Just for fun: Interview setting/seating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What was the setting for your interview space?

• Ad Com sitting behind a desk across from you

Votes: 74 71.2%
  • Ad Com sitting in a conference room with big table

Votes: 40 38.5%
  • Ad Com sitting next to/adjacent to you in comfortable chairs

Votes: 43 41.3%
  • Outdoor seating

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Other - please give specifics in a reply

Votes: 6 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

openstage

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have completed an interview this cycle (19-20) please complete the attached poll. This probably seems like a silly topic, but let’s see how many people respond.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow and here I was trying to think of a way to vent on SDN about a specifc weird seating situation at an interview. Good looking out OP.

I walked into the room and the interviewer beckoned me to a seat right by the door and proceeded to sit at her desk...a solid 8+ feet away. There was not even anything blocking the way. Just a huge rift of empty space. It was so awkward and made me question whether it was some sort of test or power move for the entire interview.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 15 users
I know it’s not funny for you having lived it, but it’s amusing to hear about now.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Tbh the weirdest was being outdoors with my student interviewer (happened at two schools). I liked it but it made me worried I was acting too casual bc of it...

Tbh the weirdest was being outdoors with my student interviewer (happened at two schools). I liked it but it made me worried I was acting too casual bc of it...
I think I would have liked that, maybe less stressful. Now what I want to hear is someone who took an interviewee for a stroll for the interview.

Probably wanted to see if you’d change your behavior with the perceived casualness.

Reactions: 3 users
I like the results of the survey...
5B28BD53-5E5C-4AE5-8032-9813073C2847.png

163.5 % response rate!

I just fixed it. When I read multiple responses I intended that to mean multiple votes on diff occasions.

My interviewer brought me to the cafeteria...
Definitely threw me off my game and would be happy if I even got WL

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed in the person's very small office with a large microscope sitting on the desk directly between him and I...had to physically move the chair so I could just barely be directly facing him and make eye contact

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

For some reason I am just picturing something like this:

1572289384119.png

Reactions: 1 users