Just got my MCAT score and would like some advice/help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JOLA46

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just received my MCAT score and am pretty disappointed. PS7 V6 B8 TOTAL 21.

I am 30 and have been out of full time school for quite some time. I dedicated 6 months to MCAT prep and really thought I would be able to do better. I did the PR course but did not feel prepared so I bought EKs and really enjoyed their products. I took all aamc practice tests as well as the EK 101 verbal passages. I am fresh out of practice material now. Any ideas/advice?

Also, I feel pretty down about the amount of time and energy I spent prepping and my low score. Has something like this happened to anyone else? Were you able to pull up your score?

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of advice, did you try the EK 1001 Bio? That really helped me a lot. Also, try using mcat-review.org. It's free and great way to cover material. With your score, it is clear that you have gaps in your comprehension of particular topics. I really enjoyed using the Berkley Review books for physics, general chemistry, and organic chemistry. Here is a link for a great book for verbal:
http://www.amazon.com/MCAT-Verbal-Reasoning-Mastery-Comprehension/dp/0981672108
Good luck!

First off, I'm sorry about your score :/ it's always devastating when you don't receive what you were expecting. What was your average score on the AAMC tests?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your AAMC average must have told you that you weren't ready for the MCAT, unless your average was significantly higher.

Reactions: 5 users
how were you scoring on practice exams? do you think it was largely not being prepared or did you let test day nerves get the best of you?

Your AAMC average must have told you that you weren't ready for the MCAT, unless your average was significantly higher.
This. You should have NEVER gone into the real exam with practice tests in the low 20s.

Reactions: 1 users
I was averaging 24 on my practice exams. I think part of it was being unprepared. I studied really really hard for it, but often got overwhelmed with practice passages and tests. In regards to the verbal, I just bombed it. I was doing well on my practice passages and tests.

I was averaging 24 on my practice exams. I think part of it was being unprepared. I studied really really hard for it, but often got overwhelmed with practice passages and tests. In regards to the verbal, I just bombed it. I was doing well on my practice passages and tests.
I cannot recommend taking a high stakes exam if one is scoring in a range inconsistent with success.

Reactions: 5 users
If you studied for a dedicated six months and your practice tests topped out at 24, then there was something you were doing that wasn't right. What were your study methods like?

What made you think that you would score well enough to be competitive for medical schools on the real deal if you were averaging a 24? Also, that seems like a really poor score given the length of time you dedicated to it as well as the prep materials you used. What did you do to study for it?

I agree with other posters who say that it probably wasn't the best idea to go into the test with an AAMC average in the mid-low twenties. It sounds like you are spending plenty of time studying, but perhaps you need to work on your study habits to get more out of all of that time you put it.

I took the MCAT four years ago and got a very similar score: 22 (6PS, 7VR, 9BS). The biggest mistake I made was going into it unprepared. I didn't review nearly enough and only did a single practice exam. Another important aspect for me was TIME. It is essential that you both know the material and get a feel for the timing/pacing of the test. I decided to take another shot at the exam 4 years later with a better game plan and ended up scoring in the 30s, even with being out of school for a handful of years.

My suggestion would be set some time aside to develop a solid game plan if you are thinking of a retake. I know its been a while, but it would be best to really dig into the material and learn the basics all over again before you start taking the practice exams. I would recommend using the EK 1001 series for practice questions while you study. As you learn new concepts you can then test your understanding by doing a few questions from the book each night. Each person had different advice, but this really helped for me.

tl;dr- It's definitely possible to raise that score! You may just need a new approach!

Thanks for the replies guys..........my study method and a little background info:

First off, I took BIO I and II, Physics I, and Chem I almost 10 years ago, so I needed a lot of refreshing in those areas. I decided Princeton Review Course was a good idea.

TPR suggested taking AAMC practice tests as early as week 2. I started taking them and scored really low 17, 18 etc. The fact of the matter was I was guessing on 50% (if not more) of the test. Looking back, I should have taken the class without doing the practice tests and then started taking the practice tests once the class was over. I didn't take the real deal after the course because my scores were so low.

After regrouping and researching, I purchased EK complete home study course and completed it TO THE T. I didn't miss ANYTHING and actually really enjoyed prepping with them. I thought this would raise my score. Without having any AAMC tests left, I started doing passages in the TPR Science Workbook and took 2 Kaplan practice tests, both of which I scored a 25 on. Meanwhile, I was getting 9s and 10s on my seperate verbal practice tests.

At this point, I am lost. Should I wait till the 2015 version so I can have/use the new practice tests? Should I keep studying and take the 2014 version again? IDK. I finished TPR and EK verbal books so my resources are limited there as well.

One thing I do know is that I am very unhappy with TPR. I received no guidance from them on my individual situation. The teachers weren't teachers with solid advice about the MCAT..........they were kids who had taken it and done well. I just got on this board and found more useful information in one afternoon than I did in 3 months with them.

Any advice and help is appreciated

I don't know if trying to rush to take this test again is really a good idea. You say you studied for 6 months and finished all TPR materials (I'm assuming their science book as well as all AAMC/extra tests) and you were still averaging low/mid 20's scores, I don't know how you studied/how effective you were, but it seems clear that you really weren't developing a good understanding of really any of the sections. If you just weren't fully prepared when you went in to take the test, a few months might be enough to increase your subject competencies up to ~10's would be more reasonable. But for some reason you just really aren't learning/understanding the material, or else you are having some breakdown in the ability to use the material to answer questions, and just ramming your head into the brick wall again isn't likely to help get the results you want.

Can you give more info on why you weren't doing well? Did you just not understand the material well? Or is this an issue of application and test taking? Also how did you study? And what does finishing the TPR materials mean? Did you just read through the book once? Or did you go back through every topic in the book (and your TPR lecture notes) and make sure you understood them all and could apply the concepts/utilize any formulas, etc. ?

Studying for 6 months and scoring low-mid 20's just doesn't really add up for majority of test takers, that is a ton of time to dedicate for the test and to go over the material yet there is a breakdown in the path somewhere. You can try giving a lot more info and seeing what people on here can offer you, but I may even consider looking for a stronger in-person tutor/program to really sit down and figure out what isn't working and to lay out a plan to fix it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't go do all of the TPR materials. I did all of the EK home study course material. This consisted of:

1. Reading the chapter once
2. Reading the chapter a 2nd time while highlighting, taking notes, and answering the in text questions
3. Listening to the audio osmosis lecture at least once
4. Taking the 30 minute chapter test
5. Reading the chapter a third time very slowly
6. *Listen to audio osmosis and do 1001 questions if necessary

I really liked EK and feel like if I had all 8 aamc practice tests left that I could take them and score a lot better............practicing my test taking skills and learning from mistakes.

My mental math is poor and I often get overwhelmed on the PS because of this. For example, I have a really hard time doing the conversions........I get them right, but it takes me a while. Every time I took a practice test I would have 2-3 sections that I would just nail (every question right or 1 wrong), 2-3 sections that I would do okay ok (around 2-3 wrong) and then at least one section (usually 2) I would totally bomb (none right or one right).

For BIO it was gaps in my content knowledge. For example, I scored a scaled score of 13 on the nervous system 0n EK end of chapter exams, but made a 5 on micro.

I agree with you about the tutor. I would pay any amount of money to sit down with someone and have them help me. Where do I find someone like this!!!????

Also, my application to med school is solid. I have worked full time for the med school I want to get into for 5 years. I have 2nd assisted in over 500 surgical cases and have more clinical hours than I can even add up. I also have been on two volunteer medical trips to remote areas in East Africa. The MCAT score is all I am missing : /

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but why did you decide to take the real exam if you were scoring 20's in the practice exams?

I was scoring in the low 20's after the princeton review course so i decided not to take the exam. I then started using EK and did their whole at home study course. After I was done, I had no more AAMC practice tests (because I took them all during the TRP course). I bought 4 Kaplan practice tests and took 2 of them scoring a 25 on both. I had no idea if the Kaplan tests were harder, easier, whatever, so I decided to take the real exam and see what I would score. Ideally, I would have had the 8 AAMC tests and been able to use them practice and see where I was at.

I didn't go do all of the TPR materials. I did all of the EK home study course material. This consisted of:

2. Reading the chapter a 2nd time while highlighting, taking notes, and answering the in text questions

This is where the problem lies. Nothing in this suggests that you were actively practicing passages. Doing discrete questions when you can may help a little with content, but you must be able to apply them on a regular basis. This means doing a few passages EVERY DAY. If reading, highlighting, and listening consisted of the bulk of your studying, then that's why you weren't able to do well. The MCAT is not a test that can be prepared for passively. You must actively use your brain to solve problems.

I still recommend doing regular passages in the TPRHL Science Workbook. Do a couple on each subject each day and do a couple verbal passages in their verbal workbook each day.

Reactions: 1 users
^This. Despite the fact that the vast majority of premeds study for classes the same way as you (reading/highlight/repeat), for the vast majority of people this DOESN'T work for the MCAT. You need to be spending a lot, lot more time doing practice questions/passages. IMO you should do the entire science workbook, verbal workbook, as well as every since AAMC test and a few of the other tests offered to you through TPR and as you go and get questions wrong due to gaps in knowledge, go back and fill them in. At the same time take a bit of time each day to review high yield info/eqns/etc so that you make sure you get those questions right.

IMO, thankfully you didn't do well due to a poor studying technique. It is MUCH better than being one of the unlucky few who just can't test well or can't understand/get the info down seemingly no matter what they do. Try working around your study technique (I'm sure the mcat forum has a lot of great ideas/info) and then do some practice tests and see if you're seeing good improvement. Then you can see if it is something you can do by Jan or if you should just wait.

This is where the problem lies. Nothing in this suggests that you were actively practicing passages. Doing discrete questions when you can may help a little with content, but you must be able to apply them on a regular basis. This means doing a few passages EVERY DAY. If reading, highlighting, and listening consisted of the bulk of your studying, then that's why you weren't able to do well. The MCAT is not a test that can be prepared for passively. You must actively use your brain to solve problems.

I still recommend doing regular passages in the TPRHL Science Workbook. Do a couple on each subject each day and do a couple verbal passages in their verbal workbook each day.

Great advice here. This is definitely a common problem in MCAT prep. The content addressed may seem a lot, but honestly, real learning comes from doing a lot of practice passages (sciences and verbal)

I remember someone saying that it's possible to score a 35 with only reasoning, but to score higher, you need content review. Now, if you're taking the exam with only content and zero reasoning, you'll probably get stuck in high 10s/low 20s

I really liked EK and feel like if I had all 8 aamc practice tests left that I could take them and score a lot better............practicing my test taking skills and learning from mistakes.

My mental math is poor and I often get overwhelmed on the PS because of this. For example, I have a really hard time doing the conversions........I get them right, but it takes me a while. Every time I took a practice test I would have 2-3 sections that I would just nail (every question right or 1 wrong), 2-3 sections that I would do okay ok (around 2-3 wrong) and then at least one section (usually 2) I would totally bomb (none right or one right).

For BIO it was gaps in my content knowledge. For example, I scored a scaled score of 13 on the nervous system 0n EK end of chapter exams, but made a 5 on micro.

I agree with you about the tutor. I would pay any amount of money to sit down with someone and have them help me. Where do I find someone like this!!!????

Also, my application to med school is solid. I have worked full time for the med school I want to get into for 5 years. I have 2nd assisted in over 500 surgical cases and have more clinical hours than I can even add up. I also have been on two volunteer medical trips to remote areas in East Africa. The MCAT score is all I am missing : /

I am late to the party, but has reading worked for you in the past? I know personally if I am reading, I zone out and can read an entire chapter and not know what I just read. The second round with highlighting would be good as long as it is active note taking. Maybe you could make the 1001 series higher on the list versus just reading?
Practice questions are more interesting than reading anyways :prof:

Here is what worked for me:

Physical Sciences: I found that reviewing EK books was not enough for me. I did not like Kaplan at all because I felt like it gave a lot of information that was not useful for the exam, so I supplemented with The Princeton Review. This helped a ton, especially because the book gave a lot of sample problems that were similar to the problems found in the MCAT practice tests. I found the TPR science workbook really helpful in this section toward the end of my practice. I bumped up my score to the 11-13 range after using it and scored within that range the day of the test.

Verbal: The EK passages REALLY REALLY helped. Both with developing the stamina to stay focused for longer periods of time and with avoiding traps on the test. I always scored a 10 or more on this section and I repeated this the day of the test.

BIO: I used a combination of things. EK, TPR science book, EK 101 Bio passages book. This section was the most difficult for me to improve because my bio background is a bit weak, but I was consistently scoring in the 10-11 range during practice. I underperformed the day of the test, but it was not because I did not prepare well.

Really, the best thing you can do for the MCAT is work through problems. Doing so solidifies the concepts you learn while reviewing and it makes you less of a passive learner. Make sure you take the time to understand why you get things wrong. This is perhaps the most important part of any study plan.

thanks for all the replies guys.....i def WAS NOT working passages/problems everyday.

What do y'all think I should do about practice tests now though? I used up all the AAMC ones. Also, I used up all the EK 101 passages and TPR Verbal Hyperlearning Workboook. I am fresh out of verbal practice material. Any suggestions?

Since you have TPR workbooks already, I too suggest doing those passages.
If you can afford it, Berkeley Review has very good passages as well. You could buy used books in pretty good condition in this forum if you prefer.
As for doing math/conversion type problems, repetition is key. I think especially for Gchem and Physics, EK1001 questions are quite good. If you are consistently doing poorly because of these types of problems, I would suggest going through at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the problems on EK1001.

Since you are a new member, I suggest looking through sn2ed's study guide for the MCAT.
You don't have to follow his guide exactly, but it will tell you what areas you were missing and what you have to work on.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/breaking-down-the-mcat-a-3-month-mcat-study-schedule.623898/

thanks for all the replies guys.....i def WAS NOT working passages/problems everyday.

What do y'all think I should do about practice tests now though? I used up all the AAMC ones. Also, I used up all the EK 101 passages and TPR Verbal Hyperlearning Workboook. I am fresh out of verbal practice material. Any suggestions?

You might want to work on your general reading comprehension if you only scored a 6 despite going through all those practice passages. A 6 usually signifies some deficiency on that. Find some good academic papers or literature in the humanities and start reading/analyzing. Then, if you can, try going through some TPR verbal passages that you don't remember reading (been too long) and practice with those.

Have you tried the AAMC self assessments yet?

I have not tried the AAMC self assessments, but I purchased them. I am def going to complete them now.

On verbal, I really struggled with philosophy, war, and political passages. Any ideas on things to read/analyze? When I approached my TPR instructor about how poorly I was doing on these topics compared to how well I was doing on others she said not to worry about it......ironically, it seemed every passage on the real deal dealt with these topics.

Love y'alls advice guys. Thank you so much.

I think one of the things you MUST MUST do with verbal( even more then with any other section) is to understand the main idea/the setup of the passage, and time yourself really well.

In the beginning when I was taking my tests, I would always run out of time when coming to the last passage and that's not cool. If they give you like 5-6 questions per passage and you leave out 2 questions per passage . .not cool.
When you read, keep asking yourself . . what is the purpose of this passage? what does it add to the whole idea? Is it a transition?
When you read, make an outline . . . .you should only end up really using your paraphrased outline to answer questions . .. read it 1x, know the general characteristics of the sentences( are they contradictory? supportive? showing a certain example? quotes? descriptive?), move on.
Paraphrase!
EK101 verbal was great on practice! Do you know why you got every single question wrong?
Try the TPR ICC
During your timed practice, if you are trying to "find" a sentence without knowing the idea, then you are wasting time.

The biggest thing you should know about the MCAT: Its a mind game!
Which means that you need to be absolutely honest with yourself!

Its 80% you and 20% the resources you use.
1) I suggest that you combine Kaplan online resources, Princeton Review Student Workbook and Berkley Review Passages . . . . . .its not about "oh this company guarantees this and they have that great plan blah blah blah".
Its all about how you review.
Actively review!( This is beyond the highlighting and reading the chapter 2x and listening and the notes) . .. you must be always applying the knowledge to the questions that you got wrong. Always think . ."what else can they ask me?"
Group the questions you got wrong into topics(You should be doing this regardless of what the resource does for you)
Question everything!
Know why you got it wrong! ( Is it knowledge? Is it that you missed a line? Did you miss the whole setup?)

Look at one of the endocrinology questions I got wrong with Ca+2.

2) Basically How do you rebound?
Read the TPR, do the science workbook,review, then do the corresponding Kaplan online resources( topicals, quizzes whatever), then do a biology sectional, review, physical science sectional, review, Kaplan test, review, AAMC test, review( repeat this multiple times), when you do the AAMC self assessment for each one toward the latter 3rd of your prep . .. your scores should be up.

3) Yes, math is hard . .what do you do?
Get the AP Chem/AP pHysics questions . . .do the multiple questions . . .they are math heavy and if you cannot get through them, then you aren't probably doing well in the MCAT sections either. AP Teachers all around have wonderful resources if you use google. Use their resources . .you might find it useful.

4) If you want this bad enough . . .you will do this . . .no excuses.

Oh yes and if I have underlined/bolded anything . . .its only for your benefit :) Am not yelling . .promise promise

Last edited:
Seriously? I'll be that guy. If you studied that much and for that long and only managed a 21, it's time for you to consider something besides medical school IMO. PA? Podiatry, maybe?

Reactions: 1 user
jonnythan, I know what you are saying, I do, and there is perhaps some merit into that recommendation, but I wouldn't say give up all together. I studied for 5 months the first time, got a 23. Then, I started fresh, revised my study habits, studied for 2 more months and got a 30. Sometimes people just have the wrong idea of how to study a particular test. If OP wants to try the MCAT again (With some serious changes do the way he/she studies and takes these practice tests,) so be it. But yeah, if the pattern continues with the low end practice test scores (mine went up significantly and stayed that way mostly) then yeah, it might be time to think of other routes for career choices.

I don't think anyone should be telling op that it's time to look into another field because their mcat score isn't that high after studying for five months. ... that's just wrong. Maybe he/she just needs to tailor their study plan. Just because some people are able to achieve high scores after 3 months doesn't mean others will achieve the same in three months. Lets encourage each other on here, not discourage each other.

I have not tried the AAMC self assessments, but I purchased them. I am def going to complete them now.

On verbal, I really struggled with philosophy, war, and political passages. Any ideas on things to read/analyze? When I approached my TPR instructor about how poorly I was doing on these topics compared to how well I was doing on others she said not to worry about it......ironically, it seemed every passage on the real deal dealt with these topics.

Struggling with certain types of passages signifies deep unfamiliarity with that kind of literature. Try reading more articles about that type of stuff. That's all I can recommend. I too struggle with those topics the most when I do verbal passages as well.

Seriously? I'll be that guy. If you studied that much and for that long and only managed a 21, it's time for you to consider something besides medical school IMO. PA? Podiatry, maybe?

I have to agree here.

You could end up really deep in debt and likely not matching if you go to the Caribbean.

I don't know your GPA but if it is near 4.0 and you retake and get a 25 you might be able to go DO. If you have a 3.4 you would have to go retake a bunch of classes and get As as well as get 5pt MCAT increase. It sounds like you studied well for the MCAT. Just taking all those practice tests and reviewing the questions should be sufficient. My guess is your scores leveled off after 3-4 months of studying and getting a 5 pt increase from that point is near impossible I believe.

I would have to know you better but you may really be deciding between spending years now to mayyyyyybe finish residency at 40 and perhaps being deep in debt without a degree

OR

doing something like PA or podiatry that you will definitely be able to handle and having a career in a few years that will still get much of the same rewards as a physician. It is really your call but don't blindly ignore your risk here.

From what you said unless you are somehow both independently wealthy and masochistic I honestly think you would be happier in a different career.

Just want to add if you already have ~ a 4.0 I might not give up yet, 24MCAT and 4.0 and you could be OK, but really less than that is going to have a very difficult time with med school coursework even if you can get in.

Last edited:
i am thinking about a different career for sure, but I want to give it another go. the 6 on verbal killed me and i know i can pull it up. i mean, i made several 9s and 10s on practice tests.

it is not an excuse, but i literally have not seen a physics I, chem I, bio I or bio II problem in 10 years.

all in all, yes i feel pretty terrible about my grade, but i work with so many residents/physicians and i know that i can do it.

thanks for the positive posts guys

Don't do them now. Take a step back, regroup, and start over from scratch. You already explained that you know you have content gaps and deficiencies. Focus on those first. I'd really, really recommend getting TBR and going through them, doing passages as you go. The sheer number of practice passages makes TBR clutch. Personally, I found supplementing with EK1001 for everything but Bio did a good job of systematically going through the various approaches which could be seen for each topic. I also made flashcards, which works very well for my brain. Between practice problems and flashcards, you can turn this into a fully active review process. If you don't have time to make your own, my deck is floating around on here somewhere (please don't message me for it, use the search function, it will come up), though it is of course tailored to my brain and is honestly overkill for the MCAT.

Only once you feel that you have at least a basic understanding of all concepts, then try the SAs and see how you do. I'd also recommend using the AAMC VR SA shortly before your retake, as it is the only realistic VR practice you have left (since you did the FLs).

one last thing guys. i forgot to mention that i work full time (in a hospital surgery setting that can be rather stressful). has anyone else every done this and studied for the mcat? princeton review discouraged it : /

do y'all think this might be getting in the way of improving my score?

i wish i could just take like 2 months off before the test

I had been working full time, and going to school half time, for years at the time I took the MCAT. It certainly doesn't help, but the workload in medical school is significantly higher than what I was going through while working full time plus going to school half time plus studying for the MCAT. Keep that in mind.

thanks man. i am in school part time too.....yeah, i keep telling myself that this is good practice for med school and it sounds like your past and current experience reflects my thought. thanks.

in regards to your previous comment i really took it to heart and know/agree with where your coming from. i do know a handful of VERY successful physicians who have not done well on the MCAT. one made a 23 and he is one of the most respected physicians (in his field) in the southeast. my educational background is not the same as most pre-meds (nor was his), but becoming a physician is my dream/goal and i don't care if i have to study 2 years for the mcat to make the score i need to get into and be prepared for medical school. i actually do enjoy studying this stuff and regardless of what anyone says, i see the physicians i work with applying the "thought process" that comes with mcat every single day.

The best thing you can do for verbal is read a lot of difficult opinion pieces on a daily bases. Wilson Quarterly, The Atlantic, WSJ, etc are good sources. You need to read regularly- verbal isn't something that is easily improved, it is a life skill that you have to develop through reading. There are no tricks, secrets, or fast and easy ways to learn how to read. You just need to read.

thanks mad jack.......for both posts. i just started reading sn2'ed. awesome! this is wayyyyyyyyy different that what i was doing. wayyyyyy different.

one last thing guys. i forgot to mention that i work full time (in a hospital surgery setting that can be rather stressful). has anyone else every done this and studied for the mcat? princeton review discouraged it : /

do y'all think this might be getting in the way of improving my score?

i wish i could just take like 2 months off before the test
Yeah, I just finished studying for this beast while working 2 jobs...if you check in the 'SN2ed First Days' thread there are a bunch of working, high-scoring people. It IS possible. You CAN do it. You just have to be willing to completely change everything about your approach to the exam until something does work for you, and not ignore the warning signs of another low score.

What % of your time was spent in content review and what % was spent in taking practice tests and then reviewing your answers?
Did you just review the incorrect answers or did you also review the correct answers?
When you reviewed your answers, did you look at the reasoning for or against each answer choice and understand it?

IMO, >50% of your study time should be dedicated to practicing. By practicing, I mean taking practice tests and practice drills and reviewing every question (whether wrong or right) and every answer choice to the point that if you were to retake the test/drill, you would score >95%.

I think content review, for the MCAT, is not very important. What's more important is your ability to analyze data and observations and answer the questions at hand.

What % of your time was spent in content review and what % was spent in taking practice tests and then reviewing your answers?
Did you just review the incorrect answers or did you also review the correct answers?
When you reviewed your answers, did you look at the reasoning for or against each answer choice and understand it?

IMO, >50% of your study time should be dedicated to practicing. By practicing, I mean taking practice tests and practice drills and reviewing every question (whether wrong or right) and every answer choice to the point that if you were to retake the test/drill, you would score >95%.

I think content review, for the MCAT, is not very important. What's more important is your ability to analyze data and observations and answer the questions at hand.
I disagree that content review is unimportant...however, I think you're on the right track with your 'active review' bit.
There is NO reason why content review cannot mean practice problems. That's the heart of the SN2ed plan...do practice problems, then do more practice problems, then more, until you're certain you've covered all topics with a bunch of practice passages which are harder than the real deal. Then go through and do them again to refresh.

I disagree that content review is unimportant...however, I think you're on the right track with your 'active review' bit.
There is NO reason why content review cannot mean practice problems. That's the heart of the SN2ed plan...do practice problems, then do more practice problems, then more, until you're certain you've covered all topics with a bunch of practice passages which are harder than the real deal. Then go through and do them again to refresh.

Oh yeah, thanks for clarifying my post.

What I forgot to mention is that, when you do a lot of practice and really study the answer solution reasoning, you'll end up memorizing the material.
What I meant by "content review" is when someone simply stares at lecture notes/textbooks and studies passively. Even retaking notes or outlining chapters is still too passive for an exam like the MCAT. At that point, you might as well just watch youtube videos explaining concepts.

But even with all the content review in the world, you need good test taking skills. My MCAT instructor for OChem told me that with less knowledge of Biology than even the worst premed, she was able to score 10+ on every BS section of real MCATs that she took.

What I forgot to mention is that, when you do a lot of practice and really study the answer solution reasoning, you'll end up memorizing the material.
What I meant by "content review" is when someone simply stares at lecture notes/textbooks and studies passively. Even retaking notes or outlining chapters is still too passive for an exam like the MCAT. At that point, you might as well just watch youtube videos explaining concepts.
I'd concur on that, but I'd still be careful about terming all such things content review. Review is good, active review is great, passive review is almost worthless.
Another form of active review which I tend to like is making/reviewing flashcards. I pretty much Anki'd all of TBR for the MCAT - ended up with ~2800 cards which I was reviewing daily, and felt that it was very helpful. Mostly the making, though...that forces you to sift through and decide what is important, what relates to what else, and how they could try to trick you with questions...which is really what you should be doing for every topic all the time!

I can't even tell you how much time I dedicated to reading notes, textbooks, etc. I find it somewhat funny that you said "you might as well just watch youtube videos explaining the concepts". I spent SO SO much time watching youtube videos and listening to EK audio osmosis.

If I had to guess, probably more than 400 hours reading, listening, watching...........smh. probably spent less than 100 actually doing passages and problems. Wow, I was so off. It def explains why I felt like I was bashing my head into a brick wall the whole time. I have said it so many times, but I want to say it again.....THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH. I am finally getting good advice.

Oh yeah, in regards to looking at the questions I got right/wrong, my method was way off there too. I spent very little time looking at the answers and analyzing them. If I did poorly on a passage or group of questions, I would just spend a couple hours going back and re-reading that particular topic.

Oh yeah, in regards to looking at the questions I got right/wrong, my method was way off there too. I spent very little time looking at the answers and analyzing them. If I did poorly on a passage or group of questions, I would just spend a couple hours going back and re-reading that particular topic.
This is key. I'd recommend, not only going back to the ones you got wrong, but also reviewing (quickly) the ones you got right. Read the question, figure out how you would solve it, recall if that's how you DID solve it, see if you were right. If so, yay, read the answer explanation in case they used a shortcut you forgot.

For those you got wrong, do the above, but also make sure you fully work out why something was right...and then go through the other choices and try to see the quickest way you could have eliminated them as viable options.

Some can take the mcat casually and get an amazing score. The rest of us had to dedicate our LIFE for 3 months straight to this test to score 32+. This test is not a difficult test of scientific or mathematical skill. It is simply HOW DEDICATED ARE YOU and how bad do you want it. You think medical school cares if you know the friction of a slowing cart? My only advice is sit down with yourself and ask what do I really want? Let go of anything that isn't 100% crucial and commit.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."