Just finished today - want to hear your thoughts.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zomorrod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Little bit of a back-ground. Non-traditional student going back to school after 15 years. Engineering degree. English is my second language. GPA is around 2.95

Took the DAT in AUG 2010 but didn't get in. So I just took it again today and here are the results:

OLD DAT
AUG 26, 2010 results:

PAT 26
QR 19
RC 16
BIO 20
GCHEM 20
OCHEM 23
TS 20
AA 20

NEW DAT
JAN 26, 2012

PAT 24
QR 19
RC 22
BIO 22
GCHEM 22
OCHEM 18
TS 20
AA 21

So glad to be done with it, but last time it was English, this time it's OChem.

Good job

Your DAT is fine. TS is over 20 mark and your RC is over 20. 21 AA is fine.

What is your science GPA? You might wanna do 1 year master program to boost that up. If you don't get in,at least you know DAT is not what is holding you back.

Awesome scores all around. GPA needs a bit work but in the realm of the DATs I think you've accomplished some great stuff !

Great DAT score... How long did you study for and what did you do for the RC score... Thanks in advance. Good luck with your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those scores are awesome!! Congrats!! How did you study for the DAT and how long did you study for?

I studied for 4 weeks.

Chad's videos and took copious notes and then would just go back and read the notes.
Cliff's AP BIO
KBB
QVault
Destroyer (GC and OC)
Topscore, Achiever, Crack PAT/RC

Like others have said, you DAT is plenty good! The 18 in O-chem isn't going to raise any red flags either. Great job bringing that up.

GPA is a bit worrisome but your high science GPA should compensate for that. Talk to the schools you're interested in, I am sure they'll see you have the desire and capability.

Like others have said, you DAT is plenty good! The 18 in O-chem isn't going to raise any red flags either. Great job bringing that up.

GPA is a bit worrisome but your high science GPA should compensate for that. Talk to the schools you're interested in, I am sure they'll see you have the desire and capability.

GPA can be somewhat forgiven for what I would call "extreme" non-traditionals, especially if they show a solid aptitude in their DAT and other areas of making themselves "stand out" as an applicant. I mean, 15 years out of school and this person did as well or better on the DAT than many current undergrads fresh out of these classes - that's proof enough that they can focus and retain information, regardless of the age of their classes or their old GPAs.

I've been told by 3 different admissions counselors at schools to which I'm applying this summer that non-trads with engineering degrees are very rare and are excellent candidates for their programs. All three said that while GPAs are indeed important for any applicant, non-traditionals with other areas of unique experience (career, family, volunteer, etc.) can indeed offset any deficiencies in GPA, and even DAT scoring.

A good example of the leniency of dental colleges on GPA and DAT scores is a thread that was posted on SDN last week that shows the range of GPA and DAT scores for accepted students over the past few years (doc toothache). I mean, it's almost shocking on the minimums reported for accepted students. One example was a 12 AA on the DAT and a 2.22 GPA (not necessarily from the same person)! What on earth did they do to convince a college to accept them? Personal statement? Solid career? Did they get a 12 on the DAT but have a 4.0 in all classes in college, or a 25 on the DAT and 2.22 GPA? Just to get an interview with those stats seems unimaginable, but nearly every school has some of these in their acceptance pool.

That's great, and I knew this when I responded. However, the information here can be used by others in the same predicament, regardless of its age.

Wasn't my intention to sound like a dick at all. People sometimes don't notice the date when they reply to threads is all.

Wasn't my intention to sound like a dick at all. People sometimes don't notice the date when they reply to threads is all.

Sorry about that - just on edge today. Wife and I lost our dog to organ failure this weekend, so I'm not firing on all cylinders.