pills_r_good

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2006
Colorado Springs
Status
Pharmacy Student
Here's the deal, I just graduated this past May with a B.S. in biology, 3.1 gpa overall, pre-pharm is slightly higher. I had a pharmacy school interview back in April, and ended up on their alternate list...it's likely that I won't get in this time around. Should I go back to the college where I got my bachelor's and retake the 4 pre-pharm classes I got C's in? (Calc, Gen Chem I, Botany, & Microbiology). A's in all of them would raise my prepharm to around 3.4. Is it worth it? Or should I just apply again to double the amount of schools, work full-time, save my money, and focus on polishing my community service stats?

p.s. My pcat is an 89 composite. What makes my decision tough is that the school I had my interview at was the only school of the 5 that I applied to that received that 89 before the application deadline. The other 4 did not, so they only made their decision based on my 73 composite before that. This application cycle, all schools will receive my 89. Is it necessary/worth it to go through another grueling semester?

Advice PLEASE!

tdkneo

The Future Dr.Nguyen
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
pills_r_good said:
Here's the deal, I just graduated this past May with a B.S. in biology, 3.1 gpa overall, pre-pharm is slightly higher. I had a pharmacy school interview back in April, and ended up on their alternate list...it's likely that I won't get in this time around. Should I go back to the college where I got my bachelor's and retake the 4 pre-pharm classes I got C's in? (Calc, Gen Chem I, Botany, & Microbiology). A's in all of them would raise my prepharm to around 3.4. Is it worth it? Or should I just apply again to double the amount of schools, work full-time, save my money, and focus on polishing my community service stats?

p.s. My pcat is an 89 composite. What makes my decision tough is that the school I had my interview at was the only school of the 5 that I applied to that received that 89 before the application deadline. The other 4 did not, so they only made their decision based on my 73 composite before that. This application cycle, all schools will receive my 89. Is it necessary/worth it to go through another grueling semester?

Advice PLEASE!
wow, from a 3.1 to a 3.4 with just 4 classes??? well, if i were you i would definitely go for it if it means raising my gpa by 0.3.......that's amazing.......go for it.......

OP
pills_r_good

pills_r_good

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2006
Colorado Springs
Status
Pharmacy Student
tdkneo said:
wow, from a 3.1 to a 3.4 with just 4 classes??? well, if i were you i would definitely go for it if it means raising my gpa by 0.3.......that's amazing.......go for it.......
Yeah, that's if I get A's in all of them. It's only 4 classes, but it's 15 credit hours worth. And for retakes you add points without adding the number of credit hours taken. That's why the increase would be so drastic.

About the Ads

tdkneo

The Future Dr.Nguyen
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
pills_r_good said:
Yeah, that's if I get A's in all of them. It's only 4 classes, but it's 15 credit hours worth. And for retakes you add points without adding the number of credit hours taken. That's why the increase would be so drastic.

uhmmm, then i should really consider retaking some of my classes..... :D

aboveliquidice

No sacrifice - No victory
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
San Antonio, TX
Status
Pharmacist
pills_r_good said:
are you sure that's how it works??? I think your scores get averaged together first... So its not exactly more points...

if you get a C in calc 1, thats:

2.0 * 4 credit hours = 8 points GPA is 2.0

if you take it again and get a B

(2.0 + 3.0) / 2 attempts = 2.5

2.5 * 4 credit hours = 10 points GPA is 2.5

Is this the method that you are referring to? Sorry If I was mistaken. There are only about 11 classes for your PrePharm GPA - so 4 classes could really change a lot.

~above~

ADN1226

Class of 2012!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 21, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Could you juggle both? Like work part time and take the classes full time.... or just take a few classes not all - if you can't handle it. I think its a good idea to retake the classes. Adcoms will see that you're dedicated in getting into pharmacy.

Mangosteen

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
I think your latter option is more feasible. There is hope of getting in with a 3.1 GPA, as reported by several people here on the board. The fact that you obtained a B.S. make you look more favorable to the adcom since many applicants are sophomores or doesn't hold a degree (I was one of those when I applied). Plus being on the alternate list is great too. People change their minds at last minute all the time, like my friend. Your PCAT is good too. I would focus on getting my pharmacy experience either by working or volunteering. By saving your money now means less loans you'll have to take in pharm school. However, if you do plan to retake the classes, I would suggest only retake Microbiology and General chem 1. Botany is irrelevant to pharm school and the math isn't too complicated neither.

OP
pills_r_good

pills_r_good

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2006
Colorado Springs
Status
Pharmacy Student
Mangosteen said:
I think your latter option is more feasible. There is hope of getting in with a 3.1 GPA, as reported by several people here on the board. The fact that you obtained a B.S. make you look more favorable to the adcom since many applicants are sophomores or doesn't hold a degree (I was one of those when I applied). Plus being on the alternate list is great too. People change their minds at last minute all the time, like my friend. Your PCAT is good too. I would focus on getting my pharmacy experience either by working or volunteering. By saving your money now means less loans you'll have to take in pharm school. However, if you do plan to retake the classes, I would suggest only retake Microbiology and General chem 1. Botany is irrelevant to pharm school and the math isn't too complicated neither.
Very good advice. Thanks. I would just hate to not get in again and waste another year, knowing that I could've raised my gpa more. I would have to take 12 credit hours in order to get a grant though, so I have to take that into consideration. And calc is a biotch. It would be hard to improve. As far as having a degree, I think a 3.5 or over sophomore would be favored above me...I could be wrong.

OP
pills_r_good

pills_r_good

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2006
Colorado Springs
Status
Pharmacy Student
ADN1226 said:
Could you juggle both? Like work part time and take the classes full time.... or just take a few classes not all - if you can't handle it. I think its a good idea to retake the classes. Adcoms will see that you're dedicated in getting into pharmacy.
I would work part time if I went back. I've done that all through college. Yeah I agree, I think that even if I got B's in all retakes it would show some dedication.

OP
pills_r_good

pills_r_good

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2006
Colorado Springs
Status
Pharmacy Student
aboveliquidice said:
are you sure that's how it works??? I think your scores get averaged together first... So its not exactly more points...

if you get a C in calc 1, thats:

2.0 * 4 credit hours = 8 points GPA is 2.0

if you take it again and get a B

(2.0 + 3.0) / 2 attempts = 2.5

2.5 * 4 credit hours = 10 points GPA is 2.5

Is this the method that you are referring to? Sorry If I was mistaken. There are only about 11 classes for your PrePharm GPA - so 4 classes could really change a lot.

~above~
Oh, I was just referring to how my transcript would look. On my transcript, the lower classes wouldn't factor into my overall gpa, although they would still be present in parenthesis....that's how the forgiveness policy works @ my school. But I think you're right, some pharmacy schools compute all of your grades into your prepharm gpa even though they don't count on your transcript. Something for me to consider. I'm going to call around and find out for sure.

AnnaLIU2010

10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
NO dont retake classes, it will just show you were not serious about taking them the first time. Take harder ones and do better at them instead. ;)

ADN1226

Class of 2012!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 21, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
AnnaLIU2010 said:
NO dont retake classes, it will just show you were not serious about taking them the first time. Take harder ones and do better at them instead. ;)

Taking harder classes will show that you know advance stuff BUT... some schools focuse a lot on pre-pharm gpas so I think retaking some classes would be good to boost it up.

PharmacistApril

Pre-Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
Rochester, NY
www.myspace.com
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
pills_r_good said:

Advice PLEASE!

I work with alot a kids at my pharmacy who were having the same trouble. The only problem with re-taking classes is that some pharmacy schools don't like to see that you re-took a class. They like for you to do well the first time around. Not to scare you, but to be on the safe side just talk to a admissions director at the colleges you want to apply to.

OP
pills_r_good

pills_r_good

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2006
Colorado Springs
Status
Pharmacy Student
PharmacistApril said:
I work with alot a kids at my pharmacy who were having the same trouble. The only problem with re-taking classes is that some pharmacy schools don't like to see that you re-took a class. They like for you to do well the first time around. Not to scare you, but to be on the safe side just talk to a admissions director at the colleges you want to apply to.
But isn't it better for a school to see that I retook a class and aced it, in comparison to seeing that I got a C and was content with that?

senzabee

10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
You should retake it. Of course schools want you to do good in the course the first time around, but you obviously can't help the grade you got already. If you really improve on it and report the grade in the fall update, it might help you. Other than the money it will cost, I don't see any downfall to trying to improve your grade. I mean, schools say they look for improvement, and if not for them do it for the good of learning *cough* :D But I don't know how helpful it would be if you're planning on applying now and taking the courses in the fall, because the schools won't see your scores until late December...but they might like other parts of your application and see that you're retaking the classes and put your application on hold to see your grades! Not sure, but you never know :)

PharmacistApril

Pre-Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
Rochester, NY
www.myspace.com
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
pills_r_good said:
But isn't it better for a school to see that I retook a class and aced it, in comparison to seeing that I got a C and was content with that?
Definitely, it looks better! I was just sharing info that I learned from other technicians I know that had similar situations. I was just saying that for some schools especially if you are applying early assurance don’t like to see repeat classes but if you plan on acing the class you are GOLDEN!!! But I think you have a real solid application because of the simple fact alone that you have bachelors, not even including other experience you may already have.

About the Ads