• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Just got my financial aid package: please advise

It'sElectric

10+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2005
  1. Attending Physician
    Hi all,

I will be starting med school this fall and just got my fiinancial papers. Here it goes (per year):
    Total loans: $30,000 (8,500 Federal Stafford Subsidized; 6,000 Federal Perkins; 15,534 Federal Stafford Unsubsidized).
    Total Scholarships: $26,000.

Although my calculated family contribution is about $10,000, I don't want to ask my parents for money. My father is the main breadwinner in the house but our relationship becomes really strained whenever money gets involved. I've had enough of that in undergrad. Basically, I know he will offer to help, but it will come with thick strings attached.

Thus, do you think that $30,000 is okay to borrow, or is it too much? Of course, I am thinking that I will have to repay it later.... I just wanted to know how much loans you guys usually take per year.

Also, do you feel that living expenses calculated by the school are enough?

It all really depends. Where do you live? What are your spending habits? What extra expenses do you expect? What does your school budget supposedly cover? Etc., Etc.

I pay for everything with student loans, and I keep a part-time student job to help pay for extra little things. Thus, 30K in loans is no big deal to me.

Just be smart about your spending habits, and I'm sure you'll be just fine.

About the Ads

okbye

10+ Year Member
    Apr 13, 2007
    1. Non-Student
      Keep in mind you have the right to appeal your financial aid package offer. It may not change, but it doesn't hurt to try. You can also ask about a campus job to offset some costs. You have to check with your school on their policy about outside aid but you can also look for your own scholarships. Some schools allow it, some don't. http://www.fastweb.com/ is a great free resource for finding scholarships, you fill out a little info and it searches for things you are eligible for.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.