Just got MCAT scores back, chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhiteCoatSyndrome

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any chances for an average white guy with a 3.96cum and 30O MCAT at any MD school other than my state school (IN). I can detail the rest of my potential application if needed. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone with a 3.96cum, how come your MCAT is (only) 30? That score may require a bit of an explanation. Med School, after all, includes lots of tests, exams, and more tests. Adcoms want to be sure you can handle that kind of rigor. As it is, it MAY seem that professors "gave" you high grades, or that you go to a really small school, where grades include things like participation or attendence, and you always showed up. I would have predicted that with a 3.96cum, your MCAT would be more like 35-38.

A 30 is a good score, like 80th percentile of all test takers.

His undergrad may of been easier, but I don't think he'll need to explain his score, its solid.

Yeah, 10s across the board. I'm guessing I'm gonna have to apply really broadly in order to have much of a chance though, correct? I'm open to DO schools too
We're talking a June 2013 application, right? If so, then applying to the usual number of schools (14 is the average) in your zone should be fine, especially if you'llbe including some DO schools on the list.

We're talking a June 2013 application, right? If so, then applying to the usual number of schools (14 is the average) in your zone should be fine, especially if you'llbe including some DO schools on the list.

Correct. Would you mind elaborating on what you mean by 'zone'?

Also, for what it's worth I am a bit disappointed in the score. I was in the 36-39 range on aamc exams and was really shocked to see I scored so low. At the same time I really, really don't want to retake unless completely necessary. I would think that my score would still be sufficient assuming I'm not trying to go top 25.

Also, for what it's worth I am a bit disappointed in the score. I was in the 36-39 range on aamc exams and was really shocked to see I scored so low. At the same time I really, really don't want to retake unless completely necessary. I would think that my score would still be sufficient assuming I'm not trying to go top 25.

It is indeed sufficient. You'll get in. Even if you don't, reapply next season and apply DO and you'll be golden.

I'm referring to your Lizzy M score being equal or less than the schools on your list. Are you familiar with this formula for helping decide schools to apply to? You can figure it out for each school individually, or:

Download this google.doc spreadsheet data (an SDN collaborative effort from 6/2011), so you can fill in your own stats (on the “Your Stats” sheet at the very bottom), and it will tell you for which US med schools you’re competitive.

Next look at the sheet's in-state matriculation data before you do further research on each school, removing any from your list that take more than 85% in-state students: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmKVGWwobG5GdEx2MjlBTDE0bXFXNGFZczZqYTZKb2c&hl=en_US#gid=0

And be sure your ECs fit the mission of each school that seems appealing to you.

I'm referring to your Lizzy M score being equal or less than the schools on your list. Are you familiar with this formula for helping decide schools to apply to? You can figure it out for each school individually, or:

Download this google.doc spreadsheet data (an SDN collaborative effort from 6/2011), so you can fill in your own stats (on the “Your Stats” sheet at the very bottom), and it will tell you for which US med schools you’re competitive.

Next look at the sheet's in-state matriculation data before you do further research on each school, removing any from your list that take more than 85% in-state students: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmKVGWwobG5GdEx2MjlBTDE0bXFXNGFZczZqYTZKb2c&hl=en_US#gid=0

And be sure your ECs fit the mission of each school that seems appealing to you.

Hmm, no I'm not familiar with this method. I'll have to see if I can't figure it out, how reliable is it?

Lizzy M Score is [MCAT score + (cGPA X 10)]. It allows you to compare your stats with those of a given school. You can use median acceptee stats from the MSAR (in which case you add +1 to your score) or average matriculant stats from US News, or average matriculant stats from school websites (neither of which gets a correction factor), which the above spreadsheet used.

It is a predictive tool to help decide where you're most likely to get interviews. No, it isn't perfect, as it doesn't take BCPM GPA, ECs, trends, late applications, etc into account. But it's the best we have available to us.

If you haven't applied this cycle, I would retake a 30 if you were scoring 36-39 AAMC, I feel like you could probably just walk in and do better, but its up to you, if you truly don't care about going D.O. or being as limited, then don't retake, but if you do, spend a few weeks brushing up, and retake, you'll prob do muych better, good luck!