Just got accepted to Med school for next fall, what to do now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

godchaser1016

godchaser1016
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,

I just got accepted to medical school after one failed attempt through Early Decision Program. I feel happy and weird at the same time. (I can't believe that I actually got accepted.)

:I have about a year before I start medical school. What do you suggest that I should do during this year?

My plans include going on some short trips, shadowing more doctors, reading more books. Any suggestions about I could do for this period????

Comments are appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys and girls,

I just got accepted to medical school after one failed attempt through Early Decision Program. I feel happy and weird at the same time. (I can't believe that I actually got accepted.)

:I have about a year before I start medical school. What do you suggest that I should do during this year?

My plans include going on some short trips, shadowing more doctors, reading more books. Any suggestions about I could do for this period????

Check out. forget the shadowing, just check out... maybe make some money but 'take off hoser'

Members don't see this ad :)
do whatever the hell you want, you're in, said and done.

make some money if you want to be productive. Doesn't sound fun but you will thank yourself for it in med school. I basically just worked full-time during the 6 months I had between graduating and matriculating.

do some of the things you've talked about doing but have never done, because once med school starts you become much less free to move about. Travel, record an album, go to music festivals, learn a language, play video games, etc.

identify things you love doing in your daily life and appreciate them NOW as much as possible. For me it was just like chillin on a saturday with my friends; grillin out, watching college football, going cliff jumping at the bay, hanging out in my friend's basement/recording studio and JAMMIN all day long. I moved across the country to go to med school, so some of this might not apply, but really the thing I miss most is just being able to throw a party and have all my friends be there.

Grab yourself a beer and relaxercise. You'll have plenty of time to be busy in med school, so might as well just take it easy and do whatever you think is fun until you start. If you've been accepted there is no point in "padding your application" anymore, so spend your free time however you want

Make money.

Yeah...make money.

Reactions: 1 user
TRAVEL.

I let excuses stand in my way during my year off- mainly financial limitations- but knowing what I know now, I would find a way. I would work abroad.... go see Europe finally and have as much fun as possible!

:hardy::hardy::hardy::hardy:

I was an ED kid too, got in September 6. Enjoy your year. Its all going to change. BE a normal college kid and do all the activites that you missed out on for all your years of hard work.

break up with your significant other
get/give pregnant
take up crack
put on 50 lbs.

yeah, that sounds like that should set you up for the year nicely.

OP, Congratulations. You must be feeling pretty good right now. You have an entire stress-free year ahead of you. Whatever you choose to do, it should be something, when reported to friends, family, and future classmates, that will ellicit the response of, "Wow! I wish I could have done that."

Members don't see this ad :)
Alcohol should be your best friend for the next year.

Coming from someone who was in the same position you're in, but last year, here's my list of top 5 things you should (and shouldn't) do before before starting school:

5. Don't work. Going to medical school is like a full time job, if not more. Residency is like slave labor. You won't have anything that even remotely resembles a social life outside of the school/hospital for the next 10 years. Enjoy the freedom while you can.

4. Do anything you've ever dreamed of doing but couldn't before due to prior obligations, such as getting into medical school. This one is pretty self-explanatory. I surfed and went to raves.

3. Try to have as many nights you don't remember as often as you can. Use alcohol, drugs, or whatever your poison is. These nights will be much fewer and farther between as you start school and progress through it.

2. Hang out with your friends and family as much as possible. You'll probably never see them again (be it lack of time or them resenting you due to neglect).

1. Sleep with as many women (or men) as possible. You'll have no time to kick game while in medical school. I've only been in classes for 3 weeks and I am already considering calling a hooker... or heading to the undergrad library (I don't know which one is worse).

Last edited:
godchaser,

As a fellow future classmate... GO MERCER WHOOHOOO. :)

I will be contacting one of my interviewers about doing research with him while I finish up my undergrad degree. Just a thought.

Reactions: 1 user
Imagine you only have one year left to live. What would you want to do with that time? Now go do those things.

Here's a novel idea...

RELAX.

If you study, you will regret it the first week of medical school, guaranteed.

Noskill speaks words of wisdom. Don't bother making any money because you'll be mercilessly in debt at the end of school no matter what. Just have fun.

Here's a novel idea...

RELAX.

If you study, you will regret it the first week of medical school, guaranteed.

i sure did regret it....there is no advantage in studying before medical school starts whatsoever

Make money!!!

go to europe

Hey guys and girls,

Don't do a damn thing. Just sit around and do nothing.

Hey guys and girls,

Have the best fun you can ever had in your life!

I've only been at it for almost a month, but it seems to me like a lot of interesting students are people who've gone to do fascinating non-medical stuff. Bring something new to the table. Take a cooking class or something, then everyone will want to be your roommate.

I've only been at it for almost a month, but it seems to me like a lot of interesting students are people who've gone to do fascinating non-medical stuff. Bring something new to the table. Take a cooking class or something, then everyone will want to be your roommate.

Girls will dig you, if you can bone the best :thumbup: