just got my 4th C+

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redrabbit

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior biology and just got my fourth C+. I got two C+'s in one quarter b/c I was overloading, another one taking the same professor that gave me my first C+ (embryology). Now, i just got my fourth C+ (at 80%). My gpa is about 3.45 but I am starting to get worry. I really don't want to hold off med school for another year. HELP!! :(

Members don't see this ad.

redrabbit said:
I am a senior biology and just got my fourth C+. I got two C+'s in one quarter b/c I was overloading, another one taking the same professor that gave me my first C+ (embryology). Now, i just got my fourth C+ (at 80%). My gpa is about 3.45 but I am starting to get worry. I really don't want to hold off med school for another year. HELP!! :(

how are your ec's and your mcats?

redrabbit said:

I have a handful of C's of all varieties (+/-) on my transcript. and a smattering of B's. Basically, my retrospective motto is "C is for Chemistry, B is for Bio." I'm not proud of them, but they're there. I'm applyin this cycle and have gotten 3 interviews. Not that I'll get into any of them...that will remain to be seen.

blow those C's out of the water with an awesome MCAT score and you stand a chance. If you're really uncertain, consider doing some post-bacc classes or a 1-year masters and then apply to med school. I might end up doing that if I don't get in this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
The average GPA for accepted med students is 3.5, so 3.45 is fine. However, you should compute your science GPA. You want that close to 3.5 also. If your numbers are lower than 3.5, then you want to get your MCAT above 30 - that number is important! Do your best and see your advisor for advice.

redrabbit said:

These posts are so annoying. How can we help? Here: Don't get C's. Does that help? May as well not get any B's or even A-'s either. I'm not trying to be mean, but everything will turn out ok, so just relax ad do the best you can! If you have to hold off med school to improve your stats then that's what you gotta do...

gary5 said:
The average GPA for accepted med students is 3.5, so 3.45 is fine. However, you should compute your science GPA. You want that close to 3.5 also. If your numbers are lower than 3.5, then you want to get your MCAT above 30 - that number is important! Do your best and see your advisor for advice.

I have a 3.4 ish science GPA, not too great. For the MCAT, I am pretty confident that i will get above a 30. GOing to study A LOT!! I think i will have excellent LOR's. (a professor actually said that i am one of her favorite students, but that was when he wanted me to take his class).
As far a EC, I have 40 hours of shadowing, volunteering at the hospital, president/founder of a student club, two quarters of research. I also TA and tutor. I am going to volunteer abroad right after submitting my primary apps in june

Nothing you can do about it now. Just lower your shoulder and keep plowing forward.

you're allrite...go into your last quarter strong and you'll be fine

Did you say that you got a C with 80%? :[

is there anyway you could retake the classes you got a C+ in?

redrabbit said:
a professor actually said that i am one of her favorite students, but that was when he wanted me to take his class).

How did she turn into a he? j/k ;)

my school won't tell students re-take classes unless they get a D. All these classes were also UD.

Telemachus said:
Nothing you can do about it now. Just lower your shoulder and keep plowing forward.

Telemachus I don't think anyone here on these forums appreciate your snide comments. In fact, I haven't seen a single post from that has been beneficial to the thread so far. All I've seen you do is criticize people negatively, so I think I speak for all of us to STFU

Stfu.jpg

Have a nice day :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hermit MMood said:
Telemachus I don't think anyone here on these forums appreciate your snide comments. In fact, I haven't seen a single post from that has been beneficial to the thread so far. All I've seen you do is criticize people negatively, so I think I speak for all of us to STFU

Hmm, I didn't see that as a negative comment. Actually, he does say that the OP should just keep going with his journey to med school.

Science GPA is important. I guess calculate your sci gpa and if that's at or above your cum gpa, then don't retake (if that's even an option for you).

mintendo said:
Hmm, I didn't see that as a negative comment. Actually, he does say that the OP should just keep going with his journey to med school.

Science GPA is important. I guess calculate your sci gpa and if that's at or above your cum gpa, then don't retake (if that's even an option for you).

i agree, that wasn't a negative comment. it's true, there's nothing you can do now. To make you feel better, my science GPA is a 3.1, I have 4 C/C+s and I got into Vanderbilt 2 weeks ago and I've gotten interviews a some other top schools. All is not lost!! Besides, you have a lot of stuff going for you, you don't need a 4.0 to get into medical school. RELAX! :D

redrabbit said:

how is it that this kid posts about getting Cs and you guys think its real, but when i post, you think its fake?

Zoom-Zoom said:
These posts are so annoying. How can we help? Here: Don't get C's. Does that help? May as well not get any B's or even A-'s either. I'm not trying to be mean, but everything will turn out ok, so just relax ad do the best you can! If you have to hold off med school to improve your stats then that's what you gotta do...

You know, I sympathize with your pissiness regarding these threads. They really are for comfort more than for information. But is that so bad? This is a stressful, scary process, and most of us like to hear, from time to time, "It's going to be OK."

Be tolerent. It might be you freaking out one of these days.

Hermit MMood said:

Stfu.jpg

I second that.

I remember Telemachus was calling people *****s in a previous thread simply because their opinions differ. Pretty pathetic :(

thank you all those that have posted. One of the pervious poster was right, maybe I am looking for comfort. It is just really scary hearing ppl with great stats not getting interviews and others that are getting rejected. I was never so scared. It might be because I finally decided that I am sure I want to go to med school.

rsfarrell said:
You know, I sympathize with your pissiness regarding these threads. They really are for comfort more than for information. But is that so bad? This is a stressful, scary process, and most of us like to hear, from time to time, "It's going to be OK."

Be tolerent. It might be you freaking out one of these days.

If you read my post you would have seen that I did say, "everything will turn out ok, so just relax and do the best you can." I've had some pretty crappy grades too, so I can definitely relate to the OP. However, my post was an honest and appropriate response to the question, since there is really nothing we can do and nothing the OP can do to "help". So if all you want is to hear "cheer up", why not just ask for it?

gary5 said:

I know this sounds nitpicky, but it is relevant to the topic. The latest numbers I've seen is that the average accepted medical school applicant was at a 3.6 or even above. I don't want to cause any discouragement to the OP, but 3.45 really is on the lower end of accepted applicants. You can definitely still get in though. You just need to be that much better on the rest of your application. Study hard for the MCAT and get a 32+, make sure you do lots of physician shadowing and get relevant clinical experience. If you really want to do something, you can. Just don't give up!

Weebs

Dr. Weebs said:
I know this sounds nitpicky, but it is relevant to the topic. The latest numbers I've seen is that the average accepted medical school applicant was at a 3.6 or even above. I don't want to cause any discouragement to the OP, but 3.45 really is on the lower end of accepted applicants. You can definitely still get in though. You just need to be that much better on the rest of your application. Study hard for the MCAT and get a 32+, make sure you do lots of physician shadowing and get relevant clinical experience. If you really want to do something, you can. Just don't give up!

Weebs
is it really 3.6? Are the averages going up?

redrabbit said:

How is a 80% not a B- at least?

MEG@COOL said:
How is a 80% not a B- at least?

you need to ask my professor on that? I aske, she said... that is what your grade came out to be!!

mintendo said:

UHHHHHHHHHH

I don't think hermit really cares what telemachus said. He's just messing around and wanted to be funny.

HERMIT FEEL MY CERVIX, YOU RULE!

Stop being a bunch of stiffs.

Dr. Weebs said:
Study hard for the MCAT and get a 32+

If it were that easy, the whole world would be in med school right now. :rolleyes:
Someone who gets C range grades is less statistically likely to get a 32+. If the OP can, that's great, but simply studying hard won't necessarilly make it so.

Law2Doc said:
If it were that easy, the whole world would be in med school right now. :rolleyes:
Someone who gets C range grades is less statistically likely to get a 32+. If the OP can, that's great, but simply studying hard won't necessarilly make it so.
:(

redrabbit said:

Sounds like you got a problem strategizing your semesters. Well, for beginners overloading is not a good method to up your GPA. If you can, space the bio courses out and sprinkle in some other non-sci classes. For the profs, shop around before the semester begins for a good prof you will be happy with. Its your money, its your choice. If you have no choice, lighten up the load and plough through it with the hard prof. No class is impossible. Don't be afraid to tinker around when it comes to picking classes. The degree schedules are sometimes impossible to follow and get a high GPA.

yea, but it is too late now. I go to a really same school. Each professor has their own class (biochem is always taught by the same professor) and classes are only offered once/year (at the most). I know I have to work really hard for the MCAT. I am going to spend all my time with that.
At this point and hearing stuff for SDN, I don't care where I go to med school. I just want to get in somewhere. I want to get an MD, but maybe DO since my grades are so low.