ucfknight407

5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I had a 35N on my MCAT and a 3.3 gpa (I know it sucks). I imagine I got knocked off heavily for my lack of experience outside of school in areas such as shadowing, volunteering, and research. My parents are both doctors so its not like I have not been around the medical field personally all my life. I have even sat in on medical school classes. I got rejected from every school I applied too, even the special masters program. I did not think I was that horrible of an applicant, especially with my MCAT score. This late in the game. What do I do now? Im about to graduate in the next two weeks with no where to go.

Welker

7+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
maybe try to look for a research position?
or look for a hospital job like ER tech or something..
and, is there still time to apply for post-bacc programs?
but definitely do some volunteering at hospitals and shadowing.

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
Take a gap year and work part-time in a clinical setting and take classes part-time to get that GPA to a respectable value (>3.5).

Then do a search for the last person who asked this question a couple of hours before you posted so you can get a few other responses.

cliffhuxtableDO

Hand sanitizer on deck
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
ethanol therapy while you gear up for the next cycle. cheers!

ucfknight407

5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
maybe try to look for a research position?
or look for a hospital job like ER tech or something..
and, is there still time to apply for post-bacc programs?
but definitely do some volunteering at hospitals and shadowing.
well Im at UCF. The medical school is brand new and thus they have no post-bacc programs yet. I would have to check the surrounding schools but my advisors had told me they were not for me since my gpa was not my only problem.

cliffhuxtableDO

Hand sanitizer on deck
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
your gpa is your problem.

flip26

10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2007
Status
Medical Student
how am I a troll or maybe you're just an a-hole. I stated my problem. you can either give advice or go to another thread.
Your parents are doctors, yet you did not know that you needed to do volunteer stuff, ECs, shadowing, and maybe research?

I don't believe it. Nobody is that stupid.

ucfknight407

5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Take a gap year and work part-time in a clinical setting and take classes part-time to get that GPA to a respectable value (>3.5).

Then do a search for the last person who asked this question a couple of hours before you posted so you can get a few other responses.
I was hoping I could stay enrolled in a school during the year but I may have to take this route

ethanol therapy while you gear up for the next cycle. cheers!
started it

your gpa is your problem.
I know but its a little late to fix. Im close to closing out my last 16 hr semester with straight A's

Your parents are doctors, yet you did not know that you needed to do volunteer stuff, ECs, shadowing, and maybe research?

In your effort to come off as condescending you make assumptions and look like a moron because you really have no idea what you are talking about. Were you there listening in on what convo's me and my parents had? if you were please let me know. If not, shut the hell up.

RunningDiva

Hakuna Matata
Jul 29, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
well, first of all congratulations on graduating!! :thumbup:

i think you have options. your road to med school isnt going to be a straight shoot but you may like this more in the end. now you have time to be a non-student young adult and you never get this part of life back.

if this were me, what i would consider doing:

1. getting a part or fulltime job (in a lab, research coordinator, life insurance broker, whatever else suits your fancy). make some $, save for med school apps, travel, and get some real working experience.

2. in the meantime, shore up application weaknesses. find a dr to shadow. volunteer in a hospital, at an animal shelter, homeless shelter, an after school reading program, again whatever suits your fancy.

3. maybe re-take classes that have the lowest grades. prove that you can do the pre-reqs if those are the low grade classes. personally, taking classes with the above commitments shows HUGE dedication and ability to handle a heavy workload.

4. my personal preference is to let the mcat be. its great. just don't let the 3 years go by and expire it like bad cheese.

5. get LOR from professors NOW before you leave the school and they forget you. if your school has a letter service, they can hold them until you need them. otherwise, have the profs write them now while you are still fresh in their mind.

don't get too disappointed, it happens to many! strengthen your app so when you apply next time, there won't be any big reason to reject.

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student

Just to play Devil's advocate here, 25 years ago, premeds didn't *have* to do all of those things. It's very much possible that the OP's parents didn't think to push him/her in those areas, not to mention many parents choose to let their college-age kids do their own thing and learn from their mistakes. Perhaps his/her ignorance was due to a combination of these things? Perhaps s/he even has a poor relationship w/ his/her parents. Obviously s/he wouldn't think s/he has to tell us that, so I wouldn't assume a dr's kid knows "everything" about the process unless s/he has stated how involved his/her parents are in the process currently (or recently).

flip26

10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Just to play Devil's advocate here, 25 years ago, premeds didn't *have* to do all of those things. It's very much possible that the OP's parents didn't think to push him/her in those areas, not to mention many parents choose to let their college-age kids do their own thing and learn from their mistakes. Perhaps his/her ignorance was due to a combination of these things? Perhaps s/he even has a poor relationship w/ his/her parents. Obviously s/he wouldn't think s/he has to tell us that, so I wouldn't assume a dr's kid knows "everything" about the process unless s/he has stated how involved his/her parents are in the process currently (or recently).
Yeah, but...the OP claims to have been around doctors / medicine all his life, and has even sat in on med school classes - pretty hard to believe that someone with this kind of access had no idea about the ECs, research, etc.

ucfknight407

5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
well, first of all congratulations on graduating!! :thumbup:

i think you have options. your road to med school isnt going to be a straight shoot but you may like this more in the end. now you have time to be a non-student young adult and you never get this part of life back.

if this were me, what i would consider doing:

1. getting a part or fulltime job (in a lab, research coordinator, life insurance broker, whatever else suits your fancy). make some $, save for med school apps, travel, and get some real working experience.

2. in the meantime, shore up application weaknesses. find a dr to shadow. volunteer in a hospital, at an animal shelter, homeless shelter, an after school reading program, again whatever suits your fancy.

3. maybe re-take classes that have the lowest grades. prove that you can do the pre-reqs if those are the low grade classes. personally, taking classes with the above commitments shows HUGE dedication and ability to handle a heavy workload.

4. my personal preference is to let the mcat be. its great. just don't let the 3 years go by and expire it like bad cheese.

5. get LOR from professors NOW before you leave the school and they forget you. if your school has a letter service, they can hold them until you need them. otherwise, have the profs write them now while you are still fresh in their mind.

don't get too disappointed, it happens to many! strengthen your app so when you apply next time, there won't be any big reason to reject.
First off thanks for the congrats.

1. Im going to talk to one of my professors in my major and see what availability there are on research and work in the area.

2. I did shadow a doctor for a bit. I still think he is open for me shadowing over the summer but I think I should find a D.O. also so I can apply to D.O. School.

3. I have fixed my grades as much as I could. I generally have had great grades through my college career and I'm finishing off strong. Two semester killed me though. My freshman fall semester where I got caught up with party life and another where I got distracted by a girl. It sucks but it was my fault for being distracted.

4. Thats my goal. It would be horrible to have to study for the MCAT again.

5. I already have two professors agreed to write one for me. Im looking for the last one right. now

Thank you for the advice.

ucfknight407

5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thank you

Yeah, but...the OP claims to have been around doctors / medicine all his life, and has even sat in on med school classes - pretty hard to believe that someone with this kind of access had no idea about the ECs, research, etc.
My parents aren't involved in my school life other than knowing what grades I get. They are on call and busting their butt daily. They believe that I should sleep in the bed I make and leave it up to me and times have changed since they applied. I still cant for the life of me convince my dad that research is important and they are both in shock right now that I got rejected with the MCAT scores I had.

flip26

10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Thank you

My parents aren't involved in my school life other than knowing what grades I get. They are on call and busting their butt daily. They believe that I should sleep in the bed I make and leave it up to me and times have changed since they applied. I still cant for the life of me convince my dad that research is important and they are both in shock right now that I got rejected with the MCAT scores I had.
By access I was referring to your sitting in on med school classes. Most applicants don't have much if any contact with med students during college. So you never asked one of them about the process?

And why would you need to convince your parents that you need to do research if, as you say, they left your life up to you?

Whatever...good luck with all of that.

RunningDiva

Hakuna Matata
Jul 29, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

1. Im going to talk to one of my professors in my major and see what availability there are on research and work in the area.

2. I did shadow a doctor for a bit. I still think he is open for me shadowing over the summer but I think I should find a D.O. also so I can apply to D.O. School.

3. I have fixed my grades as much as I could. I generally have had great grades through my college career and I'm finishing off strong. Two semester killed me though. My freshman fall semester where I got caught up with party life and another where I got distracted by a girl. It sucks but it was my fault for being distracted.

5. I already have two professors agreed to write one for me. Im looking for the last one right. now

you're very welcome. good luck in your application cycle!

anders11

2014!
Mar 30, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, might not be your GPA, tho. The lack of ECs is more likely, but how many interviews did you get out of the schools you applied to?

If you didn't get many interviews, you should seriously consider whether you had a poisonous LOR. I know that there are some (a lot) of professors who will gladly write students letters of rec - and students think, "yay! Dr. Serious is happy to write me a letter!" but that prof will be completely honest with the adcoms in order to shore up their credibility (meaning they'll write something like: "Joe achieved an A in Cell Kinetics, but frequently missed class and still expected to monopolize my office hours. While he would doubtless be an acceptable candidate for medical school, I can think of several more exceptional students from that class alone.") and it kills your app.

Happened to my friend (after 3 cycles, he finally just straight-up asked his letter writers what they said). Just something to think about.

ucfknight407

5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, might not be your GPA, tho. The lack of ECs is more likely, but how many interviews did you get out of the schools you applied to?

If you didn't get many interviews, you should seriously consider whether you had a poisonous LOR. I know that there are some (a lot) of professors who will gladly write students letters of rec - and students think, "yay! Dr. Serious is happy to write me a letter!" but that prof will be completely honest with the adcoms in order to shore up their credibility (meaning they'll write something like: "Joe achieved an A in Cell Kinetics, but frequently missed class and still expected to monopolize my office hours. While he would doubtless be an acceptable candidate for medical school, I can think of several more exceptional students from that class alone.") and it kills your app.

Happened to my friend (after 3 cycles, he finally just straight-up asked his letter writers what they said). Just something to think about.
wow. You're right that definitely is something I should look into. Two of my professors took forever to write them and then submitted them directly without me reading when time ran out.

Edit: I got 0 interviews but didnt get flat out rejected from any school. They held me all the way up until just now and then all their rejection letters came in around the same time

justdoit31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Well the first question is what schools were you applying to? Sometimes if you apply to to many competitve schools you can't get in. Did you apply to state schools and lower tier schools?

Second- next year I would advise you to take more classes to bring up the GPA- even if it isn't a SMP doing some sort of academic load and rocking it looks nice... make sure you get the EC's done too- start now and spend a year doing them... not sure if it would be worth it to apply again this next round- you need to get a good year of EC's and improved grades.

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
wow. You're right that definitely is something I should look into. Two of my professors took forever to write them and then submitted them directly without me reading when time ran out.
You do realize it's standard for students NOT to see the contents of their LORs, right?

If it's not the LORs, I'd put my bet on your ECs. Take a year off and fix them, then apply again.

ucfknight407

5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
so you are guys are saying i should apply for the 2011 class and go for the 2012 instead?

Jul 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

Dude, with those stats you are a shoo-in for DO school. Hit up the DO doctor, get a LOR, and snap your fingers.

Mar 19, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
GO DO!! Or work in the ER 1 year and kill the MCAT next year they couldn't possibly deny you then.

chman

5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Pre-Psychology
What homer simpson says without the h. Do it.

IH8ColdWeath3r

7+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]

^^ ****!!!!. Can't we just enjoy out college days before they pass us by while were all caught up in this laundry list of things to do for these pre-med adcoms. It doesn't help that were competing with these gunners that have absolutely NO LIFE outside of there studies (i feel bad for them bc there gonna look back on this too) but jeez!! This man can't even enjoy the company of his gf....We need to revolt against the adcoms!!!!:mad::mad::thumbup:

ucfknight407

5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Dude, with those stats you are a shoo-in for DO school. Hit up the DO doctor, get a LOR, and snap your fingers.
GO DO!! Or work in the ER 1 year and kill the MCAT next year they couldn't possibly deny you then.
What homer simpson says without the h. Do it.
Guess I should definitely apply to a D.O. school lol. My mom is an almuni at one nearby too. I was stupid not to apply this time but I had never shadowed a D.O.

ucfknight407

5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
^^ ****!!!!. Can't we just enjoy out college days before they pass us by while were all caught up in this laundry list of things to do for these pre-med adcoms. It doesn't help that were competing with these gunners that have absolutely NO LIFE outside of there studies (i feel bad for them bc there gonna look back on this too) but jeez!! This man can't even enjoy the company of his gf....We need to revolt against the adcoms!!!!:mad::mad::thumbup:
Trust me. I feel ya man. I feel the whole process is a joke even though I understand they want to see how hard some is willing to work for it but at least I will be able to look back and say I enjoyed college a little...even though I spent most of my nights indoors studying like right now.

rama kandra

Actual Psychiatrist jk
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
this mofo pplied to harvard and didn't get in, yet. Suggestions include applying to lots of schools and between you and me, you took a bullet for a good cause here.

Pedie Packs

Alpha Male
Jul 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Flip, maybe you are the "troll". At the very least condescending and terribly guilty of making assumptions. Chill out BRO.

OP, I know this may be a crushing defeat, but we are here to support as well as lend honest advice. I don't know what exactly your circumstances are (perhaps I should consult our good friend Flip to find out all the details of your situation), but I suggest calling the schools to find out the weakness in your application (beyond GPA).

I believe with a 35/3.3 you would still get into an MD school... if you worked on your extracurix, which you admitted were lacking. So regardless if you do a special masters program or not, get your shadowing, clinical experiences, etc. in line!! In your unplanned extra year off, please work on shoring these up!!! Also, strengthen your app before the next 2 years pass by, in which case your stellar 35 will vanish into thin air. Good luck.

ucfknight407

5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
this mofo pplied to harvard and didn't get in, yet. Suggestions include applying to lots of schools and between you and me, you took a bullet for a good cause here.
Yea im definitely applying to as much schools as possible next go around including D.O. schools
Flip, maybe you are the "troll". At the very least condescending and terribly guilty of making assumptions. Chill out BRO.

OP, I know this may be a crushing defeat, but we are here to support as well as lend honest advice. I don't know what exactly your circumstances are (perhaps I should consult our good friend Flip to find out all the details of your situation), but I suggest calling the schools to find out the weakness in your application (beyond GPA).

I believe with a 35/3.3 you would still get into an MD school... if you worked on your extracurix, which you admitted were lacking. So regardless if you do a special masters program or not, get your shadowing, clinical experiences, etc. in line!! In your unplanned extra year off, please work on shoring these up!!! Also, strengthen your app before the next 2 years pass by, in which case your stellar 35 will vanish into thin air. Good luck.
Lol thanks for the support. I have emailed the specials masters program to find out why I was rejected and I will look into contacting the medical schools. I know I can get the volunteering and shadowing done but I'm really unsure of what to do with my year off. My school seems to have a lot of two years masters that are no good to me. I wish I could stay here as a student but i see no benefit. I guess I could do part-time work in the health field and take non-matriculating courses at worst or find a full-time job. I imagine it would take a lot to work as an EMT.

rama kandra

Actual Psychiatrist jk
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
get a job in a really labor intensive field, or work in some min wage gig. that way you can write 'from walmart to delivering babies: one doctors incredible journey.'

bravofleet4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
i think you're developing a good idea of what you need to do for next cycle. eventually you'll move on.

alibai3ah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Your GPA is low, but is well compensated for with ur MCAT. Your EC's are the major problem, work on those for a year, don't apply this upcoming cycle unless u hvae kept up with more ECs.

Mar 6, 2010
Status
Its not too late to apply for a job that starts in May. Work for a year and reapply this fall with a better app.

Most people apply for jobs in a hospital, but without a medical or nursing degree the best job you can get is a paper pusher, something that has nothing to do with patient care and won't give you any real medical experience to put on your resume.

I went the other route and applied for research jobs. Apply for Research Tech positions at local med schools that do research. A Research Tech pretty much does the same thing you did in Undergraduate Research (I'm assuming you did that or knows someone who did...). So the work is pretty interesting and challenging. Pays like 30k a year by me to.

It's not something you want to do as a career, but its not bad at all to work for a year in research and take evening classes to boost your GPA.
You get biomedical research experience, you get a better GPA, you make $30,000, and you get some powerful PhD's to write letters of recommendation for next year. Not all that bad really :)

premed67783

7+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2010
Status
Medical Student
also, you had a 35N right? Though a 35 is a great score for the MCAT, an N on the writing section is kind of weak. I know people usually consider the writing score to be unimportant, but an N is below the average, which might have made the adcoms question your ability to communicate. Could you also give your individual section scores for the test? Maybe one section was really low.

premed67783

7+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2010
Status
Medical Student
That's a very cruel thing for a professor to do. If they can't write a good letter of recommendation, it's their responsibility to tell the student so, rather than go behind their back and screw over their chances.

ucfknight407

5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i think you're developing a good idea of what you need to do for next cycle. eventually you'll move on.
hopefully its just a big decision between what i can do that UCF school wise and getting a job
Your GPA is low, but is well compensated for with ur MCAT. Your EC's are the major problem, work on those for a year, don't apply this upcoming cycle unless u hvae kept up with more ECs.
So i would still bomb out even if i applied earlier?

Its not too late to apply for a job that starts in May. Work for a year and reapply this fall with a better app.

Most people apply for jobs in a hospital, but without a medical or nursing degree the best job you can get is a paper pusher, something that has nothing to do with patient care and won't give you any real medical experience to put on your resume.

I went the other route and applied for research jobs. Apply for Research Tech positions at local med schools that do research. A Research Tech pretty much does the same thing you did in Undergraduate Research (I'm assuming you did that or knows someone who did...). So the work is pretty interesting and challenging. Pays like 30k a year by me to.

It's not something you want to do as a career, but its not bad at all to work for a year in research and take evening classes to boost your GPA.
You get biomedical research experience, you get a better GPA, you make $30,000, and you get some powerful PhD's to write letters of recommendation for next year. Not all that bad really :)
yea I missed the bullet on research jobs but im going to talk to professors to see what info they know of if they can help

ucfknight407

5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
what were your extracurriculars?
I joined all the pre-med clubs on on-campus, did some minor volunteering from working with kids to feeding the homeless and raising money for children with terminal illnesses, I have done some shadowing and IM sports. Obviously there is not great in there lol. I need to do better.
also, you had a 35N right? Though a 35 is a great score for the MCAT, an N on the writing section is kind of weak. I know people usually consider the writing score to be unimportant, but an N is below the average, which might have made the adcoms question your ability to communicate. Could you also give your individual section scores for the test? Maybe one section was really low.
yea I know i could blew off the writing section. I developed the worst migraine at the beginning of the MCAT and it was miracle I finished because my migraines come with a visual aura that makes me partially blind. I believe I got a 13 in Bio, a 11 in Physical Sciences, and then a 11 in Verbal Reasoning
That's a very cruel thing for a professor to do. If they can't write a good letter of recommendation, it's their responsibility to tell the student so, rather than go behind their back and screw over their chances.
Yea that would be messed up and I dont know what some wrote because I applied in fall and was cut short on time

premed67783

7+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Yea that would be messed up and I dont know what some wrote because I applied in fall and was cut short on time
You applied so late! That's probably one of the biggest reasons you got no acceptances. Applying early in the cycle makes a HUGE difference.

I wouldn't get discouraged if I were you. Focus this year on working/volunteering/building up your EC's and try applying again next year, but EARLY, as in June.

Jan 20, 2010
Status
Hey,

Don't stress yourself out too much. If you are going to apply next year, I would suggest spending your time in between really setting yourself apart from other applicants. Keep in mind that medical schools are looking for more than just a research scientist! Successful physicians are philanthropic, well rounded, and have a wide variety of diverse experience. With this in mind, is there anything you are passionate that you can do to develop yourself professionally? for example a program abroad in which you are engaged in humanitarian efforts, perhaps with a medical focus? Think along those lines. Do not be discouraged. Some people start medical school in their 40s and 50's!

I hope that helps. Just take a deep breath. Realize that your ability to adapt to changes and bumps in the road is a quality that will keep you going throughout life and medical school when you get in next year. Rarely do things go according to plan, so just re-frame and adjust from here... You never know, the experiences you gain this year might be deeply rewarding and fulfilling and give you a greater sense of direction!:oops:

Good luck!!! and Keep us posted

Sasha

Slack3r

Sicker than your average
10+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2008
I had a 35N on my MCAT and a 3.3 gpa (I know it sucks). I imagine I got knocked off heavily for my lack of experience outside of school in areas such as shadowing, volunteering, and research. My parents are both doctors so its not like I have not been around the medical field personally all my life. I have even sat in on medical school classes. I got rejected from every school I applied too, even the special masters program. I did not think I was that horrible of an applicant, especially with my MCAT score. This late in the game. What do I do now? Im about to graduate in the next two weeks with no where to go.
Go to DNP school. You'll be able to practice independently for the same reimbursement as primary care doctors. And you'll be a nurse so you'll be more compassionate for your patients, even better than a doctor!

ucfknight407

5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey,

Don't stress yourself out too much. If you are going to apply next year, I would suggest spending your time in between really setting yourself apart from other applicants. Keep in mind that medical schools are looking for more than just a research scientist! Successful physicians are philanthropic, well rounded, and have a wide variety of diverse experience. With this in mind, is there anything you are passionate that you can do to develop yourself professionally? for example a program abroad in which you are engaged in humanitarian efforts, perhaps with a medical focus? Think along those lines. Do not be discouraged. Some people start medical school in their 40s and 50's!

I hope that helps. Just take a deep breath. Realize that your ability to adapt to changes and bumps in the road is a quality that will keep you going throughout life and medical school when you get in next year. Rarely do things go according to plan, so just re-frame and adjust from here... You never know, the experiences you gain this year might be deeply rewarding and fulfilling and give you a greater sense of direction!:oops:

Good luck!!! and Keep us posted

Sasha
thanks im definitely gonna try and keep my head up
Go to DNP school. You'll be able to practice independently for the same reimbursement as primary care doctors. And you'll be a nurse so you'll be more compassionate for your patients, even better than a doctor!
how long would that take?

rama kandra

Actual Psychiatrist jk
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
uhh your username has ufc in it, need i say more about your time off? BECOME A UFC FIGHTER

ps i realize this is an awfully stupid comment because your username has UCF in it - not ufc so, i refuse to delete it for posterity. laugh at me.

mipp0

10+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2008
Status

flip, you've got ice water in your veins friend.

What if the poor fellow is speaking truth? He just got rejected to all his schools man. Think about the emotional devastation!

With that said, please continue :smuggrin:

mipp0

10+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2008
Status
You applied so late! That's probably one of the biggest reasons you got no acceptances. Applying early in the cycle makes a HUGE difference.

I wouldn't get discouraged if I were you. Focus this year on working/volunteering/building up your EC's and try applying again next year, but EARLY, as in June.
Dude you just found your problem.

batch5000

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2007
Status
Medical Student
First off - I'm pretty surprised you didn't get in this cycle. Second - don't do a special masters post-bacc. Take another year of college at the best university in your state and rock 32 credits of A's in upper division sciences. Get solid clinical experience during this time - not that candystriper or hospital gift shop crap. Find a free clinic where they let you interact with patients, or find something decent at a hospital. Find some physicians to shadow. Don't retake the MCAT. Just get the GPA up to a 3.4 and you should be set.

Cheers