Just found out she has cancer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tryingagain

Soon to have no life
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I just found out my grandma has grade 3 brain cancer. I feel awful. My uncle is a nuclear radiologist and made the diagnosis of his mother's tumor off an MRI. I am getting married next year and also hopefully will also get into med school next year. They are giving her 6 to 12 months. She may not see either event. Not good.

You know the worst part of all of this is that something like this does not just effect her. It affects my dad who I care the world about. Hearing him cry makes me cry. Its so hard. Something like this have never happened to me before.

I just think that it too may be a sign that medical school is the right path. Its hard to make good out of bad but I am trying. This has effected me in a way I cannot explain. I wish there was something I could do for my family. Its hard.

Just needed to get it off my chest.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey T.A.,
I'm so, so sorry to hear about your impending loss. I too have lost all my grandparents, including my maternal grandparents who were more like parents to my sister and I. It is one of the most difficult things in the world to watch someone you care about fade away, and the impact it can have on the entire family. My thoughts are with you and your loved ones as you go through this painful time, all you can do is enjoy the time you have left with your grandma and be there for your father. Good luck in dealing with this and with all else in life.

Members don't see this ad :)
here is a virtual hug if you need it (((((hugs))))). Try to take it one day at a time.

Hi Trying... I'm so sorry to hear your dilema... my thoughs are with you and I hope all will be well. You can never predict the future... they told Stephen Hawkins he wasn't going to live much longer when diagnosed and he prooved 'em wrong...
My prayers are with you,

I am so sorry this is happening to you.:( I know how awful it feels to stand by and not be able to do anything.May God give you strength.

Here's a hug from me too! *HUG*

In five years of hospice work, I've always found the hardest thing is dealing with the grief of family members. I'm sure your grandmother will be well cared for and comfortable. If only there was Duragesic (transdermal fentanyl patch) or MS Contin (slow-release morphine) for emotional pain.

On the bright side, if this reaffirms your commitment to medicine, it may be a sign that you're definitely on the right path.

I wish you and your family peace, comfort, and understanding.

Adcadet

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother and I can relate. Two years ago, at the beginning of the application cycle and a few weeks before the MCAT my father passed away. It took me alot of time to recover from it and here I am again applying after taking a whole year off trying to sort things out. Its been difficult and I still have trouble dealing with it to this day but I use it to drive me. Perhaps you may want to think of your Grandmother's illness in the same way.

Incidently my aunt was diagnosed with a glioblastoma last November and has already beaten her doctors expectations. This is the worst form of brain cancer so there is hope.

Originally posted by tryingagain
Hi guys. I just found out my grandma has grade 3 brain cancer. I feel awful. My uncle is a nuclear radiologist and made the diagnosis of his mother's tumor off an MRI. I am getting married next year and also hopefully will also get into med school next year. They are giving her 6 to 12 months. She may not see either event. Not good.

You know the worst part of all of this is that something like this does not just effect her. It affects my dad who I care the world about. Hearing him cry makes me cry. Its so hard. Something like this have never happened to me before.

I just think that it too may be a sign that medical school is the right path. Its hard to make good out of bad but I am trying. This has effected me in a way I cannot explain. I wish there was something I could do for my family. Its hard.

Just needed to get it off my chest.
Hi Trying, I can understand what you are feeling. I found out my g-ma had lung cancer about a year ago. She developed pneumonia, then she got really sick and that's when we found out. I am taking care of her so I can understand how it feels that she won't get to see some of your major events. But you never know, so until then you can only be with her and help her to feel good, and get to know her more.
Since I found out, I got a book and asked her about her childhood,and many thing which I am writing about. Things about her life I never thought to ask her before. What is was like for her growing up and more..It will be a hard road but I will be praying for you all. The experiance has also made me even more sure of my decision to go into medicine and to realize my dream of being a doctor. :) Here is something for you too! ((((hug))))))
If you ever need anyone to talk to just PM me, anytime.

"I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me.
Phillipians 4:13 :)

I've been through the same.

My grandmother was diagnosed with a brain tumor in 99.

She underwent surgery to remove the tumor and passed about a week later.

My prayers are with you.

my most heartfelt condolences to you and your family. that having been said, we should all be so lucky to grow up and live long enough to be grandparents.

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. The hardest thing in the world is watching those you love endure pain. I think Insy's Bible verse is perfect- it's one I always refer to when times are tough. Cherish the time you have with your grandmother. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

I am sooo sorry. And yet.....you have six months (give or take) to say and do all the things to and for your grandmother. Take the time to say "I love you", "I'll miss you", and "what do you think are the most important things I should know about you?" AND don't forget those hugs and perhaps a batch of cookies :)

What you are feeling WILL eventually ease, although the loss is always there. I hesitate to say this...when my son was diagnosed with a rare disorder that bears a poor prognosis I was devistated. It took over two months for the "rubber band" around my chest to ease enough for me to breath normally, and nearly eight months for me to go longer than 30 minutes without fighting back tears. Eventually it did ease (although not dissappear). Depression was a constant companion. Now at two years after diagnosis my perspective has changed. Each morning when I wake my son I smile at the gift God has given me. When I drop him off at school I run my fingers through his hair and whisper to him "I love you SO much" (10 year olds don't like mom saying it in front of their friends so I whisper). When I pick him up I am struck by the brevity of life and the wonderful opportunity we have to love and care for each other for however long God chooses to give us. I see other parents dropping off their children and picking them up with little thought....taking for granted the moments of this day. This day comes but once. It is yours to spend as you will. Don't waste it!!

You have been given an opportunity to really LEARN about your grandma and cherish the moments that God has given. You can love and learn more in six months than many learn or appreciate in a lifetime......as hard as it may be, cherish the moments.

--Cynthia

tryagain,

..I also wanted to add that now that my grandmother is gone it's like she's not gone. I remember all the good times. I have to sit back and laugh sometimes. She was a great person. She kept the family laughing and was really our backbone. Since she passed we don't get together for family gatherings like we did when she was alive. Now, I know why those times meant so much to her.

So my point is enjoy this time that you have with her. Do something special with her. Noone can ever take your memories.

I find joy in remembering her life. I hope this helps.

And remember your pursuit of a medical degree will help your family and many other families. You are definitely doing the right thing. Stay encouraged.

Originally posted by 3-D
I am so sorry to hear about your situation. The hardest thing in the world is watching those you love endure pain. I think Insy's Bible verse is perfect- it's one I always refer to when times are tough. Cherish the time you have with your grandmother. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
It is a good verse to refer to. :)

"I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciate it.