just got my MCAT scores, :( help! :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.TurkandJD

One Dream
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help a fellow future DO feel better, but be realistic. I just received my score and it is the complete OPPOSITE of any practice tests I took. I got a 22R.

On all my AAMC practices, I scored 9-11 in BS, 6-8 VR, 6-9 on PS.

On the MCAT: 04!!! BS, 10VR, 8PS and 85% percentile for writing.

I am a bio major, and bio is my strongest suit. During my studying for the MCAT, I would always score 9-10 on Bio. However, this exam was VERY heavy on molecular bio, micro, immuno and orgo. I dont know what to do :( I never scored 4 on a BS, always been 9-10, this is just awful. Would ADCOMS look at that all my upper level Bio classses, were straight A's?

Members don't see this ad.

CHeck with the school. Most say that you can't score less than a 6 on any individual section.

CHeck with the school. Most say that you can't score less than a 6 on any individual section.

I am retaking it July 14th, but I am submitting my application in on June 1st. Getting a 4 is just absurd. I graduated as a bio major cum laude, tutored bio, and scored 9-10 on all aamc's. This is VERY upsetting :( :mad::(

Members don't see this ad :)
Help a fellow future DO feel better, but be realistic. I just received my score and it is the complete OPPOSITE of any practice tests I took. I got a 22R.

I am a bio major, and bio is my strongest suit. During my studying for the MCAT, I would always score 9-10 on Bio. However, this exam was VERY heavy on molecular bio, micro, immuno and orgo. I dont know what to do :( I never scored 4 on a BS, always been 9-10, this is just awful. Would ADCOMS look at that all my upper level Bio classses, were straight A's?

To have straight A's in upper division Bio classes and still get a 4 on BS makes it even worse for you. No grades will ever compensate for a 4 in BS. You must absolutely retake!

I am retaking it July 14th, but I am submitting my application in on June 1st. Getting a 4 is just absurd. I graduated as a bio major cum laude, tutored bio, and scored 9-10 on all aamc's. This is VERY upsetting :( :mad::(

Don't sweat it, this exam was a fluke and you will do much better next time. A lot of people retake, this is not the end of the world. At this point you need to rest for a week, clear your mind and get back in the game.

To have straight A's in upper division Bio classes and still get a 4 on BS makes it even worse for you. No grades will ever compensate for a 4 in BS. You must absolutely retake!

just great, i already registered for july. should i submit my 22R to AACOMAS?

What do you guys think it was? I get bio, I am good at it, I tutor it, I always got good grades in it, and here I do well awful at it. When, on the other hand, I always sucked at PS/VR and did pretty good ? :(

What do you guys think it was? I get bio, I am good at it, I tutor it, I always got good grades in it, and here I do well awful at it. When, on the other hand, I always sucked at PS/VR and did pretty good ? :(

It's a content issue, it seems like you're not truly understanding and able to utilize the material. I would look into TBR or TPR Biology it has very thorough content.

Do not submit to ACCOMAS...you'll likely get auto-rejects as soon as you are verified and go to schools. I would retake and wait to apply pending a higher score. You don't want to make yourself a re-applicant if the retake process takes a bit of time.

i would retake and wait to apply pending a higher score. You don't want to make yourself a re-applicant if the retake process takes a bit of time.

+1

I do get the content, because I teach it and I have been scoring 9-10 on the 5 AAMC I took. I think it was the biochem/organic that really threw me off. Do you guys honestly think its that bad that I would get auto-rejected? :( Should I take it June 21st instead and just study hard for it, that way I wouldn't have to wait till august to submit the apps, which is way to long.

I get the content and I think it was just me not feeling well is what caused me to do bad on the BS. I think with a month-1.5 months of practice I can get get a lot better. I really wanted to apply June 1st, I am done with my apps. But you guys honestly think they will auto-reject me even if I indicate I am planning on re-taking the score? Is july 14th too late?

I do get the content, because I teach it and I have been scoring 9-10 on the 5 AAMC I took. I think it was the biochem/organic that really threw me off. Do you guys honestly think its that bad that I would get auto-rejected? :( Should I take it June 21st instead and just study hard for it, that way I wouldn't have to wait till august to submit the apps, which is way to long.

I get the content and I think it was just me not feeling well is what caused me to do bad on the BS. I think with a month-1.5 months of practice I can get get a lot better. I really wanted to apply June 1st, I am done with my apps. But you guys honestly think they will auto-reject me even if I indicate I am planning on re-taking the score? Is july 14th too late?

Like I said this looks like it was a fluke, if you can put your heart into it sure take the June 21st exam. I have a good feeling you will score > a 9 on the BS next time. From my personal experience I scored lower on the BS than my practice too probably because of nerves. I was scoring consistently 12-13s on BS but got a 10. I think if you're scoring 9-10 consistently on the BS section for the AAMC exams there is room for improvement. Go for the June 21 retake ASAP before it gets booked and study your ass off but most importantly PRACTICE. A 4 on the BS will definitely get you auto screened from every medical school it's just way too low. The BS section is no doubt the most important section, based on an article from researchers it correlates the most with USMLE step exams (which you might take in the future) and so medical schools will give it a lot of weight.

Give yourself time to look through those weak areas (biochem/orgo). Don't rush applying for you may screw yourself in the long run. I didn't do as well as I needed my first time taking the MCAT. I studied over the summer, still only brought my score up two points. Didn't get my apps finalized until Sept. Interviewed in Nov. and had an acceptance to my school of choice 10 days later. Rushing it will add to your already apparent stress and could do more harm than good. Been there done that. Stay calm, go over the material again, you will probably get a better test next time. Best of luck.

Like I said this looks like it was a fluke, if you can put your heart into it sure take the June 21st exam. I have a good feeling you will score > a 9 on the BS next time. From my personal experience I scored lower on the BS than my practice too probably because of nerves. I was scoring consistently 12-13s on BS but got a 10. I think if you're scoring 9-10 consistently on the BS section for the AAMC exams there is room for improvement. Go for the June 21 retake ASAP before it gets booked and study your ass off but most importantly PRACTICE. A 4 on the BS will definitely get you auto screened from every medical school it's just way too low. The BS section is no doubt the most important section, based on an article from researchers it correlates the most with USMLE step exams (which you might take in the future) and so medical schools will give it a lot of weight.

I am just SO shocked. Should I still submit my AACOMAS but just not submit the score? THat way the application is in and they will see that I am planing on taking the score. What would be the best way to approach this? Should I leave the 22R out of the AACOMAS but then submit both scores at the same time?

I really wish I scored 10 on Bio like usual, and scored 4 on PS instead lol.

No way you can get in with a 4 BS. You're going to have to retake. If you feel confident on the other sections, you can just focus all your effort on reviewing BS.

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't know if ChaiMeow understood your question here... you have no choice but to report your score unfortunately. But if ChaiMeow was talking about submitting your application, then yes by all means wait. That subscore will get your app screened out, go get some more practice tests from AAMC and work on understanding the test itself.

I am just SO shocked. Should I still submit my AACOMAS but just not submit the score? THat way the application is in and they will see that I am planing on taking the score. What would be the best way to approach this? Should I leave the 22R out of the AACOMAS but then submit both scores at the same time?

I really wish I scored 10 on Bio like usual, and scored 4 on PS instead lol.
See my above post... Impossible to do, its called lying and medical schools don't like it.

Give yourself time to look through those weak areas (biochem/orgo). Don't rush applying for you may screw yourself in the long run. I didn't do as well as I needed my first time taking the MCAT. I studied over the summer, still only brought my score up two points. Didn't get my apps finalized until Sept. Interviewed in Nov. and had an acceptance to my school of choice 10 days later. Rushing it will add to your already apparent stress and could do more harm than good. Been there done that. Stay calm, go over the material again, you will probably get a better test next time. Best of luck.

Thank you, so do you think I should stick with the July 14th or June 21st? I honestly think the BS was a complete fluke. If I stick with the July 14th, would I wait until August 15th until I submit my AACOMAS/AMCAS along with both scores? Or should I submit the apps w.o the scores, then submit both of the scores?

EDIT: So if I am understanding it, send the 22R to the AACOMAS, then take the new MCAT, submit the new score to the AACOMAS, then submit the app to the schools, so they see both test scores? :(

I cant believe this happened, 3.65GPA, 3.45sGPA and a bio major/tutor. I think the nerves won that battle.

Thank you, so do you think I should stick with the July 14th or June 21st? I honestly think the BS was a complete fluke. If I stick with the July 14th, would I wait until August 15th until I submit my AACOMAS/AMCAS along with both scores? Or should I submit the apps w.o the scores, then submit both of the scores?

EDIT: So if I am understanding it, send the 22R to the AACOMAS, then take the new MCAT, submit the new score to the AACOMAS, then submit the app to the schools, so they see both test scores? :(

I cant believe this happened, 3.65GPA, 3.45sGPA and a bio major/tutor. I think the nerves won that battle.

Ok. Relax. Believe it. Now, let's get over it. You cannot hide the 22R, period. It will have to go to AACOMAS eventually. IF you are planning a retake then you will submit both score, THEN your app. You can't simply submit your app without including this score, think logically here. So yes, if you wait to retake and for the scores, you will submit BOTH scores with your primary in august.

Ok. Relax. Believe it. Now, let's get over it. You cannot hide the 22R, period. It will have to go to AACOMAS eventually. IF you are planning a retake then you will submit both score, THEN your app. You can't simply submit your app without including this score, think logically here. So yes, if you wait to retake and for the scores, you will submit BOTH scores with your primary in august.

I was working hard past week and a half finishing my AACOMAS and AMCAS because I wanted to submit them right away on June 1st/June3rd respectively. This sucks that now I have to wait till July/August to submit them, depending when I take my retake, june 21st or july 14th. Any recommendations?

That one is really up to you. Get back on the horse, take practice tests, see what your missing and then decide what you feel most comfortable with. Just relax though, no its not the best news, but its not the worst... Just work to get better.

DO NOT SUBMIT UNTIL YOU RETAKE! You will get automatically rejected with the 4, and yes you can update after you retake, but it is better to not have to overcome the rejection. Just have everything ready, and submit after you retake the exam. It should still be early enough in the cycle for you to be in good shape.

DO NOT SUBMIT UNTIL YOU RETAKE! You will get automatically rejected with the 4, and yes you can update after you retake, but it is better to not have to overcome the rejection. Just have everything ready, and submit after you retake the exam. It should still be early enough in the cycle for you to be in good shape.

submit after I receive my retake score right?

Like others have said, 4 is just flat out not going to get it done for you. Retake in July or August and you should be fine.

I was working hard past week and a half finishing my AACOMAS and AMCAS because I wanted to submit them right away on June 1st/June3rd respectively. This sucks that now I have to wait till July/August to submit them, depending when I take my retake, june 21st or july 14th. Any recommendations?

Can you get the application process started so you can get verified (longest part) without an MCAT score submitted? I'm not sure. If so, this is what I would do:

1) Pick one mediocre middle-of-the-list school and submit application
2) study like crazy for the mcat
3) MCAT
4) wait 1 month
5) receive high score, then submit both MCATs to AACOMAS, and then add more schools to your list (this will cost more money but it's the "safe" way). This way you won't have to wait 4 weeks for verification as you are already verified.
6) Interviews
7) ??????????????????????
8) Medical school

Also, how can it be nerves if BS is the last section you take? I can understand being nervous for PS and maybe V, but I was pretty comfortable by the end of the day and just hammered it out. Maybe you lack the mental endurance. Have you taken many many full length exams? I took all of the AAMC and then some. One full straight on a day, every 3 days, for a month straight.. about 10 full lengths. I was in the zone on game day.

Holy cow dude, I'm sorry about the 4 on the BS. That seems like a total fluke. That's kind of what happened to me on phys sci section. Kept scoring 10+ on practice, got slammed with a 7 on the actual thing. You will need to retake the mcat for sure. I don't think you will get an interview with a 4 on BS. You should take another couple weeks to review bio section and retake it...or just straight up retake it w/o reviewing anything since your practice scores for BS are in pretty good range.

Can you get the application process started so you can get verified (longest part) without an MCAT score submitted? I'm not sure. If so, this is what I would do:

3) MCAT
4) wait 1 month
5) receive high score, then submit both MCATs to AACOMAS, and then add more schools to your list (this will cost more money but it's the "safe" way). This way you won't have to wait 4 weeks for verification as you are already verified.
6) Interviews
8) Medical school

This is what I would do too. :thumbup:

3) MCAT
4) wait 1 month
6) Interviews
8) Medical school

I'm pretty sure that you can have your application verified before you submit anything. So, just make sure that all of your transcripts have been sent, and review the info you need for the MCAT. With your GPA, as long as you improve your MCAT score, submitting in Aug should not be a problem for you.

Do you think some of your answers weren't recorded? There might have been a computer glitch, I think you can get the AAMC to regrade your exam although I don't think it gets changed very often. Think if there might have been something that happened that could have caused an error in how your answers were recorded.

EDIT: Also I don't think you should have been taking the MCAT anyway, it seems like you were averaging ~24 on the AAMCs. Did you not study for the BS section at all? I know you have a lot of experience with biology, but you do need to refresh your mind on a lot of the material as some of the things you might not have seen in a long time.

Other than that it seems like you scored in range for the other two sections, but that might have been because you studied for those two.

Thanks guys for your support. I am just really bummed and depressed about this stupid 4. I wish it was an 9-10 how it should have been and I would be ecstatic with a 28. I know some schools will take your highest scores throughout your multiple mcats. If that is the case, will the schools take my 10VR, 8PS and lets say I get a 9 on BS on my next mcat, to make my score a 27? Or how does it wokr?

Sorry for the confusion. I was just suggesting that she already have her improved score ready to be sent by amcas before she applied that way the schools wouldn't only see that 22. Some might be willing to wait on a retake, but my point was...why not wait, take your time, get your application ready and how you'd like to go in with your best foot forward and then apply. I wasn't complete until late November and will be attending next Fall. As others have said, do not rush! Wait until you're ready and happy with your application (best that you can be) and then submit.

edit: if you're absolutely sure you will score well on your next exam then do what others have said and apply to one school now. I'm hesitant to recommend this given the 4. I personally would wait until I had my better scores in hand to send anything to the application service.

Last edited:
She is actually a HE. I am russian and sasha is a unisex name lol.

So what is the verdict, can you verify without an MCAT score?

She is actually a HE. I am russian and sasha is a unisex name lol.

So what is the verdict, can you verify without an MCAT score?

good question but it doesn't really matter. I have a low mcat score from a year or so back so all im going to do is apply to one school i dont care much about to get verified, then once my new score comes in apply to all the rest. you should prob do the same. Apply to a school where its not a big deal if you do happen to get screened out. a lot of schools dont screen after primaries though.

Submit to one school that doesn't screen for secondaries, then add the rest after the retake.

Any recommendations which is the best whatever school? T

Any recommendations which is the best whatever school? T

I applied late December for primaries and filled out my secondaries in January, interviewed January, accepted in Feb. I bring this up because I took the MCAT twice once in May and once in July. With your stats if you score 28-30 you will have no problem. So moral of the story: take your time studying for the MCAT. Don't rush it. Buy more practice tests and work on BS obsessively. If you have decent EC's you should be fine submitting in August or September.

I agree with most of the advice above.. you are going to need to retake the MCAT, there's no way around that. You will most likely need to raise your Bio score up to at least a 7. Your VR score is great, the PS is alright. Don't let these section scores slip too much by neglecting studying for them. Adcoms will also see your total score for the each test, so you need to get to at least 25+ (maybe 26+). I know that the MCAT is hell, but your going to have to find it in yourself to saddle up and conquer that test. Best of Luck

I agree with the poster above me. If you take the July MCAT, you should have it back in plenty of time to be plenty early in your application. DO NOT RUSH THIS RETAKE. It's not worth it. If you do, you will more than likely screw it up again. Do every practice exam you can get your hands on, and then do them again until July. Review each one after taking it, and make sure you understand why you missed every question that you get wrong. You need to be consistently scoring 25+ on all your practice exams. Confidence is key in taking this exam. If you walk in to the testing center knowing that you have been scoring 28-29s, your nerves will be much easier on you. Good luck.

Thank you for your advice and support! You are the best! Much better then the AAMC :love:

Apologies for improper gender reference. I've only ever known female Sashas so I was just assuming. Sorry!

I'm a bit late for this thread, and I just skimmed through the responses... but applying in August isn't that late. So start on finishing and submitting AACOMAS by early June... then spend all of June and part of July restudying for the MCAT. You really just need to spend this month doing tons of AAMC practice tests, since you've already gone over the material. This is plenty of time to get your confidence and understanding of the test back before the actual MCAT.

By the time you get your score back in August, your primary will be verified and ready to go. Then just send your MCAT score, wait a couple days for AACOMAS and the schools to receive it... then you'll start receiving secondaries by September/early October, which is still pretty good time-wise.

Good luck!

I know some schools will take your highest scores throughout your multiple mcats. If that is the case, will the schools take my 10VR, 8PS and lets say I get a 9 on BS on my next mcat, to make my score a 27? Or how does it wokr?

Most schools will take your best score from each section which is great! But as many people said, you should def. have a 6+ in each section if you want to be considered. So just do lots of practice tests (Esp. AAMC) but don't burn yourself out. And don't rush things, pace yourself so that you submit your best app. Better a month later with a great score, than earlier and still lacking a few points. I wish you the best of luck! I took the MCAT 3 times before I was accepted so I know how it feels, considering your practice scores I'm sure you'll only need 1 more shot!! Just kill it ;)

Most schools will take your best score from each section which is great!

Yea, not true. Don't be giving false hope.

Aim for the best single session score you can. It's not like you can superscore your board scores when you have to take them after MS2...

Your scores are going to get to them no matter what. I was told by a number of schools that if they see on your application that you plan to retake the MCAT your app is put on "hold" basically meaning they wont look at it until the new scores come in. My advice: Take the July 14th MCAT, submit your application within a week of that, by the time your application is processed and gets to the schools your new MCAT score will be posted and they will receive it. I think that would be the best way to get it all done painlessly and not waste time. Just be damn sure you're prepared for the test for there is no turning back after that. Also, make sure you go through all of the material not just what your weak on. It's amazing what you'll forget b/w test 1 and 2 lol. Just hit the weak stuff harder.

Should I do the same thing for AMCAS? Just apply to Harvard or Yale to get them verified?

I don't think you'll get screened out since you'll have a pending/planned MCAT listed on your application. I would probably go ahead and submit so you can have peace of mind to focus on the MCAT.

FYI, I applied last year and got screened out for having too low of a gpa by 3 schools (I hadn't really started my full blown grade replacement at that point). The 3 schools that rejected me for the low gpa ALL ended up sending me secondaries once my fall grades came in.

So I think, if for some reason you were to get rejected, they'll take it back once they get that new MCAT score.

I don't think you'll get screened out since you'll have a pending/planned MCAT listed on your application. I would probably go ahead and submit so you can have peace of mind to focus on the MCAT.

FYI, I applied last year and got screened out for having too low of a gpa by 3 schools (I hadn't really started my full blown grade replacement at that point). The 3 schools that rejected me for the low gpa ALL ended up sending me secondaries once my fall grades came in.

So I think, if for some reason you were to get rejected, they'll take it back once they get that new MCAT score.

I would rather not risk it, and I will wait until I get my scores.

What do you guys think about AMCAS? Same thing as AACOMAS? Should I just apply to Harvard Med?