Just Got My Assignment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The White Coat Investor

Practicing Doc and Blogger
Partner Organization
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm told by my assignment officer that I'm headed to Langley Air Force Base. Can anyone tell me about the facilities and specialties at the base? I understand there used to be an Emergency Department there. What are people doing currently for emergency care in the TideWater area? Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Desperado said:
I'm told by my assignment officer that I'm headed to Langley Air Force Base. Can anyone tell me about the facilities and specialties at the base? I understand there used to be an Emergency Department there. What are people doing currently for emergency care in the TideWater area? Any help would be appreciated.

Was that the last place on your list or the one that didn't have an emergency room? :smuggrin:

Langley Air Force Base is just across the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel from Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Portsmouth. I know a lot of my navy patients go there for prescriptions, ortho care, ob, etc if they live in Newport News or Hampton. There is a civilian hospital, Riverside, with a very nice ED facility in Newport News. On the other side of the tunnel are many civilian hospitals in all the cities. For military, Naval Medical Center Portsmouth is a large hospital with all the specialties. It's not a bad area to live in, with lots of beaches, activities, etc. There are worse places to end up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you check out the Langley website? http://www.langley.af.mil/tour/medical_service.shtml
Talks about a lot of medical services on base, but ER isn't mentioned. The site also says, "services not available at Langley are available at other military or civilian facilities." I know that is not much help, but a number for the Emergency Department Manager (757-764-8500) is also provided. I would try contacting someone at that number for more info.

I didn't know Langley was an option for an ER doc- do you have any info on why they selected you for that assignment?

As another poster has pointed out, Langley is the one without the ED. Of course, the last one on my list, Keesler, doesn't have an ED right now either since the hurricane leveled the whole hospital. But I was told it is going to try to open this fall. Nevertheless, I figured a bum job in Virginia Beach is better than a bum job AND a bum life in Mississippi (no offense to those who like it there, but I cannot imagine any area outside of the middle east I would like to be in less.)

I saw that Langley Website. I intend to call the emergency department manager to get more info. I'm not sure if any other doctors are being sent there or if I'm the only one. I guess I'll find out soon. I got my paperwork yesterday, so it sounds like the assignment is "official."