Just found out I matched after failing step 2 CS!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wellcutcookies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a USMD with slightly above average scores going into IM that matched after failing step 2 CS! I was very cocky and scheduled step 2 cs for 5 days after my step 2 ck. i got a 255 on the ck, but i spent 3 days half-assedly studying for cs and i got punished for it; i marginally failed the ICE. When I found out i failed, i was in disbelief and refreshed the page a few times! then i got my senses together and spent a week constantly checking for openings to retake the exam, all the while i was still on a rotation and trying to find time to prep. i ended up retaking the exam 2 weeks after i found out i failed and i absolutely destroyed it: i don't think it's ever been the same! the first time i took step 2 cs, i was in shock of how fast time was going, and i was running out of time to perform adequate physical exam maneuvers and counseling. i also didn't use the website ahead of time, and i didn't know how to add rows to the diagnosis section!!! major facepalm... i completely disrespected the exam, and i failed. i deserved it. looking back, i would say to take step 2 cs seriously even if you're a confident person (like me lol), and to give time to study and actually do it. i think if i just had a week in between step 2 cs and ck it would have been a done deal, but i was a little burnt out after taking step 2 ck and i didn't even use the few days i had to study. anyway, i matched today!!! for those wondering, i released my failing step 2 cs score as well as my passing score (when i got the passing score, of course). i saw some posts advocating hiding the fact you failed the first time, but my advisor told me to just release both scores, and i trusted her! also i'm otherwise a pretty good residency candidate in my very humble opinion (definitely not over confident, nope, not once in my life)!

good luck to everyone! know that there is always hope. I was getting ready to soap even though there was very little chance as a us md, but it never hurts to be prepared! i even have my SOAP personal statement prepared lol. i guess i won't be needing that!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users