Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Just got an interview invite for my top choice DO school. Need some advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by doctorlove3232, Aug 6, 2015.

1. doctorlove3232

Pre-Medical
    So I have an interview for this school later this month. It's the only DO school in my state and my chances are good there. I have their avg matriculant gpa and my mcat is 4 points higher than their avg mcat score. My mat score is also very balanced. They said that they will reach a decision within a month of the interview. So is it worth it to complete my other DO secondaries and pay all of those fees if I might get into this school within the next couple of weeks? I have about 20 other DO schools and would rather save the $2000 and not pay those secondary fees. Should I wait until I get rejected or waitlisted from this school before I submit those other DO applications? Should I just fill out the other DO applications and not pay and submit until I hear the final decision? any help is greatly appreciated

2. doapplicant2015

2+ Year Member

Keep filling those apps out and sending in your secondaries. If you have solid stats start being more picky and get some others in early.

It sounds like your decision is about 2 months away which puts you around October which starts getting late in the cycle. I wouldn't send in 20 more secondaries at this point but you should have around 10 schools complete to give yourself a decent shot. Just assume your odds of acceptance at 50% after an interview and don't shoot yourself in the foot if you don't have to

3. mw18

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would keep applying. You could fall in love with one of those other schools, or find that you really don't like your top choice school as much as you thought. Can't hurt to have options.

GUH and schlitter22 like this.
  4. NonTrad16

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'd complete applications for a handful of other choice schools, assuming there's a ranking beyond 'Top-1' and 'Rest'. If you have above average stats (overall) you may not need the 20 apps, but hanging it all on one seems unwise. I have an avg GPA and an MCAT 2 to 5 points above the matriculant average for the four schools I'm applying to (also have a handful of MD schools... geographically limited in my choices).

Similarly, I have a 'golden' school (based on factors unrelated to medical schools, but the surrounding opportunities for my SO), but I'm shelling out >$2k to make sure I don't end up applying another year. In the long run, $500 to increase your odds (dramatically) seems like a wise decision.

Also, you don't know what to expect from the other schools... You may be pleasantly surprised.

5. MightBeACylon439

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    "My chances are good," is not the same as having an acceptance in hand. You will keep on applying normally (yes, you will have to spend that money, sorry) until you have an acceptance in hand. You don't know how you will interview, you don't know how you will end up liking the other schools.

"but its expens.."

You will keep on applying normally until you have an acceptance in hand.

"But my GPA and MC..."

You will keep on applying normally until you have an acceptance in hand. Do I need to repeat myself again?

GUH likes this.
  6. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    It would be foolish to place all your bets on one school.

7. becomingdoctor

Pre-Medical
    Similar situation but I filled out >10 schools, so far 4 ii. You should do more, at least 5 more I would like to say. It costs you no more than 400 dollars, but can make your life much easier at some point. If you don't like writing essays (like me), you gotta push yourself a little bit harder. You will never regret the effort and money you spend on your applicstion, just like you will not find your extra four points on MCAT wasteful.

8. costales

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Interview is a necessary but not sufficient condition for acceptance. Don't shortchange yourself with assumptions.

Harker Heights likes this.
  9. Gandyy

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Better to be safe than sorry. I'm applying to 41 schools both MD and DO.

I am not interested in going through this process again.