just for fun- pathology vs anesthesiology

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by DOhopeful08, Jan 3, 2009.

1. DOhopeful08

Medical Student
    i know i'm trolling here but what do you guys think about these two specialties? path and gas are two very different fields, but i am attracted to them for different reasons.

path- pretty easy to get into, chill residency, good salary.
    gas- procedural base specialty!! actually can save a life!! opportunity to become partner (i enjoy business)

you can probably tell from my post that i'm leaning towards gas but the lifestyle that goes with path is something to consider.

2. yaah

yaah Boring
    Administrator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'll answer from the path point of view - if those are your two main reasons for considering path you'd probably want to do some more thinking. Residency is less stressful in some ways (less call) but requires a lot of work. We spend a lot of time outside of the hospital still doing work.

You should not pick a specialty primarily because of lifestyle. It should be a minor factor. Even a great lifestyle makes for a miserable career if you're in it for the wrong reasons. If you really like doing procedures and that's what you want out of your career and you enjoy the daily work of anesthesia, that is what you should do.

As far as the opportunity to become a partner, that's part of path also. And there are a ton of business opportunties because pathologists run labs and do many associated business tasks.

3. stargirl50

stargirl50 Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'm a 4th year applying for anesthesia, and I did a path elective earlier this year. The fields are very different and I think you'd (obviously) have to try them both out before you could even start to choose. I took the path elective because I really liked our 2nd year pathology class, had previously been interested in pathology as a career, and basically just needed to fill another month of my schedule. My thoughts:

-Path is much more similar to radiology than anesthesia. Lots of looking at slides and dictating reports. Interactions are mainly with other physicians, not with patients.
    -The amount of information pathology residents have to master is insane. Like yaah said, they end up doing a good deal of their work outside of the hospital because they have so much to read. This may or may not be appealing to you.
    -Business opportunities are there in almost every field if you are savvy.