simply overlooked. The latter was also not incredibly low-yield info either, but in fact very helpful information. The gain of ~5 questions' worth of perspective/info per block somewhat nullified the other lame 45 questions that I had to sift through.

People have given USMLE Rx a reputation of catering to FA; by all means, GT covets FA more than any resource I've seen so far. Although annoying much of the time, I'm glad that it helped to fill in a few pieces of the text that I had not cared to notice in the past. However, USMLE Rx is a much stronger QBank, with many more twists and turns and multi-step questions. I've come out of GT having merely reinforced the basics much better to the extent that many topics have become rapid recall, but I do not feel it has helped me progress substantially in terms of tackling new question formats, trickery or multi-step logic.

The explanations were also very poor, which is why I've had to post so many threads on here for the past couple weeks asking for elaboration on various Qs. Interestingly, the weak explanations that I had encountered via the free-trial were an incentive to go through the QBank because I knew that I'd be able to get through it more quickly. That being said, some of the explanations were also wrong at times or had left out important information that should have most certainly been mentioned. I had also encountered an error in a question at a rate of ~2 or 3 per 50-question block. My lasting impression following many of the blocks was that the question-writers actually didn't know the material that well, which was surprising because the credentials of some of the authors are exemplary. I honestly thought I'd be able to write much better questions, and I haven't even sat the Step yet.

Bottom line: GT QBank tends to focus heavily on the material in FA, thereby providing a good reinforcement of some of the concepts within the text. The questions are not strong, so they should be viewed as a mere adjunct to learning the FA text rather than for purely learning the USMLE-style question format. GT QBank will point out details in FA that you have forgotten/overlooked, so therefore it is beneficial to blast through if you have time. I have likely gained 3-6 additional questions correct on my future USMLE having gone through this QBank. I would not recommend it if you are within 3 months of your exam, however I would if you are > 3-months-out, have already finished USMLE Rx, and are looking for an additional boost before progressing to Kaplan and UWorld QBanks. Definitely do Rx, Kaplan and UWorld before considering GT QBank. Only do GT QBank before one of those big three if you have time to squeeze it in and know you can finish the others before your exam.

Cheers,

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pholston. Rising M2 here reading a bit of Phys and intro chapters in Pathoma, but have not started reading FA...I have been debating between GT, USMLErx, and Kaplan qbank to reinforce FA from day 1 of M2, with Uworld coming 2nd semester. Given your assessment of GT (thanks), it's down to USMLErx and Kaplan qbank. I've read 10 different threads, and it seems like you're in the minority who say rx is better than kaplan. Can you explain?

Pholston. Rising M2 here reading a bit of Phys and intro chapters in Pathoma, but have not started reading FA...I have been debating between GT, USMLErx, and Kaplan qbank to reinforce FA from day 1 of M2, with Uworld coming 2nd semester. Given your assessment of GT (thanks), it's down to USMLErx and Kaplan qbank. I've read 10 different threads, and it seems like you're in the minority who say rx is better than kaplan. Can you explain?

Four reasons why I did Rx before Kaplan (which I'm starting in a couple weeks-time):

1) I read this post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=597742. Notice he did Rx before Kaplan.

2) I read this: http://www.usmleme.com/Question-banks-and-the-USMLE-Step-1

3) I read this: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=12295038#post12295038"

4) I had heard repeatedly that Rx reinforces FA. I had read FA cover-to-cover before starting Rx, so I wanted the initial FA-Rx combo as my "first exposure" to USMLE material. Kaplan apparently throws a lot of minutiae at people, so I wanted to know what was higher-yield pretty much right away.

4) I had heard repeatedly that Rx reinforces FA. I had read FA cover-to-cover before starting Rx, so I wanted the initial FA-Rx combo as my "first exposure" to USMLE material. Kaplan apparently throws a lot of minutiae at people, so I wanted to know what was higher-yield pretty much right away.

Awesome. Thanks. I think I saw that you read FA in 10 days, 8 hrs a day...

Is it possible to read FA straight through without having any material from M2? If not, when is the threshold (content-wise) for being able to? Wouldn't it be wiser to match the question bank and FA chapter with the current system we are studying?

Awesome. Thanks. I think I saw that you read FA in 10 days, 8 hrs a day...

Is it possible to read FA straight through without having any material from M2? If not, when is the threshold (content-wise) for being able to? Wouldn't it be wiser to match the question bank and FA chapter with the current system we are studying?

Part of the challenge of developing your own custom timeline is just taking the time to read tons of posts. I had finished MS2 three months before I even saw FA, so by the time I read it, I had already had MS2 under the belt, so I was able to go through and make complete sense of it. Btw, my first read took me 8-12 hrs/day x ~3 wks. My second read so far has NOT been ten days in duration. The pace is actually only slightly faster than when I had first read it. At the same time, I don't just read. I make sure I can think about everything on the page and essentially reproduce all of the material by memory before moving on, so my rate is invariably slow. I'm not (and never will be) one of those people who can read it in three days. I just never feel comfortable unless I take the time to recite/draw everything out, and it just takes forever. I've been mixing the second cover-to-cover pass in with questions at the moment. I had put the FA-read on pause as I went through the GT Qs, but now I'm picking it back up and making sure I finish it before starting Kaplan QBank. I also think I might do NBME3 before I start Kaplan QBank. I haven't done one yet and that particular form is being retired at the end of this month.

To answer more of your question though, you can go through FA during MS2, but you're not going to bridge the information as well as you could compared to if you've gone through other resources first, because FA is seriously just a massive review, and there's not much explanation of the greater picture within it. I would recommend going through the Sanjiv Microcards in full before even looking at micro in FA, and, for any given week, I would go through the relevant BRS Pathology sections on Sunday/Monday before your PBL, read the relevant sections in DejaReview USMLE Step1 before your pathology prac/lab, read the path from FA at the end of the week and then finish on Saturday with University of Utah Webpath or Robbins Review of Path questions. Of these latter two resources, if you don't get to both of them at the end of a week, do the questions from the remaining one when preparing for your SoM's exams. Sundays should always be for reading BRS Pathology in preparation for the following week's PBL and should never be review of the previous week. Once Saturday passes, move on.

My MS2 was mainly just reading big Robbin's cover-to-cover during the week. I never went to lecture and used to just stay up all night reading and memorizing it. I hadn't discovered BRS Path and DejaReview until second-semester. When I finished MS2, I played "catch-up" and spent a few days at ~8-10 hrs/day finishing the BRS from first-semester material. There's other stuff, but we could always talk about that later.

Last edited:
I've read various posts over the past few months with some people having raved about Gunner Training. I originally had had no intention of going through GT, but had entertained myself with the free-trial. I realized I had learned some stuff even from just the few questions I had done, so I decided to just bang out the QBank.

Let me make a point clear: GT says on its website that it has 6018 questions, and it uses this as an advertising scheme with regard to comparing itself to UWorld, Kaplan and Rx, which all have 3000 or fewer Qs. I decided to purchase a month of GT on top of the one-month free-trial, and I was surprised to see that the QBank has 2648 questions, not 6018. The additional 3500 questions or so come from their flashcards, which are not USMLE-style questions. When people talk about having "mastered" a % of GT, they're referring to the # of flashcards they've completed, not anything related to the QBank.

That being said, I can tell GT would be a phenomenal platform if one has a considerable amount of time (e.g. an MS1 or early-MS2), but I'm not in that position, so I decided to go through just the 2648 QBank Qs, which I did at ~200 Qs/day x ~2 wks. My performance on the GT QBank was ~85% (85, 94, 84 on USMLE Rx, FA Q&A, Kaplan QBook, respectively).

I found the questions to be very weak compared to USMLE Rx, FA Q&A, Kaplan QBook, Robbins Review of Path and University of Utah Webpath. They tend to be mostly one-step-style without much thinking involving, and in fact, some of the questions were so lame that I was embarrassed to have even been spending time on them. I would say that many of them were only slightly better and longer versions of BRS-style questions. So why did I continue going through them? For every 50-question block I had done, ~35 were cake-easy, ~10 were okay and ~5 taught me something I had either never encountered before or had served to reinforce a detail in FA that I had simply overlooked. The latter was also not incredibly low-yield info either, but in fact very helpful information. The gain of ~5 questions' worth of perspective/info per block somewhat nullified the other lame 45 questions that I had to sift through.

People have given USMLE Rx a reputation of catering to FA; by all means, GT covets FA more than any resource I've seen so far. Although annoying much of the time, I'm glad that it helped to fill in a few pieces of the text that I had not cared to notice in the past. However, USMLE Rx is a much stronger QBank, with many more twists and turns and multi-step questions. I've come out of GT having merely reinforced the basics much better to the extent that many topics have become rapid recall, but I do not feel it has helped me progress substantially in terms of tackling new question formats, trickery or multi-step logic.

The explanations were also very poor, which is why I've had to post so many threads on here for the past couple weeks asking for elaboration on various Qs. Interestingly, the weak explanations that I had encountered via the free-trial were an incentive to go through the QBank because I knew that I'd be able to get through it more quickly. That being said, some of the explanations were also wrong at times or had left out important information that should have most certainly been mentioned. I had also encountered an error in a question at a rate of ~2 or 3 per 50-question block. My lasting impression following many of the blocks was that the question-writers actually didn't know the material that well, which was surprising because the credentials of some of the authors are exemplary. I honestly thought I'd be able to write much better questions, and I haven't even sat the Step yet.

Bottom line: GT QBank tends to focus heavily on the material in FA, thereby providing a good reinforcement of some of the concepts within the text. The questions are not strong, so they should be viewed as a mere adjunct to learning the FA text rather than for purely learning the USMLE-style question format. GT QBank will point out details in FA that you have forgotten/overlooked, so therefore it is beneficial to blast through if you have time. I have likely gained 3-6 additional questions correct on my future USMLE having gone through this QBank. I would not recommend it if you are within 3 months of your exam, however I would if you are > 3-months-out, have already finished USMLE Rx, and are looking for an additional boost before progressing to Kaplan and UWorld QBanks. Definitely do Rx, Kaplan and UWorld before considering GT QBank. Only do GT QBank before one of those big three if you have time to squeeze it in and know you can finish the others before your exam.

Cheers,

Hey mate. When are u writing the Usmle?

I've come out of GT having merely reinforced the basics much better to the extent that many topics have become rapid recall, but I do not feel it has helped me progress substantially in terms of tackling new question formats, trickery or multi-step logic.

This sums up the true point of GT pretty well. I wouldn't recommend anyone do the qbank alone. Agree with the quality of the questions/answers as well

GT Qbank is awful, that I agree...GT itself is amazing for memory and retention and its daily questions

Point being, if you are someone who follows the three-step mantra of [acquire all baseline knowledgebase from classes, FA, etc..-->do Qbanks --> take practice NBMEs], GT in my opinion is phenomenal in acquiring the knowledgebase in that you master FA+more and as philoston suggested, you get the quick 1-step questions to drill everything into your skull...for qbanks on the other hand, i wouldnt waste my time with GT and just do uworld, rx, kaplan

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just glad I'm not taking it in December. Cant have phloston screwing up the curve for everyone else. I'll barely pass if I take it with him ;)

Last edited:
Phloston , amazing work man , really wish you the best of luck by the time you take your test.

Can you be more specific about your study techniques/schedule/tips??

How do you pull off these "8-12 hrs/day x ~3 wks" and be so consistent ?? Coffee/tea and all-nighters ?? 10 min. rest every 50 or just go through as much as you can before taking a pause?? write things down or just take notes on books or just understand and move on ?? How fast pages/hour ?? And how do you stay so engaged when studying ?? switch off distractions or library?? ....etc etc etc.

Phloston , amazing work man , really wish you the best of luck by the time you take your test.

Can you be more specific about your study techniques/schedule/tips??

How do you pull off these "8-12 hrs/day x ~3 wks" and be so consistent ?? Coffee/tea and all-nighters ?? 10 min. rest every 50 or just go through as much as you can before taking a pause?? write things down or just take notes on books or just understand and move on ?? How fast pages/hour ?? And how do you stay so engaged when studying ?? switch off distractions or library?? ....etc etc etc.

dedi****incation and shots of pollux's perineal sweat

:D

Phulaston why you speechless bro?

Well, this isn't from this thread, but we'll add him to the mix:

Pholston's

For every "12hr" day, that probably means ~10 hrs of actual studying and 2hrs of Gd knows what. I don't drink coffee but do drink lots of tea. I bought a giant box of Earl Grey and probably have a cup every 2-3 hrs or so (~2 parts tea to ~1 part milk). I find that works quite well for me. I also work through the night for the most part. There are fewer distractions. The good thing is that my nocturnal schedule here in Oceania will translate into a normal, diurnal one when I fly to New York to sit the USMLE in December.

I tend to go on many tangents while I study (i.e. I could have encountered a GIT question, but then remembered a drug that treated a similar condition, then all of a sudden I'm off digressing and reviewing endocrine), so although I may put in hours, sometimes the efficiency perhaps isn't too exemplary.

dedi****incation and shots of pollux's perineal sweat

:D

I've actually read Pollux's post ~20 times. It's definitely helped me stay motivated. I've realized that he lived, breathed and dreamed the USMLE. This explains, not how, but why he was able to do so well. When I had first arrived at UQ in Australia in January of 2010, an upper-classman had told me a rumor that there was an Asian student at our school (i.e. Pollux) who, a year earlier, had locked himself in his room for a year and did ~11,000 unique questions and got the highest score in the world on the USMLE. I remember having thought to myself at that time, "wow, he must have cared a lot, but I would never do that, nor will I ever sit the USMLE." I think sometimes I've shocked myself in the sense that I had never thought I would be one to care so much or try so hard, because I've never been that type, and I definitely had never applied myself that much in HS or college (but that probably makes many of us).

Last edited:
you guys need to quit screwing up Phlossin's name and show some respect

4429422_267894_flossing.jpg

1306420929oMV0kK.jpg

LOL... what would the SDN step 1 board be without Phlosston? All jokes aside, your work ethic and enthusiasm is an inspiration to us all :)

Phloston Question you mentioned that you did all the qbanks except for Uworld above in your op, Have you also done uworld, if you don't mind telling us; what was your percentage?

Also it seems like you still have 5+ months to go in your study plan and you seem to be hitting the score range you want in your bank percentages why not just move up the exam and take it ? If you are taking it in december then what are you planning to do in these 5 months could you just elaborate, I have a few weeks left and I was wondering what to do as well? ie Will you be doing all the question banks kaplan Rx and Uworld again before your exam in this time period or just focus on FA etc?

Phloston Question you mentioned that you did all the qbanks except for Uworld above in your op, Have you also done uworld, if you don't mind telling us; what was your percentage?

Also it seems like you still have 5+ months to go in your study plan and you seem to be hitting the score range you want in your bank percentages why not just move up the exam and take it ? If you are taking it in december then what are you planning to do in these 5 months could you just elaborate, I have a few weeks left and I was wondering what to do as well? ie Will you be doing all the question banks kaplan Rx and Uworld again before your exam in this time period or just focus on FA etc?

I haven't done Kaplan QBank yet. I've only done the QBook. I need to spend the next few months getting through Kaplan and UWorld QBanks and perhaps giving FA a third cover-to-cover thorough pass (not read). I'll use the last two months to go through Rx, Kaplan and UWorld all for a second time, as well as to touch up on various other things/resources. I also need to get some of the NBMEs out of the way. I'll be taking NBME3 fairly soon though, as they are retiring it on July 30th. That will at least give me a vague idea of a ballpark scoring range because I honestly have no idea right now.