Just got back my Mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Viggen16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's very highly unlikely but if you've already submitted some secondaries, there is nothing you can do. I wouldn't do anymore and just start practicing for the next MCAT ASAP and apply next year.

The extra year will also give you time to improve on your sGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my scores yesterday for the 8/12/10 exam and I didn't do well myself and I am applying to DO schools as well. I got a 22R and I am planning to retake it in January but I wasn't sure if I should even apply with a 22! I wish I had advice for you but I'm in the same boat. My prehealth adviser said that she wouldn't recommend applying if I had below a 24 on the mcat. But my gpa is lower than yours. (overall: 3.34 and science: 3.0.) If anyone can offer me advice on what to do too...I'd appreciate it!
Good luck on the January mcat!

It's very highly unlikely but if you've already submitted some secondaries, there is nothing you can do. I wouldn't do anymore and just start practicing for the next MCAT ASAP and apply next year.

I am retaking it in January for sure because most DO schools allow January retakes. Since I already have my application processed and and secondaries sumbitted, all i have to do is wait. Still a long shot?

Also is getting accepted in March unheard of? DO schools are pretty lenient on scores, and they look at overall person, not just numbers. I am hoping to get atleast a 25+ on the next attempt. I know where I went wrong, and its that I did not take enough practice tests.

Hi guys, i just got back my mcats yesterday...didn't do too swell...really bad...i got a 17. I was pulling 27, 28's on the practice but i don't know what happened on the actual one. Really thought i did better than expected.

I have already submitted my primaries, and most of my secondaries. I applied to a 15 DO schools total, and turned in 10 secondaries so far. I graduating with a bachelors in Molecular Biology/Microbiology, and have done plenty of shadowing with an MD and a DO. I have a decent overall GPA 3.6 and science GPA of 3.2. I went through the pre-professional committee to send out my LOR's and got a committee letter. I am planning on re-taking it again January and still applying for 2011 year. My question is, with the score I have now, are interview even possible? I know acceptance is far-fetched.
As long as the DO schools know your planned retake date, they are likely to hold the entire application for consideration until after the new score comes back.

I assume since you said "primaries" that you also submitted to AMCAS. Since only one of their schools will consider a January MCAT retake, you might as well withdraw from those schools. If you are not yet verified and you withdraw, you can get all but $160 back.

As long as the DO schools know your planned retake date, they are likely to hold the entire application for consideration until after the new score comes back.

I assume since you said "primaries" that you also submitted to AMCAS. Since only one of their schools will consider a January MCAT retake, you might as well withdraw from those schools. If you are not yet verified and you withdraw, you can get all but $160 back.

I only did DO which is AACOMAS....and most DO's allow January retake. And I have already sent in most of secondaries.

Are interviews possible with the current score?

sorry to be so blunt but if I were you I would want honesty rather than a feel good answer, so here it is: You have a zero chance of getting accepted with that mcat score as it is below the cutoff point of of D.O. schools! retake you test in Jan (let the schools know you are doing that) and do well and you will have shot!

I see no chance of you getting an interview at all. Anything around 8 and above on each part of the MCAT is a safe bet. DO schools are still competitive and there well be alot of people with scores higher than 24 applying.