Just got back MCAT and need opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

specialmix12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help with my school list. I have applied and filled out secondaries for a lot of these schools but I am wondering if I should add more even though it is getting late in the cycle.

Stats:
cGPA 3.75, sGPA 3.8, and MCAT 27 :( but improved to 518

I have about 100 hours of clinical volunteering and 70 hours of shadowing

A lot of research including an HHMI research award, summa cum laude honors, and poster presentations. Publication hopefully this year.

Other types of volunteering: I was a member of a global public health group and was president senior year also have some other various volunteering activities.

School list so far:

Rosalind Franklin
Medical College of Wisconsin
UW Madison
University of Colorado
Thomas Jefferson
Loyola
Wake Forest
Rush
Case Western Reserve
Dartmouth
Duke

Any thoughts would be helpful

Members don't see this ad.

you can probably add some for top-middle tier scores as your mcat is equivalent to a 35-36 and your gpa is relatively solid and your ecs seem fine on the superficial level i can judge from what you've given. although you are relatively late in the cycle so i'm not totally sure how that changes the game

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on the improvement! What state are you from? I would recommend at least 20 schools (maybe some of the low-yield privates, and of course state schools).

Members don't see this ad :)
Dartmouth likes non-trads, so try a different school, like BU.

Is U CO your state school???

Think about Hofstra, Emory, Tulane, U Miami and Keck

I need help with my school list. I have applied and filled out secondaries for a lot of these schools but I am wondering if I should add more even though it is getting late in the cycle.

Stats:
cGPA 3.75, sGPA 3.8, and MCAT 27 :( but improved to 518

I have about 100 hours of clinical volunteering and 70 hours of shadowing

A lot of research including an HHMI research award, summa cum laude honors, and poster presentations. Publication hopefully this year.

Other types of volunteering: I was a member of a global public health group and was president senior year also have some other various volunteering activities.

School list so far:

Rosalind Franklin
Medical College of Wisconsin
UW Madison
University of Colorado
Thomas Jefferson
Loyola
Wake Forest
Rush
Case Western Reserve
Dartmouth
Duke

Any thoughts would be helpful

Dartmouth likes non-trads, so try a different school, like BU.

Is U CO your state school???

Think about Hofstra, Emory, Tulane, U Miami and Keck
Ahhhh I really like Dartmouth and would love to go there.

CU is not my state school, Wisconsin is. I do have some strong ties to CU however.

Thanks for the advice!

Congrats on the improvement! What state are you from? I would recommend at least 20 schools (maybe some of the low-yield privates, and of course state schools).
Thanks! I am very happy with the new score. I am from Wisconsin.

That is the number I have in mind. Is there any particular schools you have in mind?

Unless you lived in CO for a significant amount of time, or you went o college there, you don't have ties. Try U WI instead.

Ahhhh I really like Dartmouth and would love to go there.

CU is not my state school, Wisconsin is. I do have some strong ties to CU however.

Thanks for the advice!

Your list looks ok outside of Dartmouth and Colorado.

I would definitely recommend applying to more than 11 schools unless it is simply financially impossible(in which case you need to focus on lower tiers)
Here are some more schools that might be worth considering adding. Strongly consider all of the schools Goro listed as well

USC
Rochester
Einstein
Oakland
Quinnipac
VCU
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Tufts
Albany
NYMC
Pitt