Just got first semester grades back .. am I already doomed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BostonB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was an English major undergrad (graduated with a very mediocre 3.5 GPA) and am now starting the path toward med school. I just finished my first semesters of introductory bio and chem in an informal post-bac program and just got back grades of a B and B+ respectively. I think I had a bit of a shock initially, because I work full time.

Anyway, have these grades doomed me already? When I first started down this road I got into a formal postbac program, but they wanted me to work for a year first (which I'm in the process of doing ... I did an internship at a surgery clinic, and am now full-time in research) so I suppose I still have the option of starting over there in May if these grades are really going to screw me over.

What should I do? :( Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I was a history and English major undergrad (graduated with a very mediocre 3.5 GPA), went the law route, hated it, and am now starting the path toward med school. I just finished my first semesters of introductory bio and chem in an informal post-bac program and just got back grades of a B and B+ respectively. I think I had a bit of a shock initially, because I work full time and have not taken a science class since I was a junior or senior in high school (I got out of doing it in college w/ AP credits; I am now 25).

Anyway, have these grades doomed me already? When I first started down this road I got into a formal postbac program, but they wanted me to work for a year first (which I'm in the process of doing ... I did an internship at a surgery clinic, and am now full-time in research) so I suppose I still have the option of starting over there in May if these grades are really going to screw me over.

You are fine with an overall 3.5 GPA (that is not mediocre), sure you are competing with kids with higher GPAs but also with those with lower GPAs. Take some care with the science classes, you want to make sure you are not only learning the material (for the MCAT) but Ace'ing the classes as well. Get some help and slow down until you get the hang of it, then ramp back up. So, yes, I'm suggesting cutting back to even 1 science class with tutoring if that is what it takes, with your full time job.

The formal postbac accepted you but wanted you to work for a year first? I'm not very familiar with postbac admission processes but is that normal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice Peanut Guy ... I know you're right. Sometimes it's hard to slow my roll when I'm so eager to get to the application stage.

And MedPhys2 ... I don't know how common it is, but the program director said they really liked my application, and the only flaw was my lack of medical experience. They said I could join the program the following year without re-applying if I got more of it on my resume, because I wouldn't have time to really work and volunteer once the program started (it's a 1 year program).

Its scary how similar to me you are. I am in pretty much the exact same situation(humanities 3.6 gpa, law route, informal post-bacc B and B+ first semester). We just have to do better in the rest of our classes and we will be fine.

You are by no means doomed. Right now I think the thing you might have to focus the most on are your study habits. Since its been a long time since you've taken science classes, make sure you're tackling them correctly. Search around this site for helpful information in that regard. And good luck!

Well given your other post indicating you're at Harvard Extension...I don't think these grades doom you. Presumably you have at least another three full semesters to go there before applying, right? As long as you take the lessons you've learned transitioning back to taking science classes and get an upward trend, I think you'll be fine. Ever take a headcount on the number of people who signed up for Chem E1a and Phys E1a who don't make it to the final? It's a LOT. You've got a good start so far.

Chill, it's only one semester. Let's see where you are after a year. You're fine for any DO program, MD will need you to crank it up a bit more. So let's ace the next semester.

So I was a history and English major undergrad (graduated with a very mediocre 3.5 GPA), went the law route, hated it, and am now starting the path toward med school. I just finished my first semesters of introductory bio and chem in an informal post-bac program and just got back grades of a B and B+ respectively. I think I had a bit of a shock initially, because I work full time and have not taken a science class since I was a junior or senior in high school (I got out of doing it in college w/ AP credits; I am now 25).