Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Just Getting Started!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by mitzi, Aug 14, 2001.

1. mitzi

mitzi Junior Member

I am a 32-year old wife and mother of two who has decided after 10 years as a paralegal, I would like to be a doctor. I am currently working on obtaining my pre-requisites for applying to osteopathic school and would love any advice anyone has. Unfortunately, I did not have much of a base, so I'm almost starting from scratch. I currently have 36 hours and will be taking 15 hours Fall 2001. Because of my age and family situation, I'm hoping to be admitted with the minimum required 90 hours to help speed up the process. Has anyone had any luck with this? Thanks for any advice you have. :)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Medic171

Medic171 Senior Member

Medical Student
    Finish your bachelor degree. Your chances are slim to none without it unless you have stellar grades and astronomical mcats. Your age is not a good excuse(in my opinion) to not get a degree.

4. mitzi

mitzi Junior Member

Thanks for the reply medic171. I think I already knew that answer, but I was hoping for another.

5. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    See if there is any programs that will allow you to do what you want to do.... Here in Iowa, the have a program called FAME which allows these undergrads to not have to finish their bachelors. The catch is that they have to be primary care and must work in Iowa... I'm not sure about the details, but I'm sure the DMU website has info on it.... A classmate of mines is in it.... check out www.dmu.edu

Hope that helps somewhat....

6. mitzi

mitzi Junior Member

Thanks for the reply Popoy. I'll check out the site and see how FAME works.