Just got my MCAT Scores back NOT GREAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefuldoc22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do i have a chance anywhere?

11ps
7 BS
6 VR

3.6 gpa and 3.4 sciences. i still have senior year left.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Verified = Sent to AACOMAS and they verified your primary application as complete

no, im applying next cycle.

i think i know the obvious answer and thats a retake, but if i have a decent shot at getting in anywhere id keep it. i was scoring in the 21-22 range before, with like 4-5's in verbals

no, im applying next cycle.

i think i know the obvious answer and thats a retake, but if i have a decent shot at getting in anywhere id keep it. i was scoring in the 21-22 range before, with like 4-5's in verbals

Retake

If you don't care where you go, I disagree about retaking. There will be plenty of newer schools that won't be so competitive to get into, especially with an early app.

What is your reasoning for not retaking in the next year?

Whole year left, why limit yourself? Retake the test.

i guess i just feel pretty deflated right now thats all. my score sucks, i know that. 3 months of studying feels like it went down the drain.

i know the get back on your feet reply is coming. but honestly, its a pretty discouraging feeling.

i guess i just feel pretty deflated right now thats all. my score sucks, i know that. 3 months of studying feels like it went down the drain.

i know the get back on your feet reply is coming. but honestly, its a pretty discouraging feeling.

[insert Batman's Dad quote]

Members don't see this ad :)

I genuinely know how you feel. I don't think it's a good idea to resign yourself to not retaking right now. You should take some time to focus on other parts of your app and start restudying when you feel ready. The only thing I would do is read. It's always good to be an avid reader. Don't sell yourself short, though. You have time. Good luck!

I also full heartedly agree with the post about becoming an avid reader. That helped me bring my verbal from 6 to a 9.

Last edited:

You definitely have a chance at a lot of places but obviously a retake would be best. Do you have good ec's & a DO LOR?

If it's any consolation to you, I have a 24 & 3.77 but my breakdown was 7PS, 9 V, 8B. And I have 4 interviews so far... Don't be too discouraged! I know it's hard not to with this score but honestly, 3 months of hard dedicated work can get you to at least a 26 and you will be MUCH more competitive. A lot of schools told me if I had scored a point higher, I probably would have been granted an early interview.

And to answer your question about getting screened out, no. Some will, but I applied to.16 that didn't... I didn't check all the others though.

Bottom line is you're not out of the game, but if you could put yourself.in a better situation, why not?

You definitely have a chance at a lot of places but obviously a retake would be best. Do you have good ec's & a DO LOR?

If it's any consolation to you, I have a 24 & 3.77 but my breakdown was 7PS, 9 V, 8B. And I have 4 interviews so far... Don't be too discouraged! I know it's hard not to with this score but honestly, 3 months of hard dedicated work can get you to at least a 26 and you will be MUCH more competitive. A lot of schools told me if I had scored a point higher, I probably would have been granted an early interview.

And to answer your question about getting screened out, no. Some will, but I applied to.16 that didn't... I didn't check all the others though.

Bottom line is you're not out of the game, but if you could put yourself.in a better situation, why not?

Honestly with a 6 in the VR and a 7 in the BS, he's got a very small chance at getting in. That being said he's got a lot of work ahead of him as it seems like he needs to improve his critical thinking skills and ability to apply information. So I think he needs to really spend the next few months reading challenging lit and scientific journals and then trying hard to discuss the material and try to get in the habit of applying it to things. This as well as doing EK101 + EK Bio and the OP should at least break an 8 in VR and a 9 in BS.

Shadowing an allotpathic physician
co-founded my own business
Summer research at UMDNJ
Research during the school year (close to publication)
Co-editor for school's newspaper

Another thing im considering is when this whole time frame will play out. Right now I'm considering taking a late January one which means I'll have to start studying in another 2-3 weeks. I dont know if im in the right mind set for that. A March/April date sounds decent, but I feel like that would be in the heart of the school year. Is a July date too late? It may be bad though because I may be wayyy too far removed from mcat thinking having just taken the exam a few months ago. When do you guys suggest?

The mcat is something that deserves all of your attention....
If you are in school during march/April it might be hard to balance school and mcat...

I took mine in May which gave me a month of pure mcat studying which for me worked out perfectly for me.

Sent from my ADR6350 using SDN Mobile

yea i guess another thing is that i aactually consider my self lucky. i hit a 19 on aamc 11 a week before. i would take an acceptance anywhere tbh.

Honestly with a 6 in the VR and a 7 in the BS, he's got a very small chance at getting in. That being said he's got a lot of work ahead of him as it seems like he needs to improve his critical thinking skills and ability to apply information. So I think he needs to really spend the next few months reading challenging lit and scientific journals and then trying hard to discuss the material and try to get in the habit of applying it to things. This as well as doing EK101 + EK Bio and the OP should at least break an 8 in VR and a 9 in BS.

Yeah the 6 will make it tough, for sure. All I am trying to say though, is it's not impossible. Not likely either, but definitely not impossible. :thumbup:

A lot of schools say the minimum is a 6 in any subject. Even though we all know that means don't get a 6, it still gives hope. KCUMB for example says 23 is the minimum MCAT and they sent me an interview with only a 24. There's always hope.

OP- If I were you, I would take it in July if you can set aside some quality study time. If you get verified early and send out your primary to schools in August, you should be okay...Especially with a 26+ score under your belt.:luck:

If you don't care where you go, I disagree about retaking. There will be plenty of newer schools that won't be so competitive to get into, especially with an early app.

im 3.3/3.3 26 mcat applied early and im currently on on rereview in a month at 2/3 newer schools btw so dont assume this, OP. Work hard and retake since you're applying next cycle, it only makes sense to.

Yeah the 6 will make it tough, for sure. All I am trying to say though, is it's not impossible. Not likely either, but definitely not impossible. :thumbup:

A lot of schools say the minimum is a 6 in any subject. Even though we all know that means don't get a 6, it still gives hope. KCUMB for example says 23 is the minimum MCAT and they sent me an interview with only a 24. There's always hope.

OP- If I were you, I would take it in July if you can set aside some quality study time. If you get verified early and send out your primary to schools in August, you should be okay...Especially with a 26+ score under your belt.:luck:

Taking it in July is too late. The OP should take it on Jan after spending the winter break doing it and if he doesn't do well then he has time to retake it again before June 1st.

machine 33 i got an 8,8,8, on my retake for a 24, but got a 26 10 bs, 9 vr, and 7 in july mcat...do u thnink i got a shot with a 4.0 gpa and diviosn one athlete lots of service hours, work in ER as a scribe and shadowed a DO? please help lol im getting no repsonses to my thread

Taking it in July is too late. The OP should take it on Jan after spending the winter break doing it and if he doesn't do well then he has time to retake it again before June 1st.

I agree that its late... but too late? A lot of schools don't have deadlines for primaries until December, January or later.. Ideally he wants to be early, of course, but if he has a higher MCAT, I don't think there is a HUGE difference between August and July. January would be ideal but is that enough time given that he was scoring that low on his practice tests and that he will be taking classes still?

machine 33 i got an 8,8,8, on my retake for a 24, but got a 26 10 bs, 9 vr, and 7 in july mcat...do u thnink i got a shot with a 4.0 gpa and diviosn one athlete lots of service hours, work in ER as a scribe and shadowed a DO? please help lol im getting no repsonses to my thread

You absolutely have a shot! A great one at that... Your GPA is literally perfect lol and your MCAT is right on par with the average matriculant to DO schools. As long as you have a LOR from a DO, than I would say apply anywhere you want, bud. :cool:

I just read your other thread and I thought you went from a 24 to a 26 but it was actually the other way around. I don't know what schools look at the most recent score vs the highest score. Nevertheless though, you should still be okay.

Try searching the forums a little bit to see if anyone posted a list of schools that look at highest score. Your most recent score is still really balanced, so I think you will be fine either way. Good luck!

Whole year left, why limit yourself? Retake the test.

Agree times 100000000

I know it sucks to think about, but really consider retaking since u have a whole year. The first time I took the stupid thing I scored very poorly after 3 months of studying and a prep course. I increased my score SUBSTANTIALLY by studing for 7 months by doing my own thing. If you figure out a good plan for it and dedicate more time, it's possible to increase. The MCAT is TOO IMPORTANT to throw aside and take your chances. Just my opinion though! Good luck :thumbup:

I think you'll get some interviews, but definitely re-take!!!

Something to consider. If you get an interview, they might ask you why you didn't retake the MCAT given that you have plenty of time. How will you respond to that?

My suggestion is to retake the exam. If you are not able to willing to start studying now then January is a bad idea.

Also have you started the personal statement process, LOR yet? Do you plan on submitting July 1? If you are not ready to submit on day 1 then a June/July test date won't hurt you too much.

Okay, if i get everything in on July 1 except the MCAT which I plan on taking possibly mid July, how detrimental could that be? I'm looking at a timeline wehre i get out of school in may. get personal statements, lor by july. and take the exam again mid july, which will give me roughly 2 months to prepare.

i just dont think im mentally ready to take it in january. i want to take it so badly and just get a decent score, but i know if i rush it ill just end up doing poorly. I really need to try and get my mind straight before trying to attempt it.