Just got my MCAT score. I'd love a life coach.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemCrazy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm in a rough spot, so any and all advice is welcome.
Im an African-American female with an undergrad degree in biochemistry.
cGPA: 3.52
sGPA: 3.39 (C in both Orgo classes, retook one and got a B, 3 semesters where I took the minimum course load)
MCAT: 506 (130/123/125/128)
I was aiming for 508-510 balanced. My FLs were consistent the last 3 weeks prior at 129/126/126/128. This was 3 months of studying 8 hours a day, 2 years after pre-reqs. Is 6-8 weeks enough to relearn everything and fill in gaps- especially if I would retake it in the hopes of getting ~512 this time?

ECs:
600 hours of research (over 3 semesters and a summer) with American Chemical Society certification.
200 hours of clinical volunteering (over 2 academic years, took a 2 year break for health reasons, going to increase that by another 100 from now until June)
10 hours of shadowing (plan to get another 20, scattered)
150 hours of being a learning assistant in the Biology department (over 1 academic year)
Membership in pre-medical honor society

I am applying early and broadly and will accept any school. I didn't do anything during this gap year besides study for the MCAT and go back home to West Africa (where I did do some volunteering, but I'm still deciding whether it's worth mentioning).

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if I am a life coach but I can offer insight as I am applying this upcoming cycle and in the middle of my gap year. I don't think you should retake. The reason being that CARS is your lowest score. Arguably the hardest section to predict how you would do on test day because there's no outside knowledge and is surprisingly reliant on how you're feeling during test day (got a 124 on FL 2 three days before my test and got a 127 on actual). Also your other sections you either scored above or right around where you were scoring on practice tests. Personally, I wouldn't risk a retake just because CARS is a little low. In regards to your EC, your research and clinical is good but your shadowing and nonclinical could use some work (by nonclincal I mean like soup kitchen volunteering or tutoring in disadvantaged communities etc..). I think your first piece of business should be to start shadowing and nonclinical volunteering ASAP. Also if you can find a gap year job to finance primaries, secondaries and your interviews that would be helpful too.

@Orthopedics101 When they say anything under 125 isn't competitive, they still consider CARS, or to an unspoken lesser degree?

Would you mind telling me if there's any strong part of my application? All I see are weak spots. If I end up getting 50 or 60 shadowing hours, is that good, or 100 is needed? And what do you think is the limit of how many hours I can give to nonclinical hours now before it starts looking like I'm a box checker? I wanted to do volunteer full-time, but I was advised that wasn't consistent with who I was during undergraduate, so it'll look bad. Does the gap year job have to have anything to do with health, or as simple as a waitress?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Orthopedics101 When they say anything under 125 isn't competitive, they still consider CARS, or to an unspoken lesser degree?

Would you mind telling me if there's any strong part of my application? All I see are weak spots. If I end up getting 50 or 60 shadowing hours, is that good, or 100 is needed? And what do you think is the limit of how many hours I can give to nonclinical hours now before it starts looking like I'm a box checker? I wanted to do volunteer full-time, but I was advised that wasn't consistent with who I was during undergraduate, so it'll look bad. Does the gap year job have to have anything to do with health, or as simple as a waitress?

Who knows. If you look at the broken down section data for mean MCAT of applicants on MSAR, CARS is the lowest so maybe there is leeway? Don't quote me on that though. I think your research and clinical volunteering look decent. As for the box checking. I actually asked the same question on a thread I made not too long ago. I took the MCAT January 19th and I was working full time during my studying so I had no time to volunteer. After my test though I applied for like 2-3 nonclinical volunteer positions and was worried how adcoms would view that. I was told (which is good advice) if you can explain it away (such as being too busy MCAT studying or working full time so you took a break) then it wouldn't affect you too much. Also doing it now is better than the alternative of not doing it at all lol. As for gap year jobs it doesn't matter what you do. I think it just so happens that most people end up doing biological research or scribing or working at a hospital because those are weak points in their application and working full time for a year will definitely make it a strong point (also may give you useful LORs if its from a PI or doctor or something). I do pulmonary research at a medical school and while research is a strong point in my application, I am planning on applying to research intensive schools so having more will just be a benefit. Plus its at one of my top medical schools and will get a good LOR from it. That's my motivation for my job but take that it with a grain of salt since n = 1 here.

If English is your second language some schools might give you some leeway. That being said I think 123 is really easy to increase and your score on the other sections will not go down.

I will recommend a retake but work through a few passages with someone that is really good at CARS. You need to know with 100% certainty why the correct answers are correct and why the wrong answers are wrong. After you have a solid strategy use EK's 101 verbal passages plus AAMC materials.

Last edited:

Wut? Not sure if serious. The only time anything academic came up on my interviews was someone gushing over my VR/CARS score, not the D's on my transcript but my CARS score.

CARS is very important, it is the only section on the exam that is straight up testing your reasoning skills. If it is obvious that English isn't your primary language from your name, place of birth, etc. some schools will overlook it.

I think your application is solid enough that a re-take won't hurt you, you might have even under performed.

applying to research intensive schools
I just bought the MSAR, so I'm working through using it effectively, but could you tell me what schools are research intensive? I noticed on my transcript that I always do better in the lab than the class, so I think, despite how much I'm committed to medicine, my mind is suited for a lab.

that English isn't your primary language from your name, place of birth, etc. some schools will overlook it.
French is my first language. I was in ESOL until 9th grade. But, I do think I could have done more to read at a higher level as a kid.

and your score on the other sections will not go down.
But, that is the reason a lot of people skip out on retaking- the risk that other scores decrease. But then again, only C/P is where I have a lot to lose. I actually look forward to P/S, so I have to think how to both maintain and increase.

I just bought the MSAR, so I'm working through using it effectively, but could you tell me what schools are research intensive? I noticed on my transcript that I always do better in the lab than the class, so I think, despite how much I'm committed to medicine, my mind is suited for a lab.

French is my first language. I was in ESOL until 9th grade. But, I do think I could have done more to read at a higher level as a kid.

But, that is the reason a lot of people skip out on retaking- the risk that other scores decrease. But then again, only C/P is where I have a lot to lose. I actually look forward to P/S, so I have to think how to both maintain and increase.

Use the MSAR and other resources to figure out where you want to go. MSAR will give you an idea of how many applicants have research experience but that says nothing about the quality of their research. Most top universities tend to emphasize research, at least will provide you with an opportunity to get some quality research experience as a medial student.

Retaking the MCAT and getting around a 510 opens up opportunities at top tier schools for you. If you prepare for 6-8 weeks your score will only go up.

Your GPAs are darn good and I'd love to have your research experience. As for the MCAT, I definitely agree that finding a specialized tutor in CARS would be the only grounds for retaking the MCAT. If you can find one go for it! The only other thing that is lacking is your amount of clinical hours, you have to show that you know what a physician's life entails. I'd add in some more volunteering in underserved communities for altruism as well. These are all easy fixes, you got this! Your app is great now but you'd kill the cycle if you get your ECs more well rounded.

Can you up volunteer and shadowing hours and apply? Do you need a top 20 acceptance? I think you should up the ECs and apply. Your stats are good enough to get in somewhere.

Reactions: 1 users
The majority of the top 20 are considered research intensive. Honestly I think whether you should retake or not depends on what medical schools you want to apply to. If you want to go top 20 than focus on CARS practice and retake. Other than that you should be able to get into medical school with your current MCAT just apply early and broadly and make sure to add your state's public schools on your list.

Reactions: 1 user
There are tutors just for CARS? That would be great. I focused too much on TBR for biology content review and got overwhelmed, so hopefully I could get both scores up.

@medngame I don't mind going to the least competitive medical school. What should I get my clinical hours and shadowing up to? I also have like 0 nonclinical hours. Is 3 months enough time to be well-rounded?

@Orthopedics101 Bottom 20 is fine, but I do love research. In that case, 200 hours over 7 weeks is the max I'm [grudgingly] willing to commit to retaking. Is 510 a reasonable goal? 512? I am ambitious about getting in, but not where I go, so I almost don't want to retake- I am afraid of the pressure I'll put on myself to ace it.

@nousername4444 thank you! I am working one of my flaws- thinking that results should justify effort. That's why the MCAT was such a blow- apparently, there is a (number of) correct way to study. I thought 8 hours a day for 3 months, what most companies recommend, meant that I do that and it would work out. But clearly there were flaws in my technique.

There are tutors just for CARS? That would be great. I focused too much on TBR for biology content review and got overwhelmed, so hopefully I could get both scores up.

@medngame I don't mind going to the least competitive medical school. What should I get my clinical hours and shadowing up to? I also have like 0 nonclinical hours. Is 3 months enough time to be well-rounded?

@Orthopedics101 Bottom 20 is fine, but I do love research. In that case, 200 hours over 7 weeks is the max I'm [grudgingly] willing to commit to retaking. Is 510 a reasonable goal? 512? I am ambitious about getting in, but not where I go, so I almost don't want to retake- I am afraid of the pressure I'll put on myself to ace it.

@nousername4444 thank you! I am working one of my flaws- thinking that results should justify effort. That's why the MCAT was such a blow- apparently, there is a (number of) correct way to study. I thought 8 hours a day for 3 months, what most companies recommend, meant that I do that and it would work out. But clearly there were flaws in my technique.
Like I said, you can get in if you round out your ECs. In the unlikely scenario that you don't, there will be an easy fix (assuming that your PS and 2ndary game is on point). By the way, I would also post your question on the What Are My Chances? Thread in pre-allo where adcom members like @LizzyM @Goro and @gyngyn can give you more guided answers.

Reactions: 1 users
Apply broadly to mid tier MD schools, your state schools and the HBCs (including UCLA/Drew). Also consider IU and WVU, and any DO school.

Hello all,
I'm in a rough spot, so any and all advice is welcome.
Im an African-American female with an undergrad degree in biochemistry.
cGPA: 3.52
sGPA: 3.39 (C in both Orgo classes, retook one and got a B, 3 semesters where I took the minimum course load)
MCAT: 506 (130/123/125/128)
I was aiming for 508-510 balanced. My FLs were consistent the last 3 weeks prior at 129/126/126/128. This was 3 months of studying 8 hours a day, 2 years after pre-reqs. Is 6-8 weeks enough to relearn everything and fill in gaps- especially if I would retake it in the hopes of getting ~512 this time?

ECs:
600 hours of research (over 3 semesters and a summer) with American Chemical Society certification.
200 hours of clinical volunteering (over 2 academic years, took a 2 year break for health reasons, going to increase that by another 100 from now until June)
10 hours of shadowing (plan to get another 20, scattered)
150 hours of being a learning assistant in the Biology department (over 1 academic year)
Membership in pre-medical honor society

I am applying early and broadly and will accept any school. I didn't do anything during this gap year besides study for the MCAT and go back home to West Africa (where I did do some volunteering, but I'm still deciding whether it's worth mentioning).

Reactions: 2 users

If you can commit fully to just volunteering with no other obligations, you could possibly rack up 100+ hours of nonclinical and clinical/shadowing hours in 3 months. The tough part is finding a good place without a long waiting list so you could start immediately. I'd recommend hospice, they're always looking for help and it's such a great experience. Nonclinical try soup kitchens, tutoring, shelters including animal or grass roots projects. I would suggest you make meaningful connections out of wherever you do voulunteer and don't stop after three months continue on even after application submissions to show commitment to altruism!

The tough part is finding a good place without a long waiting list so you could start immediately.
You are right. I am actually shocked when I hear places I am interested are full. Is everyone volunteering these days? I love that they are, but I don't remember it used to being like this. I got back in the ED clinic and joined a flee clinic. I need some nonclinical ASAP.

I just can't get over how I took a 4 month trip overseas before studying for the MCAT for 3 months, so it will end up looking like I did nothing by studying for the MCAT for 7-8 months and all I got was a 506. I honestly did not know it was a big deal until people on this forum brought it up to me.

1. If you think you can raise your CARS score then by all means retake the MCAT. Be sure to do a substantive self-assessment of what went wrong in CARS (and other sections) so that you can improve in your next MCAT administration. Interestingly, I have never been asked about my horrific CARS score at any interview. For some schools having <125 in CARS will sink your candidacy. For others, depending on the strength of your essays (primary, secondary and activities) and LOR's, you may have better luck. If you can score above a 508 (preferably a 510+), I think you will have great options. I used TBR Biology and Biochemistry supplemented with EK. Doing tons of practice questions is key, but I'm no MCAT expert.

2. What does your non-clinical volunteering/service to underserved communities look like? I would recommend what @medngame suggested. Try to engage in non-clinical volunteering activities like mentoring economically and educationally disadvantaged students, tutoring/teaching, volunteering in a soup kitchen or homeless shelter, volunteering abroad, etc. Medicine is a profession rooted in service and advocacy. It doesn't have to be anything substantial. 4-6 hours a week over the next few months will suffice.

3. Getting around 30 hours of shadowing should be sufficient (the more the better if time allows, but there is a point of diminishing returns). Also try shadowing in specialties/fields that you have some interest in or are related to some of the research you conducted so that you can potentially discuss in your essays and interviews down the line (I shadowed a lot in cardiology for example, which is related to some of the research I conducted as a graduate student). While shadowing, pay attention and keep mental notes of how the physician talks to their patient and/or family, how the patient responds, the role of a physician in a healthcare team (nurses, physician assistants, certified nursing assistants, etc.) and community, what the interactions are like and anything that you find inspirational or can relate to. This can serve useful in essays and interviews down the line. Being introspective and not being afraid to be vulnerable will serve you well throughout the process.

4. In the meantime also start thinking about, if you haven't already, who your letter writers will be. Pick these individuals carefully (only choose letter writers who can write you a STRONG and FAVORABLE letter of recommendation).

All the best

Reactions: 1 user